option in NFL? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

option in NFL?

Moderator: Football Moderators

option in NFL?

Postby cha » Fri May 19, 2006 6:58 pm

not sure if already talked about.....but come on.....wtf are the titans thinking.

Vince Young - QB - TEN - May. 18 - 9:44 pm et
The Titans are considering installing a "Vince Young Package" that would include option plays.
There was a time in NFL history where using two quarterbacks depending on the situation was very common. In this scenario, the Titans may bring Young in a few times a game, possibly in the red zone, which would create headaches for defenses and fantasy owners alike. May. 18 - 9:44 pm et
Source: NFL.com
cha
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Fri May 19, 2006 7:09 pm

Ahaha, the option will never work in the NFL.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Fri May 19, 2006 7:18 pm

while I don't necessarily agree with it, I think if the NFL has a major knock, its the lack of innovation.

It irritates me to no end that the falcons are trying to run a WCO with Vick. If you have a singualr talent quite unlike anyone else who ever played (I'd argue that the Eagles screwed up the same way with Randall, who is still the best Rushing QB to play), you figure out something new, something that the league doesn't have a "book" on how to defend.

What if a team like the falcons got a culpepper? What could you do? What if they added a "slash" wr? I know this is just rambilings, but my point is that football seems addicted to conventional wisdom.

But if you had a big and little version of the rushing qb, how the hell would an opposing team defend plays with both in the backfield and a direct snap?

ITs ridiculous and over the top, I know. But my point is that its amazing to me that teams with these types are so risk averse.

What if you went "air coryell" with vick? Get a speedy bomb target, a three-quarters wr, and you have the tight end. If in trouble, run or dumb off to crumpler, if the bomb is there take the chance, if not, run.

The real problem and barrier is $, that these talents cost so much, you can't afford to get them hurt.

But I applaud the titans for at least going against what is commonly accepted, If it works, they have a significan advantage until the league catches up. what's the d going to do, if they go into a protection scheme that essentially has only one wr, a te, and henry, lendale white and young in the backfield? who is getting it, where is it going, and is this really a pass play anyway?

The could serisouly be sweet with this model if they get a back who can catch too. With young's threat to pass and run, the backs threat to catch or run, it is very hard to defend. (Incidentally, something the eagles should do more with donovan and westbrook, but donnie doesn't run anymore)
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jayday » Fri May 19, 2006 7:39 pm

Well said eaglesrule....I'm not sure if the option will work either with the speed of the NFL being so much greater than college, but I give the Titans credit for not "boxing up" a unique talent like Vince....It's worth a shot, if it doesn't work, at least they tried somehing unique....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri May 19, 2006 7:56 pm

There's something a friend from college told me that I'll never forget:

"What do you do when you see the option?"

"Destroy the quarterback." :-B

I think you'd have to have some superior pull blocks to run the option at the NFL level. That's most likely why no team tries it. At best you could probably hope for a 2-3 yard gain; you wouldn't get the 15-20 yard chunks like you do in college. :-/
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Jimboozie » Fri May 19, 2006 8:06 pm

Running the option would be a great way to shorten VY's career.

I think it would be cool to see though. :-)
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby cha » Fri May 19, 2006 8:25 pm

okay.....i will agree that it is at least trying something different and trying to gain an edge. But there have been better qb's to try it with. VY is quick but he is not that fast. Vick would be a better option (no pun intended) to try this then VY.

The bigger problem is that coaches spend all year trying to figure out ways to keep their qb's safe and using the option goes against this basic concept. It would be interesting to watch but probably doesn't make it out of the preseason.
cha
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby eaglesrule » Fri May 19, 2006 9:38 pm

in my opinion, you either try it with vick, or you do it with culpepper, who can take it.

My point is less to do with the option per se, but with the idea of doing something different with a unique talent. Serisously, if you aren't, what's the point of getting him in the first place?

It would be fun if some NFL team instituted the "Fast break" and took a vick, a westbrook, a cooley, and a slash stewart. How the hell would you defend both trick plays and the threat of trick plays?

You could do so much.

It makes me wonder what bellicheck would do if he was an offensive guy.

The same guy took a safety on purpose and declined to allocate defenders at the line.

I think that type of thinking has a lot of merit in football and life in general. If you are going to just pigeon hole a young, why not just take someone else who can pass from the pocket?

This isn't wholly related, but I always wonder what a team of scottie pippens would have been able to do. Just play five tall, but not huge athletic guys who can do everything pretty well. would be cool rather than be limited to the concept of center, power forward, etc.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mysticphysh » Fri May 19, 2006 10:03 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:There's something a friend from college told me that I'll never forget:

"What do you do when you see the option?"

"Destroy the quarterback."
:-B

I think you'd have to have some superior pull blocks to run the option at the NFL level. That's most likely why no team tries it. At best you could probably hope for a 2-3 yard gain; you wouldn't get the 15-20 yard chunks like you do in college. :-/

That actually made me laugh out loud.

I would like to see the opition play as a "gimmick" play to be run once or twice a game on something like a 3rd down short yardage play.

Otherwise, like stated before, Young will end up broken down like McNair was year before last about 7 years sooner.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Alkaholik » Fri May 19, 2006 11:04 pm

I remember in high school we played a few teams that ran the option every other play because it worked so well, and the caoch always told us.."first thing you do is hit the QB" if you were the first guy there, rather than have you hit the player the QB dishes it off to, he had us drill the QB into the ground every single time, sure by running right past the player with the ball the gained 10 yards each time, but everytime after that that qb ran slower and threw it off quicker, well worth hurtin the qb and givin them 10 yards at time, now in the NFL i can imagine some1 putting the QB out of his misery the first time they run it
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Next

Return to Football Talk