Rank'em - Worst Team RBBC risks next year - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rank'em - Worst Team RBBC risks next year

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rank'em - Worst Team RBBC risks next year

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu May 18, 2006 10:52 am

Interested to see how cafe members view each situation and rank them in order of highest risk:

Chicago - Move over Jones - the future is here, hungry, and healthy?

Colts - Rhodes or the Rookie

Dallas - Barber factor?

Denver - No need for comment

Green Bay - Green, Gado, Davenport... pretty busy and injury proned

Jaguars - See GB

Lions - Martz comes, who starts?

Panthers - Fragile Deshaun or the 1st rounder

Patriots - Phase out the Old, in with the New?

San Fran - Gore... for real?

Titans - Brown or White... who helps you win by the time FF playoffs begin?

Vikings - Perennial RBBC, but is Chester Taylor the real-deal?
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rank'em - Worst Team RBBC risks next year

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Thu May 18, 2006 11:17 am

Twisted Sister wrote:Interested to see how cafe members view each situation and rank them in order of highest risk:

Chicago - Move over Jones - the future is here, hungry, and healthy?

Colts - Rhodes or the Rookie

Dallas - Barber factor?

Denver - No need for comment

Green Bay - Green, Gado, Davenport... pretty busy and injury proned

Jaguars - See GB

Lions - Martz comes, who starts?

Panthers - Fragile Deshaun or the 1st rounder

Patriots - Phase out the Old, in with the New?

San Fran - Gore... for real?

Titans - Brown or White... who helps you win by the time FF playoffs begin?

Vikings - Perennial RBBC, but is Chester Taylor the real-deal?

ok, I think that if Jones doesnt hold out in chicago, he is the clear cut starter, with benson just filling in when the games are out of hand. If jones runs like he did last year, he is to good not to play full time.

In dallas, i think that jones will eventually get hurt, and barber will be the man.

IN green bay, as long as green stays healthy, he is the feature back. If he gets hurt, then maybe davenport and gado will do a rbbc thing, but if green is healthy, gado wont see much of the field.

In jacksonville, most likely taylor is the man till he gets hurt, then jones comes in.

not all that sure about the rest of your list. have to wait and see

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Thu May 18, 2006 11:32 am

This is how I would put them:

Titans - Most crowded backfield in the NFL with Chris Brown, Travis Henry and Lendale White. So many X-Factors make this situation impossible to predict.

Dallas - Barber played well last year when he got the chance so it could be a lot of split time for JJ and Barber next year.

San Fran - I think it is more likely that Gore and Barlow split than it is that one of them gets the job outright.

Panthers - Because of Foster's injury history, I would expect Williams to get a decent amount of carries each week.

Colts - Addai could end up getting the starting job, but as for right now it is looking like him and Rhodes will split.

Philadelphia - Although the coaches have said they want to get more carries to Westbrook, I don't think it will be effective. He is not a good runner off the ground and Moats was solid when he played last season, I think that Moats will take a decent amount from Westbrook next season.

Cincinnati - At times last year Perry took a good amount of time away from Rudi because he is a much better receiving back. I think you can expect Perry to be the 3rd down back again this season so he'll take a bit away from Rudi.

Denver - Denver is not a dangerous RBBC. It will be one, but because of the nature of the offense, whoever the starter is, most likely Dayne, will put up solid numbers.

Tampa Bay - Caddy is the outright starter but Pittman is a better receiver and Alstott is back as the goal line/short yardage back. So Pittman will likely be there on 3rd downs sometimes and Alstott will take his usual away in short yardage.

Kansas City - If Priest comes back Herm has said there will be a 60/40 split between LJ and Priest's carries which means less production for LJ. This isn't a terrible RBBC though because the KC rush offense is very productive.

Green Bay - Having injury concerns doesn't exactly equal RBBC. Green will be the outright starter come the start of the season I think.

Chicago - I think one of them starts outright and there wont be much of a RBBC. TJ seems to be on his way out so it's looking like the job will be Benson's.

Jaguars - Once again, there will probably be an outright starter here. If Freddy sticks around it will be him, but if he goes down or doesn't come back then it will be a battle between Greg Jones and probably Maurice Drew for the starting role. Could get crowded back there though if Fred doesn't stick around.

Lions - I think they are planning on making KJ their full time starting RB. The only RB with enough talent to take anything from KJ is Calhoun and I don't think he'll take much away.

Vikings - They have made it pretty clear that they want Chester to be there 20-25 carry a game back. I don't see any of the backs they have taking much away from Taylor next year. The only real possibility I think is Fason taking some goal line away.

Patriots - It will probably be either Dillon or Maroney starting all year. If Dillon is healthy, he's the starter, but if he goes down then it will be Maroney, I don't see a RBBC there.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Thu May 18, 2006 5:33 pm

I don't think Kevin Jones truly has much competition for his job. Martz has already stated he wants KJ to touch the ball 30 times a game.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Thu May 18, 2006 5:33 pm

SF - Limited upside due to a terrible looking offense, and add RBBC to that, uggh. Neither of these guys looks particularly talented compared to other RBBC's either.

NYJ - I'd be surprised if Martin survives the season, and you've got a bunch of backup players, lots of competition, could end up with a different featured RB every week. Also, terribly QB, a featured RB in this offense wouldn't be all that good.

JAX - Taylor, Jones, Drew, and Pearman. There's just too many young backups and a veteran starter who wont last the season. Much like NYJ, except more upside in this offense.

CAR - I dont rely on rookies, because few can handle the load, and don't trust Foster to survive a broken finger nail without going on IR. Shelton isn't too promising either. I don't want any of these guys as my 3rd RB.

TEN - Probably switching QBs during the year, lots of new players, losses along the line, a talented but injury prone vet RB, and a talented rookie with attitude problems. Not bad if you can handcuff them, but probably not worth the 2 picks you'd have to use.

GB - 3 RBs competing. All three are boom or bust. Its not worth handcuffing, and with this ravaged o-line, the likelihood of Rodgers starting once their out of playoff contention (I hate to advocate benching Favre, but developing Rodgers would be the smart move) this is a situation that while still having potential, I want to avoid.

CHI - RBBC keeps this from being a potential top 10 fantasy RB spot. With no QB or WR to lean on, but a robust talent of O-linemen, expect lots of more running from this team. Even getting just 50-60% of the carries in this offense a RB could make a solid 3rd RB.

NE - Dillon is getting old, and we could easily have RBBC. Hurts him even more b/c he's defnitely not going to be in there for pass catching. Dillon could still be a #2 RB if he kept the featured role, so upside is a big factor, but too many changes to anticipate a return to his 04 form.

DEN - Its always a risk taking a Denver RB, but even 60% of the carries in this offense could be a top 10 RB, as Mike Anderson proved. Dayne is incredibly good value too for his upside. Definitely a decent choice of RBBCs for your primary backup RB.

IND - Best offense in the league. If this stays a true RBBC maybe one of these guys is a decent 3rd RB, but if not, you could get a 15-20 RB way later than any should be left. Definitely one of the more promising RBBCs.

DAL - JJ has great talent and Parcells loves to feed his RBs, but his words about involving Barber more should scare off a lot of owners until around the late 2nd. Luckily, its not that hard to handcuff JJ to Barber, making this a lot more worthwhile of a risk.

DET and MIN are the best b/c I dont see any RBBC at all there. Calhoun isnt enough to threaten KJ, his injuries on the other hand are. Taylor has lost half of his competition already. Fason may TD-hawk, but that's not really a RBBC, just ask Tiki Barber. Moore is the only serious competition for the job, and with new improved o-line and FB, it looks like a good one. Moore can easily be handcuffed, and Taylor is an early 3rd round steal if you do that.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby petedog9 » Thu May 18, 2006 6:09 pm

I would also put Pittsburgh on the bottom of that list. Willie should get the bulk of the carries but Cowher has mentionned that Duce is healthy and kind of "took one for the team" last year giving way to the Bus. I think Cowher has some allegance to him to an extent. Also, I have read articles regarding an expanded role for Haynes. Just my .02
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby PackerAttack84 » Thu May 18, 2006 6:20 pm

bagobonez wrote:I don't think Kevin Jones truly has much competition for his job. Martz has already stated he wants KJ to touch the ball 30 times a game.

If Jones gets hurt he better watch out for Calhoun, he's quite a player and is a lot more durable then most people think. Last year Jones played poorly and was hurt, yet his job was never truely in jepordy. He might have to watch out this year if he gets hurt.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Thu May 18, 2006 6:34 pm

unless ahman green gets hurt, then there is not RBBC in green bay. If he is healthy, he will start, with davenport maybe stealing a few carries, but nothing more than any other backup in the NFL.

As long as green and davenport are healthy, dont expect to see much of gado

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Infidel » Thu May 18, 2006 11:05 pm

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:unless ahman green gets hurt, then there is not RBBC in green bay. If he is healthy, he will start, with davenport maybe stealing a few carries, but nothing more than any other backup in the NFL.

As long as green and davenport are healthy, dont expect to see much of gado

Eggs-actly. I am not convinced that Gado even makes the roster unless he shows something on special teams. He is simply not that talented.
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Popcynical » Thu May 18, 2006 11:18 pm

Infidel wrote:Eggs-actly. I am not convinced that Gado even makes the roster unless he shows something on special teams. He is simply not that talented.

Where's this coming from? In the five games Ahman Green started in '05 he rushed for 255 yards on 77 attempts (3.3 ypc). He had zero touchdowns receiving or rushing.

In the seven games Gado started in, he rushed for 574 yards on 142 attempts (4.1 ypc). He had one touchdown receiving and six touchdowns rushing.

Gado and Green ran behind the same line and it's obvious that Gado did much better. How is he not talented enough to have a spot on the roster? I guess having two games as a rookie where you have over 100 yards before halftime means you have no talent?
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk