What about Jamal Lewis? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What about Jamal Lewis?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What about Jamal Lewis?

Postby ampant » Wed May 17, 2006 10:02 pm

Going into last year's draft, he was considered by most to be a top 5 back. Despite the fact that he sucked all last year, I still see people talkin about him like he's one of the better RBs available (top 15?). Last year people kept preaching "just wait, he'll get back into form, now he's getting his blocking fullback back, etc." It never really happened. He had like 1 good game. And now he's got Mike Anderson breathing down his neck (who actually WAS a top 13 or so fantasy back last year).

Is he even going to start? (Mabye we'll know more once preseason is over). Just curious what everybody's take is on this guy. I don't think I would even consider him before the 5th, and then only in a deeper league.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby michaelavelli » Wed May 17, 2006 10:09 pm

He was not considered a top 5 back in last year's draft. Most drafts I saw he went somewhere between 10 - 18.

But, that's not really your point.

I would take him in the 3rd. I think you can point to specific factors that might have lead to his problems last year - mainly, his injured ankle that he had to rehab in prison. Ogden was also hurt for a few games last year and Boller, as usual, didn't command much respect from opposing defenses.

I don't blame anyong for having him on their do-not-draft list, but I think with McNair under center there (which appears likely), and a full off-season of rehab, Lewis would return to being a top 10 RB.
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Wed May 17, 2006 10:11 pm

I, for one, didn't see Jamal doing well this year. He had a horrendous off season which never bodes well for a good showing. He was recovering from an injury he had the year before and he was doing so in jail. There are concerns about players when they have injuries and are able to recover in ideal conditions, so him being in jail I had low expectations for him. Regardless of what you may think, you go into the season being out of football shape because of a poor off season and you wont get into shape during the season. Throw in there that his FB was indeed injuried for a large majority of the year and they didn't have a backup, and that their defense was a huge letdown last season and you end up with a pretty crappy year.

Mike Anderson was a former FB. Bringing him in solves two problems for them....(1) He becomes the primary backup at RB for Jamal to replace the loss of Chester Taylor and (2) He becomes the primary backup at FB in case they have a similar problem as last year. I think he'll really bounce back this year and put up solid numbers. His value this year is the late 2nd round, early 3rd round.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Thu May 18, 2006 12:20 am

Steal in the 3rd round. I plan on drafting him in every league possible.

Last year was the exact opposite. Jamal was majorly overrated as a top5 pick. Chester Taylor's progression as a pass-catching RB doomed Jamal to be a 2 down RB (no possibility of being a top5 RB whatsoever). Additionally, Lewis never properly rehabbed off his ankle injury from his STINT IN PRISON. Yes, that was last year remember? The guy is basically coming off a nightmare season where nothing went right, and everybody is now putting him on their avoid list. The guy rushed for 3.4ypc last year, but he is career 4.4 rusher (yes that's after you factor in the 3.4 season).

This season everything is going right for Jamal. He just signed basically a 1 year deal, so you know he will be hungry. The team kept him over Chester Taylor, so you know they still have the confidence in him. This offseason he is in a position to do everything right to get himself ready, with no major surgery, no minor prison time, no media circus, etc.

The Raven's as a team are turning the corner, and their offense will be the strongest it has been since Jamal was installed as the franchise RB. The McNair signing is eminent, and with him they are very strong playoff candidates, just look at the pieces. Their WR core went from one of the worst in the league to tophalf of the league overnight, and McNair can make that offense instantly credible. And although the defense is getting older and less studly, they are more than enough to keep them in virtually every game.

This is where Jamal comes in. The playbook, for the first time in Jamal's career, will be BALANCED. More room to run, more playcalling options on third down, less pressure on Jamal. With Taylor gone, Lewis has the opportunity to be a 3-down RB again, and to rush for as far as his legs can carry him. He's still not gonna catch a ton of passes and rack up the combined yardage, but the potential is there for a 1,500+ season.

His backup, Mike Anderson, is basically an older, slower, weaker clone of Jamal so there is little competition for touches. The presence of Anderson is actually a big reason why I think Jamal can do great things this year. Anderson can come in and take some of the pounding off when they need him to, but he is not so good that he will compete for playing time with Jamal.

2006: Jamal is gonna go back to his 1300+ rushing yard self, with a decent chance to see double digit TDs in the renewed offense. Definite top10 potential, and you can grab him in the third round when busts waiting to happen like Willis Mcgahee are long gone.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby bagobonez » Thu May 18, 2006 9:22 am

Kensat30 wrote:Steal in the 3rd round. I plan on drafting him in every league possible.

Last year was the exact opposite. Jamal was majorly overrated as a top5 pick. Chester Taylor's progression as a pass-catching RB doomed Jamal to be a 2 down RB (no possibility of being a top5 RB whatsoever). Additionally, Lewis never properly rehabbed off his ankle injury from his STINT IN PRISON. Yes, that was last year remember? The guy is basically coming off a nightmare season where nothing went right, and everybody is now putting him on their avoid list. The guy rushed for 3.4ypc last year, but he is career 4.4 rusher (yes that's after you factor in the 3.4 season).

This season everything is going right for Jamal. He just signed basically a 1 year deal, so you know he will be hungry. The team kept him over Chester Taylor, so you know they still have the confidence in him. This offseason he is in a position to do everything right to get himself ready, with no major surgery, no minor prison time, no media circus, etc.

The Raven's as a team are turning the corner, and their offense will be the strongest it has been since Jamal was installed as the franchise RB. The McNair signing is eminent, and with him they are very strong playoff candidates, just look at the pieces. Their WR core went from one of the worst in the league to tophalf of the league overnight, and McNair can make that offense instantly credible. And although the defense is getting older and less studly, they are more than enough to keep them in virtually every game.

This is where Jamal comes in. The playbook, for the first time in Jamal's career, will be BALANCED. More room to run, more playcalling options on third down, less pressure on Jamal. With Taylor gone, Lewis has the opportunity to be a 3-down RB again, and to rush for as far as his legs can carry him. He's still not gonna catch a ton of passes and rack up the combined yardage, but the potential is there for a 1,500+ season.

His backup, Mike Anderson, is basically an older, slower, weaker clone of Jamal so there is little competition for touches. The presence of Anderson is actually a big reason why I think Jamal can do great things this year. Anderson can come in and take some of the pounding off when they need him to, but he is not so good that he will compete for playing time with Jamal.

2006: Jamal is gonna go back to his 1300+ rushing yard self, with a decent chance to see double digit TDs in the renewed offense. Definite top10 potential, and you can grab him in the third round when busts waiting to happen like Willis Mcgahee are long gone.

Well put. The only thing not mentioned however was his offensive line. THey didn't perform so well last year, for whatever reason, despite being touted as one of the best run-blocking O-lines in the NFL. Did Baltimore do much to change that? Or is it just a case of the O-line needing to be re-motivated with McNair as their new leader?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Horizons » Thu May 18, 2006 10:37 am

I'd take a shot drafting him in the 3rd as a #2, but no sooner. I realize this year's preseason is much more encouraging than last year, however, after being totally burned last year I'm in a "show-me", mode this year.
Don't give up the ship...........sell it!!
Horizons
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 12)
Location: Somewhere on the "Trail of Tears" between the tube and GameCenter

Postby Daddymike59 » Thu May 18, 2006 12:29 pm

I have an opportunity to trade for Jamal, my 2.09 this year and next years 2nd rounder in a Cafe Keeper Lg. Would this be too much to give up for him? I really see him having a more Jamal like year this year. Any feedback on his trade value in Keeper lgs?

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu May 18, 2006 12:39 pm

Daddymike59 wrote:I have an opportunity to trade for Jamal, my 2.09 this year and next years 2nd rounder in a Cafe Keeper Lg. Would this be too much to give up for him? I really see him having a more Jamal like year this year. Any feedback on his trade value in Keeper lgs?

He's not old... 27? Two 2nd round rookie picks (one being very late, the other TBD) sounds like a favorable deal for you. His upside is greater than unproven rookies landing that far into the draft

Edit: And I'm not a Jamal fan / backer
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ampant » Thu May 18, 2006 12:50 pm

Thanks for the insight. Kensat in particular, makes some good points. ;-D Mabye I'll look to snag him in the 3rd if he's still around. It will probably depend on my draft position.

So, nobody sees Mike Anderson as a threat to steal his job, or to force RBBC?
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby michaelavelli » Thu May 18, 2006 1:41 pm

ampant wrote:Thanks for the insight. Kensat in particular, makes some good points. ;-D Mabye I'll look to snag him in the 3rd if he's still around. It will probably depend on my draft position.

So, nobody sees Mike Anderson as a threat to steal his job, or to force RBBC?

Not taking away from Anderson's season last year, but the guy was a product of the Denver system. I think he's a good, not great, RB. If Lewis is healthy I don't think he loses significan carries from Anderson.

I've already read some things out of Baltimore suggesting Anderson might even be used more as a fullback.
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk