Must Speak Spanish - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Must Speak Spanish

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mysticphysh » Thu May 18, 2006 5:19 pm

If you work in a customer service type job, you can earn at least half again what other's would make if you're bilingual. If I was in a management position where my bosses wanted me to learn spanish but won't raise my salary, I'd let them pay for me to learn, then start shopping myself around. I'm all but certain to find an employer willing to pay more for that one skill alone.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu May 18, 2006 6:16 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I think it is a great opportunity for the employees to learn the Spanish language for free.

However...I have a hard time with the possibility of a manager having been employed by this company for 20 years when they approach him and tell him he needs to learn a foreign language in order to keep his job.

I don't have a problem with that at all. At my job, if I didn't learn new skills and keep up with changes in the industry, I would be out of work in no time...and most jobs are the same way.

Would you have a problem with it if he had been there for 20 years, and now they were getting new equipment that he was expected to learn to use? The landscape of that particular business is changing...the manager needs to be able to keep up with the times.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Thu May 18, 2006 6:22 pm

You want to hear a real funny joke? Guess how many of the 38 employees of the Nebraska Equal Opportunity Commission (a State Agency) speak Spanish?

5?

7?

10?

Nope.

Just one.

And she's past retirement age.

We're a bit slow on adapting to the changes in our society here in Nebraska Government. ;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Horizons » Thu May 18, 2006 7:56 pm

Siendo de California meridional no soy el ir uniforme a conseguir comenzado en este asunto.

Translation:
Being from Southern California I'm not even going to get started on this topic.
Don't give up the ship...........sell it!!
Horizons
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 12)
Location: Somewhere on the "Trail of Tears" between the tube and GameCenter

Postby PackerAttack84 » Thu May 18, 2006 8:20 pm

Horizons wrote:Siendo de California meridional no soy el ir uniforme a conseguir comenzado en este asunto.

Translation:
Being from Southern California I'm not even going to get started on this topic.

I'm guessing you used Babel Fish or some other translator because that is what you get when you put in the english, but when you translate the spanish they give you back to english you get......Being of southern California I am not uniform to go to obtain begun in this subject.

I wouldn't really trust website translators....for example.

Original English:
When we got there the highway was backed up to the first exit and we were trying to get on at the third. It was a very long trip which took the fun out of it.

Spanish:
Cuando conseguimos allí la carretera fuimos sostenidos a la primera salida e intentábamos conseguir encendido en el tercero. Era un viaje muy largo que tomó la diversión de él.

New English translating that spanish back to english:
When we obtained there the highway we were maintained to the first exit and we tried to obtain ignition in third. It was a very long trip that took the diversion from him.

Moral of the story....don't use spanish translators for more then a word or a very short phrase.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Thu May 18, 2006 8:28 pm

moonhead wrote:
Tiki wrote:Psssh....This is America we speak English tell those people to learn English. It's not that hard! My dad learned it in three weeks!

there is no official language in america. and it's that way for a reason. you can't learn english in 3 weeks either.
First off, screw official...We are an English speaking country yes there are other languages spoken here, but English is the most common by far and that's the way it should stay. And why would I lie? If you have to learn English to live, unlike now, you can learn it in three weeks. Sorry Moon.
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Thu May 18, 2006 8:50 pm

Tiki wrote:
moonhead wrote:
Tiki wrote:Psssh....This is America we speak English tell those people to learn English. It's not that hard! My dad learned it in three weeks!

there is no official language in america. and it's that way for a reason. you can't learn english in 3 weeks either.
First off, screw official...We are an English speaking country yes there are other languages spoken here, but English is the most common by far and that's the way it should stay. And why would I lie? If you have to learn English to live, unlike now, you can learn it in three weeks. Sorry Moon.

english is the hardest language to learn. i'm having a hard time believing that in 3 weeks anyone can become proficient in any of the languages of the world.
The statistics of English are astonishing. Of all the world's languages (which now number some 2,700), it is arguably the richest in vocabulary. The compendious Oxford English Dictionary lists about 500,000 words; and a further half-million technical and scientific terms remain uncatalogued. According to traditional estimates, neighboring German has a vocabulary of about 185,000 and French fewer than 100,000

cite
some of us are english speaking, some are not. americans are so reactionary instead of proactive. we have the ability to meet them halfway. we can educate ourselves better. but we're too lazy, too fat, too rich, and too stupid. and when we try to do something proactive, like educate our managers to understand the native language of the majority of their clientele, we are met with antiquated, self-glorifying BS arguments like this; that they need to learn our language. we expect everyone to adapt to our way of life. which is obviously the only rational option. ;-7 instead of trying to further ourselves and grow as people. there is no reason that children shouldn't be taught more than one language in school. absolutely none. it doesn't make any sense.

**steps down from soapbox and goes back to the bottle**
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby PackerAttack84 » Thu May 18, 2006 8:50 pm

Tiki wrote:
moonhead wrote:

I'm not saying your lieing but learning English in 3 weeks is crazy. That really impressive because it's a lot harder to learn English then Spanish and there's NO WAY I could learn Spanish in 3 weeks. But then again it might be different if I was moving to Spain in 3 weeks.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Thu May 18, 2006 10:05 pm

I'm sorry, when you live somewhere else you learn the language, even if visiting, you probably should learn some of it. If I ever move to a Latin-based country, I wouldn't expect to get by speaking English. You can bet I wouldn't go to Japan or China expecting any of them to understand my English.

Now granted, a lot of countries are ahead of us on teaching kids multiple languages, and learning other languages at an early age I think is a great idea. So while maybe because they're so well educated I could get by in foreign cities with English, but I'd have no leg to stand on if I couldnt. I dont think the drive for getting people to learn new languages should come from people not learning the native dialect, it should be a basic educational reform so that we can communicate with people in other countries.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri May 19, 2006 7:44 am

maddog60 wrote:I'm sorry, when you live somewhere else you learn the language, even if visiting, you probably should learn some of it. If I ever move to a Latin-based country, I wouldn't expect to get by speaking English. You can bet I wouldn't go to Japan or China expecting any of them to understand my English.

Now granted, a lot of countries are ahead of us on teaching kids multiple languages, and learning other languages at an early age I think is a great idea. So while maybe because they're so well educated I could get by in foreign cities with English, but I'd have no leg to stand on if I couldnt. I dont think the drive for getting people to learn new languages should come from people not learning the native dialect, it should be a basic educational reform so that we can communicate with people in other countries.

Great points maddog. ;-D

It would be a great business decision if this was a voluntary program and the company was paying for their employees to partake. But I have a problem with the fact that it is a mandatory program. I don't think it matters that English is not America's "official language". It is the language that America speaks. You cannot be successful in this country if you do not know how to speak English.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk