LJ Flashin' the Roc! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

LJ Flashin' the Roc!

Moderator: Football Moderators

LJ Flashin' the Roc!

Postby Heimholder » Fri May 19, 2006 2:14 pm

I know the article is relatively old, but still an interesting read for a slow news week (month?) in the NFL. And here I always thought Larry was making his initials with his hands!

http://www.abromsononsportslaw.com/johnson.html

Rapper Jay Z Wrestles With Infringement Action
Is Larry Johnson Next?
Filed Jan. 1, 2006

Wrestler Diamond Dallas Page (left) filed a lawsuit against rap mogul Jay Z and Roc-A-Fella Records on December 2, 2005. The suit claims that Jay Z infringed Page’s trademarked “Diamond Cutter” hand symbol. Jay-Z, whose birth name is Shawn Carter, allegedly hijacked the “Diamond Cutter” hand symbol to promote his Roc-A-Fella Records and clothing dynasty.

Diamond Dallas Page, born Page Falkinburg, filed the lawsuit for Trademark Infringement, False Designation of Origin, Federal Dilution, Unfair Competition, Injury to Business Reputation, Copyright Infringement, and Misappropriation of Trade and Commercial Value, in Los Angeles Federal Court.

It is stated in the Complaint that, “Page, a professional wrestler, created and developed a hand sign which formed the shape of a diamond (the “Diamond Cutter Trademark”) to promote his persona in the entertainment industry.” Further, it is stated that the move, performed by Page, excited the crowds of fans who would then cheer and flash the Diamond Cutter back at Page. Not only did Page’s fans recognize the hand gesture, but the Suit states that other athletes and celebrities “recognized the hand sign as Diamond Dallas Page’s trademark….”

The wrestler, who uses the sign on the cover of his new book "Yoga for Regular Guys," also says he used the symbol on monthly PPV events, WCW live events, and media appearances, including The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

Page goes on to assert that as his success as a wrestler grew, so did sales of his merchandise, including t-shirts, hats, stationary, posters and action figures, which featured the Diamond Cutter Trademark.

According to the lawsuit, Jay Z repeatedly performs a hand gesture that resembles Page’s insignia in his music video “Encore.” The hand sign is also featured in “Diamonds,” Kanye West's music video. Both West and Jay Z (right) record on the Rock-A-Fella label.

The lawsuit alleges that Jay Z and Roc-A-Fella have been using Page's diamond sign "on sound recordings, videos and in photographs." Page wants a judge to enjoin Jay Z and Rock-A-Fella from using the sign.

"Diamond Dallas Page has been experiencing a lot of confusion, and some people have suggested that he actually borrowed it from Jay Z," George Gallegos, Page’s lawyer, said. "We hope to fix that."

"If you look at [Jay Z's] 'Encore' video you can see fans using the 'Diamond Cutter' sign, and in video of Diamond Dallas ... if you only looked at the fans from both those tapes, you'd think it's the same person performing," Gallegos said. "Jay-Z and Roc-A-Fella Records use this symbol to promote themselves, to promote their artists, to promote their music and to promote their fan base. People have come to recognize [Page by this symbol], and the way that it's being used by Jay-Z and Roc-A-Fella is taking value away from it and creating confusion upon the public."

The infringement claim also states that, “[m]any athletes and celebrities also flashed the Diamond Cutter sports celebration move. “In Game 6 of the 1998 NBA finals against the Chicago Bulls, Karl Malone, the Utah Jazz star basketball player, flashed the Diamond Cutter Trademark during the game and referred to the symbol as Plaintiff’s hand sign. Similarly, former professional football player and Dallas Cowboy star running back, Herschel Walker used the Diamond Cutter Trademark after a 64 yard touchdown run and also acknowledged that it was Plaintiff’s signature trademark.”

Could Chief’s Running Back, Larry Johnson, Also Be Named in the Suit?

Malone and Walker are not the only athletes to have performed the move. Larry Johnson, the star running back for the Kansas City Chiefs, also performs the sports celebration move after each touchdown he scores.

The website KansasCity.com states that, “The ‘Diamond Cutter,’ or ‘Flashing the Roc’ as it also is called, has become the symbolic gesture for anyone associated with the clothing line Team Roc, which has an endorsement deal with Johnson.”

However, even assuming Johnson has been granted permission from Roc-A-Fella to use the symbol to promote the clothing label, if it is found that the label is infringing on Page’s rights, Johnson, as the label’s agent, may be as well. Further, if Page decides to sue Johnson (right) too, it could be found that enough people have associated the move with Johnson alone, and therefore he is infringing on Page’s trademark not as an agent of Roc-A-Fella, but as a competing celebrity in the entertainment industry.

Though fans have become quite familiar with Johnson’s bullish running style that has resulted in a career high 1,750 yards and 17 touchdowns in just 9 starts this season, many fans are confused as to why Johnson performs his sports celebration move and do not associate his move with Jay Z or Roc-A-Fella.

Other Implications of this Suit

A ruling on the issue of copyright infringement of Page’s sports celebration move, the Diamond Cutter, could reveal whether sports celebration moves are indeed copyrightable, a question Henry Abromson, a Baltimore, MD attorney, has sought to answer. While it is doubtful that a Court would find that such a simple move like the Diamond Cutter meets the requirements set forth to qualify for copyright protection, if it nevertheless receives that protection, the ruling would finally answer the question, how simple can a choreography be to receive copyright protection.

Regardless of the outcome of the copyright claim in this case, the claim serves as more evidence that the idea of sports celebration moves holding great value in the marketplace as branding tools for athletes is becoming commonly accepted in the entertainment industry.
Heimholder
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Slingblade » Fri May 19, 2006 2:21 pm

Dallas Page is a tool.
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mysticphysh » Fri May 19, 2006 2:48 pm

and some people have suggested that he actually borrowed it from Jay Z

lol Page has been doing that probably before Jay XYZ was born. :-b

I actually thought about this when I saw LJ do it. I was like, "Yeah, that's original." ;-7

I dont blame Page actually. Get yourself some money!

Next, whoever first started crossing their arms like a X needs to sue. Too many idiots doing that now. It's like the whole "raise the roof" thing a few years back. STOP! :-o
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby onnestabe » Fri May 19, 2006 3:08 pm

I think I am going to start suing people for the arms-crossing thing. I started doing that whenever I got a strike while bowling, and then Dante Hall saw me do it, and it turned into this whole 'thing'...anyways, I just want the world to know that I was the first. ;-7
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby CC » Fri May 19, 2006 3:11 pm

mysticphysh wrote:

I actually thought about this when I saw LJ do it. I was like, "Yeah, that's original." ;-7

Next, whoever first started crossing their arms like a X needs to sue. Too many idiots doing that now. It's like the whole "raise the roof" thing a few years back. STOP! :-o

This is a stupid lawsuit. What's next? Someone trying to sue because they invented the thumbs up?

Dynasty Jigga man.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mysticphysh » Fri May 19, 2006 3:14 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
mysticphysh wrote:

This is a stupid lawsuit. What's next? Someone trying to sue because they invented the thumbs up?

Dynasty Jigga man.

It runs along the same line of the 12th man thing. :-?
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby D3C4K » Fri May 19, 2006 3:38 pm

mysticphysh wrote:

DDP did that long before Jay-Z, but then again, DDP's DDP and Jay-Z's Jay-Z. I remember someone here asking why LJ did that earlier and I mentioned the Roc-A-Fella sign. LeBron James used to flash that sign all the time as well.
QB - C. Newton
WR - L. Fitzgerald
WR - S. Smith (Car)
RB - M. Turner
RB - C. Johnson
TE - A. Gates
W/R/T - B. Wells
K - S. Janikowski
DEF - NYJ

BN - M. Ryan
BN - J. Battle
BN - P. Thomas
BN - J. Ringer
BN - V. Cruz
BN - B. Pettigrew
BN - SF D
D3C4K
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jayday » Fri May 19, 2006 3:42 pm

This lawsuit boils down to 2 key things....

1. Page is broke and needs money....
2. Jay-Z has money....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby bolkonsky » Fri May 19, 2006 3:53 pm

I didn't know LJ played Heroes of Might and Magic II (in response to the title of this thread).

I am a dork, I know.
bolkonsky
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby D3C4K » Fri May 19, 2006 4:21 pm

bolkonsky wrote:I didn't know LJ played Heroes of Might and Magic II (in response to the title of this thread).

I am a dork, I know.

That was incredibly weak. Seriously. The only thing sadder than that post was me immediately knowing what you were referring to. Now I have to make sure not to post anything on the Tennessee Titans...
QB - C. Newton
WR - L. Fitzgerald
WR - S. Smith (Car)
RB - M. Turner
RB - C. Johnson
TE - A. Gates
W/R/T - B. Wells
K - S. Janikowski
DEF - NYJ

BN - M. Ryan
BN - J. Battle
BN - P. Thomas