Mecedes Lewis tid bit; Jaguars leading receiver poll - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mecedes Lewis tid bit; Jaguars leading receiver poll

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who will have the most receptions for the Jags

Mercedes Lewis
17%
Matt Jones
65%
Reggie Williams
17%

Total votes : 23

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue May 16, 2006 4:32 pm

mattb47 wrote:
confused_jake wrote:nothing statistical, but from the games i've watched, wilford has showed great potential. now that he will most likely be the #1 target this year i think he will have a breakout year.

I really don't see that happening, I think it is reasonable for him to breakout, but top 10 is very unlikely I think.

That's really the best way to put it. Having a 1,000 yard season and a handful of scores, very possible. Having a 1,400 yard 10-12 score season? That's a different story altogether.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Tue May 16, 2006 7:17 pm

I'm seeing a lot of Wilford hate based mainly on his lack of speed and his draft pedigree. Reggie Williams was supposedly one of the top WR prospects in the same draft as Wilford, and his main drawback was said to be lack of speed as well. Fast forward a couple years, and Ernest Wilford is the guy who has stepped it up and start producing, pushing top10 pick Reggie Williams out of a job. Not only that, but from what I recall, Wilford was the best deep threat on that team not named Jimmy Smith!

Forget about who's supposed to do what and focus on who is DOING what. You can only give a highly rated guy so many chances before you go with the low-rated, better player. Wilford is the ugly stepson of the Jaguar's that no one wants to show any love, but the guy looks poised to EASILY be the #1 WR in 2006 now that Jimmy Smith is gone IMO.

I cannot believe all the Matt Jones love, the Reggie Williams hype, and all the negativity surrounding Ernest Wilford. To me, Wilford was the guy who took the huge step forward around midseason last year and stole the starting job away from Reggie Williams. That is huge considering the guy is a 2nd year, 4th round WR, and Reggie Williams is/was the guy that was drafted in the top10 to be Jimmy Smith's replacement.

Sure, Matt Jones developed quickly and added an important aspect to the offense, but outside of a few spectacular catches the guy was not a real regular contributor. For me, it all boils down to this: Matt Jones was the #3 WR last year and Wilford was the #2 WR. Do you want to gamble on the situational guy coming off his rookie season? The guy who is expected to jump from a role as the slot WR into goto WR for the team? Or do you want to take a chance on the more experienced third year WR, who steadily rose up the depth chart last year into a starting role, and who showed glimpses of being the #1 target last year.
--

Back on topic... Including Mercedes Lewis, a rookie TE, in a leading WR poll and omitting Wilford? :-t
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby portisfan24 » Tue May 16, 2006 9:07 pm

mattb47 wrote:
confused_jake wrote:wow, i know where i can't post my opinion anymore

You have anything to back the statement up at all? Jimmy Smith wasn't even top 10, and I don't see him being even as good as Smith.

Because we all know that in fantasy football, having statistical backing makes you a real winner.

Why can't Wilford be top 10? Lefty gets better all the time, they play soft defenses and he is a good red-zone target. Not saying it is going to happen, or is likely to, but I won't say it can't.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Tue May 16, 2006 10:23 pm

portisfan24 wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
confused_jake wrote:wow, i know where i can't post my opinion anymore

You have anything to back the statement up at all? Jimmy Smith wasn't even top 10, and I don't see him being even as good as Smith.

Because we all know that in fantasy football, having statistical backing makes you a real winner.

Why can't Wilford be top 10? Lefty gets better all the time, they play soft defenses and he is a good red-zone target. Not saying it is going to happen, or is likely to, but I won't say it can't.

Did you see me say that it can't happen? I said I don't see him doing that because I don't believe he's as good or better than Jimmy Smith so I highly doubt he puts up better numbers than Smith did there.

And when I ask someone to back up a statement, I rarely, if ever, mean to back it up with statistics. I expect people to have something to back up their claims if they are going to make a prediction like that. I'm not saying he has to have something brilliant to back up his claim but something that at least points in the direction he is inferring.

Wilford never even got the full time #2 starting job last year and Matt Jones was impressive at times as well. I think it is much more likely that both of those guys produce solid numbers but neither will even approach top 10 numbers. Jacksonville will continue to be a run-oriented team anyway.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Verdun Barbarians » Wed May 17, 2006 5:54 am

I'm glad I grabbed the Marcedes in the 13th round of my dynasty draft (to backup Gonzalez).

I think this guy will be huge in the Jaguars' offense!

Go Jags go!
Verdun Barbarians
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Wed May 17, 2006 7:07 pm

Jones comes on hot this season B-)
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Thu May 18, 2006 9:07 am

in all these posts, there is one thing that i havent seem mentinoed.

How about the fact that jacksonville as a team isnt an offensive powerhouse, and doesnt have many high scoring games. I think that yardage wise, wilford will have a good season, and with receptions, he will also do well.

In a 12 team league with pts per reception and yards, he is probably a solid #2 fantasy WR.

In a league with scoring mostly for TDs, and maybe bonus's for 100 yard games, with no pts per reception, he is at best a #3 WR on a fantasy team.

On a different team, that may be different. And it is possible that the jags are a different team this year. The reason Jimmy Smith was never a top notch fantasy Wr is because the jags just dont score that many touchdowns. Not because he, or in this case wilford, lacks the overall talent.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk