What about Jamal Lewis? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What about Jamal Lewis?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby michaelavelli » Thu May 18, 2006 1:42 pm

Daddymike59 wrote:I have an opportunity to trade for Jamal, my 2.09 this year and next years 2nd rounder in a Cafe Keeper Lg. Would this be too much to give up for him? I really see him having a more Jamal like year this year. Any feedback on his trade value in Keeper lgs?

I'd take this deal and run.

Even if you're not a Lewis believe, a starting young RB for 2nd round picks that might net you a low tier WR or something is easily worth the risk.
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu May 18, 2006 3:19 pm

id draft him in the 3rd round. i think he's gonna bounce back, but 2nd round is just too much for him.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu May 18, 2006 10:01 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Steal in the 3rd round. I plan on drafting him in every league possible.

Last year was the exact opposite. Jamal was majorly overrated as a top5 pick. Chester Taylor's progression as a pass-catching RB doomed Jamal to be a 2 down RB (no possibility of being a top5 RB whatsoever). Additionally, Lewis never properly rehabbed off his ankle injury from his STINT IN PRISON. Yes, that was last year remember? The guy is basically coming off a nightmare season where nothing went right, and everybody is now putting him on their avoid list. The guy rushed for 3.4ypc last year, but he is career 4.4 rusher (yes that's after you factor in the 3.4 season).

This season everything is going right for Jamal. He just signed basically a 1 year deal, so you know he will be hungry. The team kept him over Chester Taylor, so you know they still have the confidence in him. This offseason he is in a position to do everything right to get himself ready, with no major surgery, no minor prison time, no media circus, etc.

The Raven's as a team are turning the corner, and their offense will be the strongest it has been since Jamal was installed as the franchise RB. The McNair signing is eminent, and with him they are very strong playoff candidates, just look at the pieces. Their WR core went from one of the worst in the league to tophalf of the league overnight, and McNair can make that offense instantly credible. And although the defense is getting older and less studly, they are more than enough to keep them in virtually every game.

This is where Jamal comes in. The playbook, for the first time in Jamal's career, will be BALANCED. More room to run, more playcalling options on third down, less pressure on Jamal. With Taylor gone, Lewis has the opportunity to be a 3-down RB again, and to rush for as far as his legs can carry him. He's still not gonna catch a ton of passes and rack up the combined yardage, but the potential is there for a 1,500+ season.

His backup, Mike Anderson, is basically an older, slower, weaker clone of Jamal so there is little competition for touches. The presence of Anderson is actually a big reason why I think Jamal can do great things this year. Anderson can come in and take some of the pounding off when they need him to, but he is not so good that he will compete for playing time with Jamal.

2006: Jamal is gonna go back to his 1300+ rushing yard self, with a decent chance to see double digit TDs in the renewed offense. Definite top10 potential, and you can grab him in the third round when busts waiting to happen like Willis Mcgahee are long gone.

brings back memories quoting and responding to kensat in jamal threads :-b

i have to say tho...you were totally right last year, and although i didnt have jlew top 5, i did have him in the 6-7 range if i remember right.

i completely agree with your logic this year and think he will be a steal in the 3rd rd. hopefully you are right again ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Infidel » Thu May 18, 2006 10:52 pm

The first 4 RD's of my draft are plug and play guys. If they don't get hurt, I am guaranteed production. JL does not fit that bill. Thereafter, I look at guys with upside but you have to draft the core of your team early.
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 19, 2006 9:28 am

dont see him ending up on any of my teams, unless he falls to me as a 3rd RB in the 4th round or later
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby boojumsnark25 » Fri May 19, 2006 9:33 am

I wasn't able to get him on any of my teams this year, but I would have loved to...I think if McNair comes to Baltimore, and they can develop a respectable passing game again, it would do wonders for Jamal. Won't be back to 2000 yard seasons, but I think he'll definitely rebound.
boojumsnark25
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby onnestabe » Fri May 19, 2006 9:58 am

boojumsnark25 wrote:I wasn't able to get him on any of my teams this year, but I would have loved to...I think if McNair comes to Baltimore, and they can develop a respectable passing game again, it would do wonders for Jamal. Won't be back to 2000 yard seasons, but I think he'll definitely rebound.

They had a respectable passing game? :-b
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby WickedSmaat » Fri May 19, 2006 11:44 am

I don't see myself drafting him at all mostly because I'll probably be targeting my main RBs in first few rounds and then look for possible rookie breakouts later. After that season last year I don't know if I'd want to take a chance at all on him :-o
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri May 19, 2006 8:19 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Steal in the 3rd round. I plan on drafting him in every league possible.

Last year was the exact opposite. Jamal was majorly overrated as a top5 pick. Chester Taylor's progression as a pass-catching RB doomed Jamal to be a 2 down RB (no possibility of being a top5 RB whatsoever). Additionally, Lewis never properly rehabbed off his ankle injury from his STINT IN PRISON. Yes, that was last year remember? The guy is basically coming off a nightmare season where nothing went right, and everybody is now putting him on their avoid list. The guy rushed for 3.4ypc last year, but he is career 4.4 rusher (yes that's after you factor in the 3.4 season).

This season everything is going right for Jamal. He just signed basically a 1 year deal, so you know he will be hungry. The team kept him over Chester Taylor, so you know they still have the confidence in him. This offseason he is in a position to do everything right to get himself ready, with no major surgery, no minor prison time, no media circus, etc.

The Raven's as a team are turning the corner, and their offense will be the strongest it has been since Jamal was installed as the franchise RB. The McNair signing is eminent, and with him they are very strong playoff candidates, just look at the pieces. Their WR core went from one of the worst in the league to tophalf of the league overnight, and McNair can make that offense instantly credible. And although the defense is getting older and less studly, they are more than enough to keep them in virtually every game.

This is where Jamal comes in. The playbook, for the first time in Jamal's career, will be BALANCED. More room to run, more playcalling options on third down, less pressure on Jamal. With Taylor gone, Lewis has the opportunity to be a 3-down RB again, and to rush for as far as his legs can carry him. He's still not gonna catch a ton of passes and rack up the combined yardage, but the potential is there for a 1,500+ season.

His backup, Mike Anderson, is basically an older, slower, weaker clone of Jamal so there is little competition for touches. The presence of Anderson is actually a big reason why I think Jamal can do great things this year. Anderson can come in and take some of the pounding off when they need him to, but he is not so good that he will compete for playing time with Jamal.

2006: Jamal is gonna go back to his 1300+ rushing yard self, with a decent chance to see double digit TDs in the renewed offense. Definite top10 potential, and you can grab him in the third round when busts waiting to happen like Willis Mcgahee are long gone.

brings back memories quoting and responding to kensat in jamal threads :-b

i have to say tho...you were totally right last year, and although i didnt have jlew top 5, i did have him in the 6-7 range if i remember right.

i completely agree with your logic this year and think he will be a steal in the 3rd rd. hopefully you are right again ;-D

Steal in the third round? He's a steal in the early second, in my opinion. I agree with Kensat and Delux_247 (fixed it ... :-b ) on this one.

A couple other factors to consider ...

- Jamal's contract is structured so that Jamal stands to make much more money if he performs ... the Ravens can cut him loose and not take too big a hit. So Jamal will still be running for that dough. And on the flip side, since he does have some sort of structure to his contract now, he is no longer going to run like he's afraid of being hurt.

- The two-year rule still applies to RBs and injuries. When Jamal went down in 2004, he was on pace to hit 1300-1400 yards. Then the RB needs a rehab year, and usually you're back running. When Edge went down in 2001, he had a off year in 2002 that was very comprabable to Jamal last season (Edge ran for 989 yards in 14 games in '02; Jamal ran for 906 yards in 15 games last season). Yet in 2003, Edge ran for 1259 yards in 13 games ... on track to rush 1600 had he been OK the whole year. To be honest, I can't think of any more examples right now, but there have been others. (Little help?)

- This offseason, Jamal will be in an environment more conducive to training. Prison and one-hour outside doesn't exactly cut it for NFL athletes. Hopefully, he's been running since January.

Jamal will bounce back this year. Don't overlook him ... unless you're in my league. :-b

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bagobonez » Sat May 20, 2006 7:41 am

Another problem is... Jamal is a one-dimensional RB. He will never win you games with his receiving skills. So if he IS going to rebound, it's got to be on the ground. He needs to rush for at least 1,400.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk