Keeping Teens out of Gangs... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Keeping Teens out of Gangs...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu May 18, 2006 2:15 pm

Bound By Honor: Blood In, Blood Out is a good gang movie about Latinos
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby houstonherdfan » Fri May 19, 2006 11:01 pm

how bout finding a copy of the show "Scared Striaght" and the follow up 20 years later. I saw both it might be pretty sobering. The one thing I remember about both shows is that in the original all of the kids were given a number. And that was their inmate number for the day. In the follow up 20 years lter all of them remembered the number they were given.

You got to see those shows to understand how intense they were.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sixxgunn » Sat May 20, 2006 7:50 am

Send them to the military. That should straighten them out. Oh wait, no it doesn't. These a**holes are now tagging buildings in Iraq. Iraq! Like there are rival gangs to defend your "turf" from there! There is no hope for our youth. They are too weak minded to say no, and once it takes root they are completely lost. That's why you have 45 year old gangbangers in prison. I'm sorry to sound so bleak, but it's the god awful truth of the matter. I live in this crap everyday, and I see it start as young as 7-8 years old, and there is no helping kids that don't want to be helped.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat May 20, 2006 9:38 am

Sixxgunn wrote:Send them to the military. That should straighten them out. Oh wait, no it doesn't. These a**holes are now tagging buildings in Iraq. Iraq! Like there are rival gangs to defend your "turf" from there! There is no hope for our youth. They are too weak minded to say no, and once it takes root they are completely lost. That's why you have 45 year old gangbangers in prison. I'm sorry to sound so bleak, but it's the god awful truth of the matter. I live in this crap everyday, and I see it start as young as 7-8 years old, and there is no helping kids that don't want to be helped.

Let's just give up then. :-t

Most kids in this situation don't know anything else, so of course they're not going to 'want' to change it. If you know nothing else, change can be scary. By showing kids there is something else, a real purpose in life, you can give them a window of hope. Nothing is fool-proof. A lot of them will fall through the cracks. I got into an awful lot of trouble when I was a teenager/early 20s, but when a young man realizes there's more than just himself to consider, perception changes.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Sixxgunn » Sat May 20, 2006 9:49 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:Send them to the military. That should straighten them out. Oh wait, no it doesn't. These a**holes are now tagging buildings in Iraq. Iraq! Like there are rival gangs to defend your "turf" from there! There is no hope for our youth. They are too weak minded to say no, and once it takes root they are completely lost. That's why you have 45 year old gangbangers in prison. I'm sorry to sound so bleak, but it's the god awful truth of the matter. I live in this crap everyday, and I see it start as young as 7-8 years old, and there is no helping kids that don't want to be helped.

Most kids in this situation don't know anything else, so of course they're not going to 'want' to change it. If you know nothing else, change can be scary. By showing kids there is something else, a real purpose in life, you can give them a window of hope. Nothing is fool-proof. A lot of them will fall through the cracks. I got into an awful lot of trouble when I was a teenager/early 20s, but when a young man realizes there's more than just himself to consider, perception changes.

Exactly my point. YOU realized there needed to be a change, and you made it. These kids now refuse to be helped, and if they can't get it on their own it will never get better. I'm sorry, but people know right from wrong at an early age. Hell, even dogs know right from wrong, although they often do the wrong thing anyway. How many times has your dog tore up the garbage, and then hid when you came in the room? People are the same way, except the need for instant gratification overrides their basic knowledge of right from wrong. I'm not necessarily saying give up, but everyone needs to stop pitying these criminals and start treating them as criminals. Jail will not make the situation go away, in fact it's proven to be the opposite. But I'd much rather have a gun-toting punk in jail where the only people he can hurt are other people like himself, than on the outside where 80 year old grandmothers and 8 year old kids are the unfortunate victims of these "misunderstood" youths.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat May 20, 2006 10:08 am

Sixxgunn wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

Exactly my point. YOU realized there needed to be a change, and you made it. These kids now refuse to be helped, and if they can't get it on their own it will never get better. I'm sorry, but people know right from wrong at an early age. Hell, even dogs know right from wrong, although they often do the wrong thing anyway. How many times has your dog tore up the garbage, and then hid when you came in the room? People are the same way, except the need for instant gratification overrides their basic knowledge of right from wrong. I'm not necessarily saying give up, but everyone needs to stop pitying these criminals and start treating them as criminals. Jail will not make the situation go away, in fact it's proven to be the opposite. But I'd much rather have a gun-toting punk in jail where the only people he can hurt are other people like himself, than on the outside where 80 year old grandmothers and 8 year old kids are the unfortunate victims of these "misunderstood" youths.

Disagree.

Agree.

Agree.

I think the difference between right and wrong is learned. Obviously the laws of our day should be able to give you an idea what wrong is, but too many parents don't teach right from wrong nowadays. The only reason my dog puts her tail between her legs after getting in the trash is because of past consequences. Too many parents forgot what consequences are. They're too lazy and it's possibly ruined their kids. Those of us who are fortunate to have the time and resources need to take the opportunity to help these kids when they're young so they can hopefully avoid ruining their lives and, quite possibly, others.
I completely agree with punishing criminals. If a kid breaks the law, he needs to pay the price. I am normally not a big supporter of general rehabilitation of violent criminals, but in the case of kids, I'd prefer it. They have a much better chance of turning things around than, say, a 40-year old.
For myself it took my mother passing away and my son being born. I was taught that importance of family so these things effected me deeply. Some kids don't know the importance of family, some, it's the exact opposite. They only know the disfunction of family so losing a parent or becoming one doesn't effect them as much. Some gangs, especially Latino, consider it a badge of honor if you impregnate and leave a young girl. It's sick. They have no concept of responsibility.
Responsibility isn't always fun, but at the end of the day, you feel as if you accomplished something. If you include kids in something much more constructive than breaking rules, their perception changes.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Sat May 20, 2006 10:44 am

What about Gangs of New York? It's about a different era but it shows that gangs are dangerous....
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Previous

Return to General Talk