Greg jones? week one starter? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Greg jones? week one starter?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Greg jones? week one starter?

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Thu May 18, 2006 9:17 am

just looking for an opinion.

Is greg jones the week one starter in jacksonville? or will taylors seniority ensure that he gets it first, before losing it to jones.

Or does someone else step up? Toefield maybe?

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Thu May 18, 2006 9:18 am

The job is Taylor's to lose until he gets hurt. And when (not if) that happens, I would expect to see RBBC with G.Jones and Toefield.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Balanced Man » Thu May 18, 2006 9:19 am

Consider the Source..... (Funston)

Fred Taylor isn't feeling the love in Jacksonville, especially after the team went out and drafted UCLA mighty mouse speedster Maurice Drew. But, to his credit, he's come into camp with a positive attitude and has taken up the role of a team leader. The thought is that Drew and Greg Jones, in tandem, could represent the team's backfield future. Head coach Jack Del Rio has publicly professed commitment to Taylor, and Taylor's professional attitude could help him stave off the competition one more year. Regardless, it's a situation that bears watching. Jones is a nice later-round option to round your backfield out with since he's likely to get goal-line carries, and he could take on a larger role if Taylor gets hurt or ends up exiting the picture for other reasons.

http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis ... antasy/nfl
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu May 18, 2006 10:38 am

I pity :,-( any FF owner that has to deal with the Jags RB situation.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Thu May 18, 2006 11:36 am

bagobonez wrote:The job is Taylor's to lose until he gets hurt. And when (not if) that happens, I would expect to see RBBC with G.Jones and Toefield.

I think it is likely to see Maurice Drew get into the mix if Taylor isn't the starter there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Drew get some decent time if that happens.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Thu May 18, 2006 11:55 am

mattb47 wrote:
bagobonez wrote:The job is Taylor's to lose until he gets hurt. And when (not if) that happens, I would expect to see RBBC with G.Jones and Toefield.

I think it is likely to see Maurice Drew get into the mix if Taylor isn't the starter there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Drew get some decent time if that happens.

Yeah, I don't see Toefield having a significant role this year, since he didn't do anything when Fragile Freddy went down last year.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby bagobonez » Thu May 18, 2006 3:01 pm

I actually think Greg Jones can be a heck of a starter if given the opportunity. He's 6'1, 250 lbs, has 6% body fat and can run in the 4.5 range. He's a load to bring down in the open field. I'd like to see him get a shot.

Here's two of my favorite videos of him from college.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1MswhjbXmo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wbO3ZOQMbQ

Here's Greg running over the Redskins' Sean Taylor in college.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NiwGp1TM5k
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kensat30 » Thu May 18, 2006 7:02 pm

Fred Taylor = sleeper

One more big season in Jacksonville for Freddy IMO. I'm targeting him as a 4th round pick or later, might be able to slide him into the 5th-6th round range depending on how much hype he receives in training camp/preseason. From what I'm hearing, Taylor is seeing a '04 Curtis Martin-like rejuvenation this offseason. Word is that he is looking the best he has in years.. And I've always though Freddy was an elite, yet under-appreciated, NFL RB.

Greg Jones cannot hold a healthy Fred Taylor's jock BTW. Good luck on Greg Jones being the week 1 starter if Taylor is still on the team and healthy. With the loss of leading WR Jimmy Smith, I think Taylor could very easily be a surprise 350+ touch RB if the offensive focus shifts to ease the pressure on Byron Leftwich.. RB#1 potential late in the draft? Yup, definitely a sleeper.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby CC » Thu May 18, 2006 7:51 pm

I love Greg Jones and think he is a top sleeper this year, however a healthy Fred Taylor is an elite back in the NFL and there is no way Jones can touch him if he is healthy.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Thu May 18, 2006 8:03 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Fred Taylor = sleeper

One more big season in Jacksonville for Freddy IMO. I'm targeting him as a 4th round pick or later, might be able to slide him into the 5th-6th round range depending on how much hype he receives in training camp/preseason. From what I'm hearing, Taylor is seeing a '04 Curtis Martin-like rejuvenation this offseason. Word is that he is looking the best he has in years.. And I've always though Freddy was an elite, yet under-appreciated, NFL RB.

Greg Jones cannot hold a healthy Fred Taylor's jock BTW. Good luck on Greg Jones being the week 1 starter if Taylor is still on the team and healthy. With the loss of leading WR Jimmy Smith, I think Taylor could very easily be a surprise 350+ touch RB if the offensive focus shifts to ease the pressure on Byron Leftwich.. RB#1 potential late in the draft? Yup, definitely a sleeper.

Agreed. I liken this to a couple situations the past few years where everyone just assumed the vet was on his way out despite no real indication to back it up. Fred Taylor will be the starter in Jacksonville until he gets hurt or the season ends, whichever comes first.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Return to Football Talk