option in NFL? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

option in NFL?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby confused_jake » Sat May 20, 2006 12:35 am

Does anyone know where theres a video of the play where zach thomas pretty much single handedly(sp?) proved why the option doesnt work in the nfl? i know they were playing the panthers and it was a RB option.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Sat May 20, 2006 2:00 am

confused_jake wrote:Does anyone know where theres a video of the play where zach thomas pretty much single handedly(sp?) proved why the option doesnt work in the nfl? i know they were playing the panthers and it was a RB option.

Dont think Zach Thomas to prove that. Just play DE in highschool football. Against non-option HS offensives the DE has to take on traps, contain the outside, pressure the QB if he passes, etc. When playing option, the DE has one job, hit the QB if he comes your way. Pitch or no pitch, just hit him. That in and of itsself is enough proof the option is a bad idea.

Yes, it can be effective on some levels, but its a terrible strategy in theory let alone practice. I admire creativity, but the option in the NFL is not creative, its dumb. Creative would be the Falcons having Schaub, Vick, and Dunn in the backfield, shotgun formation, and run plays from two different direct snaps out of that kind of package.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DrunkAmigo » Sat May 20, 2006 2:03 am

Good posdt madd dog...
I agree!
NOT IN MY NFL!
DrunkAmigo
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Sixxgunn » Sat May 20, 2006 8:29 am

Alkaholik wrote:I remember in high school we played a few teams that ran the option every other play because it worked so well, and the caoch always told us.."first thing you do is hit the QB" if you were the first guy there, rather than have you hit the player the QB dishes it off to, he had us drill the QB into the ground every single time, sure by running right past the player with the ball the gained 10 yards each time, but everytime after that that qb ran slower and threw it off quicker, well worth hurtin the qb and givin them 10 yards at time, now in the NFL i can imagine some1 putting the QB out of his misery the first time they run it

Wouldn't that equate to roughing the passer in the NFL? I gotta think that you stand to lose alot by doing that. I mean, you can't send these QBs an e-mail nowadays without getting a flag.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby SniperShot » Sat May 20, 2006 9:25 am

Sometimes a 15 yard roughing the passer penalty is worth it if the QB plays jittery the rest of the game.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby petedog9 » Sat May 20, 2006 10:05 am

mysticphysh wrote:I would like to see the opition play as a "gimmick" play to be run once or twice a game on something like a 3rd down short yardage play.

Exactly mystic...

It has been ran in the past but not as a staple. Pittsburgh in the early "Slash" days ran it with Kordell. It was effective at times as well. But the risk involved in your big $$ QB is too high to run it that often. Gimmick play is the way to go.
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dirty weasel » Sat May 20, 2006 11:25 am

Why is the option run in college and not in the NFL? Simple...because college coaches don't care about the long-term. Very few QB's stay an entire 4 years in college, so coaches are more willing to get their QB decapitated. Once the option play begins, the QB loses his "QB" status, and all defensive guys start slobbering. You ever see a punter in the open field? There's always some maniac LB chasing after him just to get a hit and be on Sportscenter, even if the punter is running the wrong way. Sure, I would enjoy seeing the option in the NFL, because I am a freak who loves watching things like "world's worst car crashes", and "faces of death".
dirty weasel
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mysticphysh » Sat May 20, 2006 11:37 am

I know last year the Uni of Georgia played a team where almost every single running play was the opition. Its like they didn't use the regular hand off, every running play you just had to guess if they were going to roll out left or right.

I dont remember which team it was, but it gave their D fits! I think I spent the whole game yelling "HIT HIM!" at the tv. If you have athletic linemen and a QB who can run, its a very effective play.

As far as roughing the passer, I think when the QB pulls the ball down and runs with it, he becomes a regular runner, so he can be creamed at any time unless he slides (with the ball). To me, creaming the QB after he pitches the ball is the same as creaming the RB after a play fake. :-b
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Alkaholik » Sat May 20, 2006 11:40 am

mysticphysh wrote:I know last year the Uni of Georgia played a team where almost every single running play was the opition. Its like they didn't use the regular hand off, every running play you just had to guess if they were going to roll out left or right.

I dont remember which team it was, but it gave their D fits! I think I spent the whole game yelling "HIT HIM!" at the tv. If you have athletic linemen and a QB who can run, its a very effective play.

As far as roughing the passer, I think when the QB pulls the ball down and runs with it, he becomes a regular runner, so he can be creamed at any time unless he slides (with the ball). To me, creaming the QB after he pitches the ball is the same as creaming the RB after a play fake. :-b

yep, once he takes that ball and starts running he is all fair game, even after he pitches it u can drill him because he was faking.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby maddog60 » Sat May 20, 2006 11:57 am

Alkaholik wrote:yep, once he takes that ball and starts running he is all fair game, even after he pitches it u can drill him because he was faking.

That's how it worked in highschool. The NFL might have tighter restrictions, but I dont know. The very fact that the theory of the option is to have a DE hitting the QB every run while he pitches it must make it every DC's favorite offense.

I can only imagine how big the grin on Dwight Freeney's face would get if he learns the Titans are actually going to run the option. Carr might not be the most banged up QB in that division for long.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk