Another Wacky Idea... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Another Wacky Idea...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Another Wacky Idea...

Postby Atog » Thu May 18, 2006 10:17 pm

Sometime, somewhere, I was reading about Fantasy Soccer.
Anyways, since there arn't a lot of statistics in soccer other than goals and assists, judges (I'm not sure whose judges they are) rate players as having 'special games' (for good defense, good passing, etc.) and give them points for that.
Should that be done for fantasy football? I like the idea of giving extra points to a kicker that hits the clutch field goal, or a QB/WR who hook up for a miracle hail mary, or even to a WR that makes a key block in a long rushing TD.

What do you guys think?
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Thu May 18, 2006 10:30 pm

eh... blocking would kind of go into a gray area. that would be too hard to score. but i think a "game winning" field goal for extra points would be a neat idea... let's say... if that FG was hit with 30 seconds or less in the game. There would have to be some kind of parameter of course.

Another idea I've had is bonus points for a goal-line stand. Of course there'd have to be parameters for that as well. Such as, 1st and goal inside the 5, and the defense keeps them out of the EZ.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kensat30 » Thu May 18, 2006 11:24 pm

Special Judge Kensat30:

+10 points for full on jockstrap adjustment during Monday Night post game interview for the win!
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri May 19, 2006 9:23 am

It's an interesting idea, and certain leagues already give modifiers for long pass receptions/runs, also long rec/runs for TD's. You could do the kicker thing too I'm sure, but do you really want to increase the value of a kicker that much more? :-?
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby WickedSmaat » Fri May 19, 2006 11:35 am

Maybe some sort of modifier to have for scores with less than a minute left in the fourth quarter or overtime. Interesting idea, but as far as the judges I would agree that there's some gray area and there would be somewhat of disagreement on the category itself I'm sure.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri May 19, 2006 11:52 am

Mercer Boy wrote:It's an interesting idea, and certain leagues already give modifiers for long pass receptions/runs, also long rec/runs for TD's. You could do the kicker thing too I'm sure, but do you really want to increase the value of a kicker that much more? :-?

Why not? Kickers do alot more for their teams in real life than they do in fantasy, and anything that could change the way you think is a good thing. It may no longer be a foregone conclusion that you draft a kicker dead last...you may go for those extra points a clutch kicker like Vinatieri might get you instead of drafting a 4th RB or WR. Kickers are worth almost nothing as it stands, so if you are going to use them, wouldn't it make sense to make them a more important part of the game, and the draft dynamic itself?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri May 19, 2006 12:49 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:It's an interesting idea, and certain leagues already give modifiers for long pass receptions/runs, also long rec/runs for TD's. You could do the kicker thing too I'm sure, but do you really want to increase the value of a kicker that much more? :-?

Why not? Kickers do alot more for their teams in real life than they do in fantasy, and anything that could change the way you think is a good thing. It may no longer be a foregone conclusion that you draft a kicker dead last...you may go for those extra points a clutch kicker like Vinatieri might get you instead of drafting a 4th RB or WR. Kickers are worth almost nothing as it stands, so if you are going to use them, wouldn't it make sense to make them a more important part of the game, and the draft dynamic itself?

I dont necessarily disagree with you on the spirit of your points, but how would you change the way you draft a kicker based on his clutchness? You can somewhat guage the amount of FG attempts the kicker might get (ala Cards or Colts last year), but how could you even remotely forcast how many clutch FG chances a kicker would get in a season?
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Fri May 19, 2006 12:59 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:

I dont necessarily disagree with you on the spirit of your points, but how would you change the way you draft a kicker based on his clutchness? You can somewhat guage the amount of FG attempts the kicker might get (ala Cards or Colts last year), but how could you even remotely forcast how many clutch FG chances a kicker would get in a season?

You might want to pick Ks from teams that win more than they lose despite not scoring much. Closer games equals more chances for late game heroics.

Conversly are there then to be negative points for blowing games late? If a D lets a team drive down the field to win a game in the last 2 minutes do they then get penalized? What if Favre throws a INT with 56 seconds to go and the Pack driving toward an improbable win? Or if the holder muffs the snap, does Jason Hansen get negative points for not converting on a game tying PAT?

Interesting propostition that could spice up a league. It does reek of gimmickery though.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby onnestabe » Fri May 19, 2006 1:30 pm

moochman wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:

You might want to pick Ks from teams that win more than they lose despite not scoring much. Closer games equals more chances for late game heroics.

Conversly are there then to be negative points for blowing games late? If a D lets a team drive down the field to win a game in the last 2 minutes do they then get penalized? What if Favre throws a INT with 56 seconds to go and the Pack driving toward an improbable win? Or if the holder muffs the snap, does Jason Hansen get negative points for not converting on a game tying PAT?

Interesting propostition that could spice up a league. It does reek of gimmickery though.

I think the most impartial way to implement this is to have a bonus for being named "player of the game".

It would be too hard to make rules for it otherwise (Is it just for big plays inside the two minute warning? Does the QB or the receiver or both get the bonus for the last second TD? What is more important, the game winning field goal or the interception return to the 20yd line to set up the FG?).
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Jimboozie » Fri May 19, 2006 1:36 pm

One of the leagues I play in has a kicker bonus rule.

If a kicker makes a game-winning FG with less than 1 minute to go or in OT, that kicker gets an extra 3 points.

I like the rule. ;-D
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk