BOTB: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs. Journey--Lynyrd Skynyrd Wins! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

BOTB: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs. Journey--Lynyrd Skynyrd Wins!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Opening Round Match Up

Lynyrd Skynyrd
64%
Journey
36%

Total votes : 42

BOTB: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs. Journey--Lynyrd Skynyrd Wins!

Postby VaderFin » Mon May 22, 2006 7:34 pm

Opening Round Match Up featuring #17 seed Lynyrd Skynyrd vs. #48 seed Journey. A battle of southern rock vs. pop rock. Voting ends Tues. at 8pm EST.

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Lynyrd Skynyrd was the definitive Southern rock band, making a name for themselves by fusing the overdriven power of blues-rock with a rebellious, Southern image and a hard rock swagger. Their distinctive triple-lead guitar sound made their songs "Freebird", and "Sweet Home Alabama" American anthems and staples of FM radio. A chartered airplane carrying the band crashed near a forest in McComb, Mississippi. The plane literally ran out of gas. The crash killed singer/songwriter Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist/vocalist Steve Gaines, vocalist Cassie Gaines, and other band members were injured, some very seriously. Lynyrd Skynyrd was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 13, 2006.

Journey

Journey is an Arena rock band formed in 1973. The band's greatest commercial success came in the early 1980s with a series of power ballads and soaring classics such as "Don't Stop Believin'", "Any Way You Want It," "Open Arms", "Separate Ways", "Wheel in the Sky" and "Faithfully". Journey have released over 15 studio albums with moderate success, but while the band may not be as commercially successful as others, every one of us knows their work. Many credit the group's success to Steve Perry's powerful vocals and Neal Schon's complex guitar work.
Last edited by VaderFin on Tue May 23, 2006 10:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby logan » Mon May 22, 2006 7:36 pm

skynyrd by alot
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby knapplc » Mon May 22, 2006 7:38 pm

"Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd"

;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Mon May 22, 2006 7:46 pm

Journey is fine to listen to when you are in the car with your mom and you don't want her to be annoyed by the music you really like. :-b
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Captain » Mon May 22, 2006 7:54 pm

I'll fess up - I voted for Journey.

I like Lynard Skynard a lot but other than "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Freebird" not much else made the radio waves. Journey, an arena rock band - yes, but they were cranking out the radio hits.

And who didn't sing "Open Arms" to their Junior High or High School girfriend back in the day? HUH?

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Mon May 22, 2006 8:03 pm

The_Captain wrote:I'll fess up - I voted for Journey.

I like Lynard Skynard a lot but other than "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Freebird" not much else made the radio waves. Journey, an arena rock band - yes, but they were cranking out the radio hits.

And who didn't sing "Open Arms" to their Junior High or High School girfriend back in the day? HUH?

Simple man is one of the best songs ever IMO. Skynryd by a mile, unless a bunch of chicks start voting. ;-) :-b

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Captain » Mon May 22, 2006 8:11 pm

mutantseabass wrote:

Simple man is one of the best songs ever IMO. Skynryd by a mile, unless a bunch of chicks start voting. ;-) :-b

I know you just didn't call me a chick....... ;-)

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Mon May 22, 2006 8:12 pm

The_Captain wrote:
mutantseabass wrote:

I know you just didn't call me a chick....... ;-)

Would i do that??? :-D

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Mon May 22, 2006 8:15 pm

i took skynard ...but i do like journey, i would have liked to have seen them matched up against somebody else, so they could have advanced

I agree with simple man....great song
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TTTBone » Mon May 22, 2006 8:28 pm

Tuesday's Gone, Mr. Saturday Night Special, Gimme Back My Bullets (to mention a few of the many more lesser classics by Skynard)?
Probably one of the more influental bands in this competition (minus the Beatles and The Beach Boys).
But, Journey...
Puh-lease...
A gimme here. :-?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Next

Return to General Talk