Food for thought (or out to lunch?) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Food for thought (or out to lunch?)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Food for thought (or out to lunch?)

Postby stomperrob » Thu May 18, 2006 2:18 am

Couldn't resist posting the RB tiers by that "expert" that everyone loves to hate, Funny Funston:
http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis ... antasy/nfl

Comments?
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 177)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Thu May 18, 2006 5:16 am

Wow, this might be the best fantasy article Funston ever wrote. First 4 tiers are pretty good (I think he's a little high on Edge, but otherwise...) Unfortunately, its after those first 4 that he does stupid stuff like putting Thomas Jones in tier 6 and Cedric Benson in tier 9.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Free Bagel » Thu May 18, 2006 7:18 am

He probably just copied and pasted someone's post from here.

Don't worry, when mock drafts roll around we'll still see Funston taking Dayne, Bell, and Cobbs in rounds 2, 3, and 4 respectively.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby chchelse » Thu May 18, 2006 3:31 pm

Hey, Free Bagel, I was intrigued by your analysis of Edge last year and came to many of the same conclusions as you considering his TD potential in a pass heavy offense. Obviously we were mistaken. What is your opinion of Edge in Arizona, and considering Indy's loss, do you believe they will go back to the RZ offense of 2 years ago, meaning record numbers for Manning?
chchelse
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby CC » Thu May 18, 2006 3:51 pm

Free Bagel wrote:He probably just copied and pasted someone's post from here.

Don't worry, when mock drafts roll around we'll still see Funston taking Dayne, Bell, and Cobbs in rounds 2, 3, and 4 respectively.

Ahh, legendary logic by Funston. Spending his 3rd to 5thj round picks on 3 mediocre backs will result in one top 10 calibre player. Never mind that a 3rd, 4th, and 5th round pick aren't worth a 1st round pick since you will have no depth, but all of those guys were bums in 2004 (Hearst, Bell, Anderson).
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu May 18, 2006 4:46 pm

maddog60 wrote:Wow, this might be the best fantasy article Funston ever wrote. First 4 tiers are pretty good (I think he's a little high on Edge, but otherwise...) Unfortunately, its after those first 4 that he does stupid stuff like putting Thomas Jones in tier 6 and Cedric Benson in tier 9.

I'm not sure why these are bad spots for Jones and Bensen. Bensen didn't prove anything last year and Jones proved he again is underrated in the NFL. I see this the same as last year. Bensen comes in and shows what he can't do and Jones at least takes 60% of the committee.

This is actually a great projection IMO. Don't get to big him up much but these are pretty good teirs. Of course like others have said lets see his mocks coming out.

BTW, did you happen to see T.Jones go in the first round of an "experts" draft this past week? Now thats crazy!!!
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby maddog60 » Thu May 18, 2006 5:11 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:
maddog60 wrote:Wow, this might be the best fantasy article Funston ever wrote. First 4 tiers are pretty good (I think he's a little high on Edge, but otherwise...) Unfortunately, its after those first 4 that he does stupid stuff like putting Thomas Jones in tier 6 and Cedric Benson in tier 9.

I'm not sure why these are bad spots for Jones and Bensen. Bensen didn't prove anything last year and Jones proved he again is underrated in the NFL. I see this the same as last year. Bensen comes in and shows what he can't do and Jones at least takes 60% of the committee.

T Jones was and probably still is being shopped around by the Bears. That's bad news for any veteran RB in fantsy football. Combine that with Benson, a high paid, younger player, sitting there on the bench, pressure to play him. Oh, and when did Benson becomea no talent bum? He's the only top RB from his class that proved he could handle a featured role.

Benson easily over T Jones, because I'd rather have the guy that's starting in the second half of the year, when games get more important.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mysticphysh » Thu May 18, 2006 5:23 pm

The 1st and 2nd tiers alright, but then he went all crazy. Of course, the 1st and 2nd tiers are the easiest to do. :-?
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu May 18, 2006 5:51 pm

maddog60 wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:

T Jones was and probably still is being shopped around by the Bears. That's bad news for any veteran RB in fantsy football. Combine that with Benson, a high paid, younger player, sitting there on the bench, pressure to play him. Oh, and when did Benson becomea no talent bum? He's the only top RB from his class that proved he could handle a featured role.

Benson easily over T Jones, because I'd rather have the guy that's starting in the second half of the year, when games get more important.

How did he prove he could handle a full load? he didn't play most of the year. Unless you are talking about college...which means absolutely nothing.

Also, Benson isn't the best pass catching RB either so he would probably be taken out on 3rd downs. Lets see him play then make judgement. Benson hasn't played much at all in the NFL. And you can't judge players on what MIGHT happen. Jones is still on the bears and Funston has to go with that.

I will agree, Benson will get his shot. But I think he will blow it and he'll end up with LESS carries towards the end of the year.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jdogg_ffc » Sat May 20, 2006 9:31 pm

With NY drafting the best tackle and center in the draft I see Dillon as a nice 4th round sleeper in this yrs. FF draft.
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk