Food for thought (or out to lunch?) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Food for thought (or out to lunch?)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Food for thought (or out to lunch?)

Postby stomperrob » Thu May 18, 2006 2:18 am

Couldn't resist posting the RB tiers by that "expert" that everyone loves to hate, Funny Funston:
http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis ... antasy/nfl

Comments?
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13578
(Past Year: 177)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Postby maddog60 » Thu May 18, 2006 5:16 am

Wow, this might be the best fantasy article Funston ever wrote. First 4 tiers are pretty good (I think he's a little high on Edge, but otherwise...) Unfortunately, its after those first 4 that he does stupid stuff like putting Thomas Jones in tier 6 and Cedric Benson in tier 9.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 9758
Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Thu May 18, 2006 7:18 am

He probably just copied and pasted someone's post from here.

Don't worry, when mock drafts roll around we'll still see Funston taking Dayne, Bell, and Cobbs in rounds 2, 3, and 4 respectively.
Image
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8495
Joined: 25 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Titletown, FL

Postby chchelse » Thu May 18, 2006 3:31 pm

Hey, Free Bagel, I was intrigued by your analysis of Edge last year and came to many of the same conclusions as you considering his TD potential in a pass heavy offense. Obviously we were mistaken. What is your opinion of Edge in Arizona, and considering Indy's loss, do you believe they will go back to the RZ offense of 2 years ago, meaning record numbers for Manning?
chchelse
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator


Posts: 730
Joined: 16 May 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: East Bethel

Postby CC » Thu May 18, 2006 3:51 pm

Free Bagel wrote:He probably just copied and pasted someone's post from here.

Don't worry, when mock drafts roll around we'll still see Funston taking Dayne, Bell, and Cobbs in rounds 2, 3, and 4 respectively.


Ahh, legendary logic by Funston. Spending his 3rd to 5thj round picks on 3 mediocre backs will result in one top 10 calibre player. Never mind that a 3rd, 4th, and 5th round pick aren't worth a 1st round pick since you will have no depth, but all of those guys were bums in 2004 (Hearst, Bell, Anderson).
Image
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11079
Joined: 30 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House.

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu May 18, 2006 4:46 pm

maddog60 wrote:Wow, this might be the best fantasy article Funston ever wrote. First 4 tiers are pretty good (I think he's a little high on Edge, but otherwise...) Unfortunately, its after those first 4 that he does stupid stuff like putting Thomas Jones in tier 6 and Cedric Benson in tier 9.


I'm not sure why these are bad spots for Jones and Bensen. Bensen didn't prove anything last year and Jones proved he again is underrated in the NFL. I see this the same as last year. Bensen comes in and shows what he can't do and Jones at least takes 60% of the committee.

This is actually a great projection IMO. Don't get to big him up much but these are pretty good teirs. Of course like others have said lets see his mocks coming out.

BTW, did you happen to see T.Jones go in the first round of an "experts" draft this past week? Now thats crazy!!!
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1599
Joined: 16 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Up in Canada

Postby maddog60 » Thu May 18, 2006 5:11 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:
maddog60 wrote:Wow, this might be the best fantasy article Funston ever wrote. First 4 tiers are pretty good (I think he's a little high on Edge, but otherwise...) Unfortunately, its after those first 4 that he does stupid stuff like putting Thomas Jones in tier 6 and Cedric Benson in tier 9.


I'm not sure why these are bad spots for Jones and Bensen. Bensen didn't prove anything last year and Jones proved he again is underrated in the NFL. I see this the same as last year. Bensen comes in and shows what he can't do and Jones at least takes 60% of the committee.


T Jones was and probably still is being shopped around by the Bears. That's bad news for any veteran RB in fantsy football. Combine that with Benson, a high paid, younger player, sitting there on the bench, pressure to play him. Oh, and when did Benson becomea no talent bum? He's the only top RB from his class that proved he could handle a featured role.

Benson easily over T Jones, because I'd rather have the guy that's starting in the second half of the year, when games get more important.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 9758
Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mysticphysh » Thu May 18, 2006 5:23 pm

The 1st and 2nd tiers alright, but then he went all crazy. Of course, the 1st and 2nd tiers are the easiest to do. :-?
Image
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 3465
Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu May 18, 2006 5:51 pm

maddog60 wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:
maddog60 wrote:Wow, this might be the best fantasy article Funston ever wrote. First 4 tiers are pretty good (I think he's a little high on Edge, but otherwise...) Unfortunately, its after those first 4 that he does stupid stuff like putting Thomas Jones in tier 6 and Cedric Benson in tier 9.


I'm not sure why these are bad spots for Jones and Bensen. Bensen didn't prove anything last year and Jones proved he again is underrated in the NFL. I see this the same as last year. Bensen comes in and shows what he can't do and Jones at least takes 60% of the committee.


T Jones was and probably still is being shopped around by the Bears. That's bad news for any veteran RB in fantsy football. Combine that with Benson, a high paid, younger player, sitting there on the bench, pressure to play him. Oh, and when did Benson becomea no talent bum? He's the only top RB from his class that proved he could handle a featured role.

Benson easily over T Jones, because I'd rather have the guy that's starting in the second half of the year, when games get more important.


How did he prove he could handle a full load? he didn't play most of the year. Unless you are talking about college...which means absolutely nothing.

Also, Benson isn't the best pass catching RB either so he would probably be taken out on 3rd downs. Lets see him play then make judgement. Benson hasn't played much at all in the NFL. And you can't judge players on what MIGHT happen. Jones is still on the bears and Funston has to go with that.

I will agree, Benson will get his shot. But I think he will blow it and he'll end up with LESS carries towards the end of the year.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1599
Joined: 16 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Up in Canada

Postby jdogg_ffc » Sat May 20, 2006 9:31 pm

With NY drafting the best tackle and center in the draft I see Dillon as a nice 4th round sleeper in this yrs. FF draft.
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1090
Joined: 9 Oct 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: G.R. Mi.

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 11:16 hours
(and 57 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact