Trading rules? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Trading rules?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trading rules?

Postby skinsrule » Wed May 17, 2006 7:14 am

What are good trading rules amongest managers. Please give me what your league uses. I want to have the least possible problems with this. This is a 12 team head-to-head redraft league. Playoffs start week 14-16.
skinsrule
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Popcynical » Wed May 17, 2006 9:20 am

Trading rule? Uhm, well in my league, we work out a trade via PM. Then we post it on the forums. Before the trade goes through, one of the commissioners must approve it.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby skinsrule » Wed May 17, 2006 9:45 am

thanks. I need someone to post their rules that work. When should the trading deadline be? How many managers need to approve a trade if any? When is the trading period start after draft? How much for a trade? Should it be the same amount as waiver transactions?
skinsrule
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed May 17, 2006 12:00 pm

You definitely want to have the trade deadline a few weeks (maybe three or four) before the playoffs start. You could theoretically start trading right after the draft if you really want; that's no big deal.

You can either have the commissioner oversee or approve trades or have the whole league look at it and give them "veto" power if a certain number of owners thinks there is collusion of some sort. That depends on whether you want a dictatorship or democracy... :-b Both methods work although weird trades do sometimes cause problems between owners.

How much for a trade? Nothing really...it's just a trade. You shouldn't lose waiver priority for it or anything like that. I suppose you're talking about real money thrown into a pool though. I have no experience with that although I suppose it would be about the same as a waiver move.

Hope those help. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dexter II » Wed May 17, 2006 7:36 pm

Here are the trade rules for my main league. Auction draft, 10 teams, 0 to 3 one season keepers, playoffs start in Week 14.

"An owner may make an unlimited number of trades up through the Thursday prior to Week 10 of the season. All finalized trades must be submitted to the Commish for approval.

Once a player has been traded from Team A to Team B he may not be traded back to Team A for at least four weeks from the original trade date.

Trades can be challenged by other owners. Challenges must be made to the Commish within 24 hours of the completed trade."

We also allow offseason trades and traded players retain keeper eligibility.
Fatalism Helps with the Jump but not the Fall
Dexter II
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Web SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Infidel » Wed May 17, 2006 10:42 pm

Dexter II wrote:Here are the trade rules for my main league. Auction draft, 10 teams, 0 to 3 one season keepers, playoffs start in Week 14.

"An owner may make an unlimited number of trades up through the Thursday prior to Week 10 of the season. All finalized trades must be submitted to the Commish for approval.

Once a player has been traded from Team A to Team B he may not be traded back to Team A for at least four weeks from the original trade date.

These are the 2nd and 3rd most important rules. As a 15+ yr Commish I will tell you that after much experience and tons of research the most important thing is Commish approval vs league vote. League vote leads to nothing but problems. But, you have to have a Commish who is impartial, above reproach and does his homework when approving or vetoing a trade.
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Horizons » Thu May 18, 2006 10:46 am

Mercer Boy wrote:You definitely want to have the trade deadline a few weeks (maybe three or four) before the playoffs start. You could theoretically start trading right after the draft if you really want; that's no big deal.

You can either have the commissioner oversee or approve trades or have the whole league look at it and give them "veto" power if a certain number of owners thinks there is collusion of some sort. That depends on whether you want a dictatorship or democracy... :-b Both methods work although weird trades do sometimes cause problems between owners.

How much for a trade? Nothing really...it's just a trade. You shouldn't lose waiver priority for it or anything like that. I suppose you're talking about real money thrown into a pool though. I have no experience with that although I suppose it would be about the same as a waiver move.

Hope those help. ;-D

After being a commissioner in several leagues for 7 plus years, I've found the "democracy" approach works the best for me. I always put trades to a league vote if an owner voices concern.
Don't give up the ship...........sell it!!
Horizons
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 12)
Location: Somewhere on the "Trail of Tears" between the tube and GameCenter

Postby cha » Fri May 19, 2006 8:34 pm

my approach is that we cut off trades around right after week 10. i am the commish of mine and i just try and use my best judgment....although i will take other owners opinions into consideration. we run a dynasty so it gets tricky when someone wants to move a good player with draft picks involved. sure your opinion will anger a owner when you block their trade but i have learned its better to anger one or two than 8 of them.
cha
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Infidel » Sat May 20, 2006 12:40 am

cha wrote:my approach is that we cut off trades around right after week 10. i am the commish of mine and i just try and use my best judgment....although i will take other owners opinions into consideration. we run a dynasty so it gets tricky when someone wants to move a good player with draft picks involved. sure your opinion will anger a owner when you block their trade but i have learned its better to anger one or two than 8 of them.

The point I tried to make earlier. A strong Commish who knows his stuff is the key to a good league. To be a Commish, you have to be very knowledgable and defend (with facts) your position vis-a-vis trades. Then never back down. Once you have made your decision, that's it. You are done.
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk