Doug Flutie Retires - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Doug Flutie Retires

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby VaderFin » Thu May 18, 2006 2:31 pm

Great. Then we should put the best Arena Bowl player of all time in as well. :-t
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheRawDAWG » Fri May 19, 2006 1:12 pm

VaderFin wrote:Great. Then we should put the best Arena Bowl player of all time in as well. :-t

No Warner didn't have the longevity.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby VaderFin » Fri May 19, 2006 2:44 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:
VaderFin wrote:Great. Then we should put the best Arena Bowl player of all time in as well. :-t

No Warner didn't have the longevity.

:-b Warner isn't even one of the Top 10 QBs ever in Arena ball. I'm thinking we could put the best XFL player ever in as well. ;-D
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Flutie

Postby DraftDodger » Sun May 21, 2006 12:50 am

It's too bad that Flutie is getting trashed on nfl.com because they're all afraid he'll get a shot at the Hall of Fame.

I don't think anyone seriously considers him HoF material, but that could've changed so easily. How about when he went 6-3 as a starter for the Pats, with 2 of his 3 losses by a total of 5 points, then Ray "I'm queer on Eason" Berry yanks Flutie and starts Eason in the last couple games of the regular season, causing them to miss the playoffs. Eason makes the 'highlights' with the worst pass of the year. The team was rocking with Flutie, and yanking him was all about avoiding a QB controversy the next year (fat lot of good that did.)

If anyone doubts Flutie's NFL ability, they only have to look at the payback game against Chicago, when Flutie threw four touchdowns (one for 80 yards) and gave Ditka a heart attack.

In all fairness to Flutie, none of the NFL offenses he played in were designed around him, and most of the time when he 'got his chance' to play it was in the fourth quarter with his team down by several scores and after all the other team QBs already had a shot and couldn't do anything.

If Flutie had been in Detroit's run and shoot with Barry Sanders, that team probably would've dominated the league.

Okay, you can't put a guy in the HoF for what might've been, but you can still remember him fondly and appreciate him for the tough competitor that he was.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk