'Survivor' Winner Sentenced to 51 Months - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

'Survivor' Winner Sentenced to 51 Months

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Balanced Man » Tue May 16, 2006 1:56 pm

By ERIC TUCKER, Associated Press Writer

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Richard Hatch, who won $1 million in the debut season of "Survivor," was sentenced Tuesday to 51 months in prison for failing to pay income taxes on his reality TV prize and other earnings.

U.S. District Judge Ernest Torres said he issued a harsher than expected sentence because Hatch had committed perjury repeatedly during his trial.

"It seems unfortunately very clear to me that Mr. Hatch lied," Torres said. When Hatch was convicted, Torres said he expected to sentence him to 33 to 41 months.

"I believe I've been completely truthful and completely forthcoming throughout the entire process," Hatch told the judge before he was sentenced.

Hatch claimed he thought the show's producers would pay his taxes and pleaded ignorance about money matters, saying he forgot to tell his accountants about some income.

"Survivor" earned CBS a ratings hit. Hatch became known as "the fat naked guy" — a term coined by David Letterman — for refusing to wear clothes for much of the show.

Hatch sowed seeds of conflict among his competitors, and an estimated 51 million viewers were watching when he received his winning check.

At times, he seemed to handle his criminal case like an extended reality TV competition. He abruptly walked away from a plea deal with prosecutors and pleaded his innocence to Katie Couric on the "Today" show.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060516/ap_ ... ivor_taxes
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Tue May 16, 2006 2:04 pm

Isn't he supposedly out of money, too? 4+ years in the pokey plus he'll be poor when he gets out.

Yeah, I'm thinking he's probably really happy he got that call from Survivor right about now. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue May 16, 2006 2:09 pm

What's 'Survivor'?

;-)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue May 16, 2006 3:45 pm

That's ridiculous. I'm not saying that he shouldn't get in trouble for this, but 4+ years is way too much. :-t

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue May 16, 2006 3:46 pm

Maybe he can make more dough by filming a reality show about his life in prison ...

Survivor 46! Avoiding Gang Rape!

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby terpfan » Tue May 16, 2006 3:54 pm

OUCH that hurts.... Long way to fall, I kinda feel bad for him. (although not paying the taxes, come on thats pretty dumb)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue May 16, 2006 4:27 pm

At least he won't have to worry about dropping soap in the shower. ;-7
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Tue May 16, 2006 4:37 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:That's ridiculous. I'm not saying that he shouldn't get in trouble for this, but 4+ years is way too much. :-t

It does seem kind of high, but he essentially stole $327,000 from the govt and then committed perjury on top of it. If he's broke, he obviously can't pay that money back, so what other recourse do they have?
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby mysticphysh » Thu May 18, 2006 11:55 am

The Survivor host made a joke about this when the new winner was announced this past sunday. He said "I only have one piece of advice for you...PAY YOUR TAXES".

I had no idea what he was talking about until just now when I came and read this thread. 4 years is kind of harsh when Martha Stewart only got something like 6 months or something plus probation? And she basically did the same thing, stole money and lied about it.

As far as the gang rape survivor comment, well Hatch is gay, so he'll probably do just fine :-b
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu May 18, 2006 2:12 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:At least he won't have to worry about dropping soap in the shower. ;-7

man...that's just wrong
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk