Some Animals Are Predators, Some Animals Are Prey... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Some Animals Are Predators, Some Animals Are Prey...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Some Animals Are Predators, Some Animals Are Prey...

Postby knapplc » Tue May 16, 2006 9:36 am

OOPS!!! The headline for this story should be, "Stupid Zookeepers Get Monkey Killed." Bears eat meat. They are carnivores. Even though this particular species is thought to eat only carrion, very little is actually known about their diet. Why fool around?

Morons.

CNN wrote:Bears eat monkey, visitors shocked

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) -- Bears killed and devoured a monkey in front of horrified visitors at a Dutch zoo, officials and witnesses said.

Visitors reported that the grisly scene began as several bears chased the monkey, a macaque, onto a wooden structure at Beekse Bergen Safari Park.

They said a bear tried unsuccessfully to shake the monkey loose, ignoring attempts by keepers to distract it. The bear then climbed up and grabbed the monkey, mauling it to death and bringing it to its concrete den, where three bears ate it.

The park confirmed the killing. "The habitats here in the safari park are arranged in such a way that one animal almost never kills another, but they are and remain wild animals," it said in a statement.

The attack occurred in an area of the zoo that contains both monkeys and sloth bears, a type of black bear found in the Asian subcontinent.

The park said it plans now to move the macaques to another part of the park.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jimboozie » Tue May 16, 2006 9:41 am

How come nothing like that ever happens when I go to the zoo?

Those zookeepers must be very optimistic or very stupid.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Tue May 16, 2006 10:19 am

RawR
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jayday » Tue May 16, 2006 11:41 am

A big Wag of the Finger to you Mr. Bear.....You're on my watch list :D

jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue May 16, 2006 12:32 pm

Eh, that's what animals do. They eat each other. Don't give anyone any candy coated version of life in the wild, with all natures beasts living in harmony. Next time make it interesting...let loose a croc or a lion or something and let's witness survival of the fittest! Well, maybe we can reserve that for the 18 and older portion of my dream zoo.

WARNING! Something WILL be eaten here today. If you have a heart condition or a weak stomach, you may want to proceed directly to the petting zoo. Thank you, and come again!
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby knapplc » Tue May 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:Eh, that's what animals do. They eat each other. Don't give anyone any candy coated version of life in the wild, with all natures beasts living in harmony.

That's so not true. Dude, I've seen The Lion King and Madagascar - they don't eat each other. Animals live together in peace and camaraderie, and they often break out into song.

I don't know what your agenda is, but this whole "animals eat each other thing" just isn't true.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mysticphysh » Tue May 16, 2006 12:46 pm

jayday wrote:A big Wag of the Finger to you Mr. Bear.....You're on my watch list :D

It's the threatdown! :-b

You know this story is going to make it onto his show ;-D

knapplc wrote:That's so not true. Dude, I've seen The Lion King and Madagascar - they don't eat each other.

In all fairness, the lion in Madagascar DID try to eat the Zebra's bum... :-D
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby terpfan » Tue May 16, 2006 12:49 pm

The park said it plans now to move the macaques to another part of the park.

Naaaaww really?? :-b

And yeah, I will definately be watching the Colbert Report tonight for this story!
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue May 16, 2006 1:02 pm

Technically, bears aren't carnivores, they're omnivores.

Black bears, polar bear and grizzly bears are members of the carnivora order, but they are omnivores.

Just being a nitpicking jerk today, sorry.

Don't zookeepers have to have some sort of education that would have gone over what bears eat? I mean, monkey's may not have technically been on the list, but 'other animals' probably would have been.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue May 16, 2006 3:48 pm

This happened in Amsterdam. It's fairly obvious that the zookeepers visited one too many 'coffee' shops before going to work that day.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Next

Return to General Talk