She makes me sick - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

She makes me sick

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed May 24, 2006 5:50 pm

I don't necessarily see this as that big of a deal. I've fallen with my kid before, you just take the fall and make sure the kid doesn't hit anything except you. Yeah, I can see how this raises some eyebrows because of her limited recent history with her kid. If this was an isolated incident, no big deal, but MSB's right. She's shown a few instances where she can be pretty irresponsible.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mutantseabass » Wed May 24, 2006 7:22 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I don't necessarily see this as that big of a deal. I've fallen with my kid before, you just take the fall and make sure the kid doesn't hit anything except you. Yeah, I can see how this raises some eyebrows because of her limited recent history with her kid. If this was an isolated incident, no big deal, but MSB's right. She's shown a few instances where she can be pretty irresponsible.

Exactly!!! IF this was an isolated incident i wouldnt even care about it.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mysticphysh » Wed May 24, 2006 10:41 pm

If I did drink, I wouldn't be drinking alcohol while carrying my child through a crowd of people pushing each other tryign to get pictures. If I were drinking and carrying my child through a crowd of people pushing each other trying to take pictures, I probably would have hit the baby in the head with the glass because I was trying to catch her with that hand and not worry about spilling. :-b
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Wed May 24, 2006 10:52 pm

mysticphysh wrote:If I did drink, I wouldn't be drinking alcohol while carrying my child through a crowd of people pushing each other tryign to get pictures. If I were drinking and carrying my child through a crowd of people pushing each other trying to take pictures, I probably would have hit the baby in the head with the glass because I was trying to catch her with that hand and not worry about spilling. :-b

She was drinking alcohol? How do you know that? :-?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 25, 2006 7:24 am

knapplc wrote:
mysticphysh wrote:If I did drink, I wouldn't be drinking alcohol while carrying my child through a crowd of people pushing each other tryign to get pictures. If I were drinking and carrying my child through a crowd of people pushing each other trying to take pictures, I probably would have hit the baby in the head with the glass because I was trying to catch her with that hand and not worry about spilling. :-b

She was drinking alcohol? How do you know that? :-?

Yeah, I don't recall hearing mention of what was in the glass. But the sound wasn't very good...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Thu May 25, 2006 9:26 am

CNN wrote:Mothers to media: Lay off Britney

NEW YORK (AP) -- Britney Spears. She's so easy to make fun of. Even her song titles conspire to mock her: "Oops, She Did It Again!" But the latest headlines about America's most maligned mother are evoking a new sentiment from fellow moms.

Almost tripped and dropped a baby? PLEASE, they're saying. What mom hasn't? Give the girl a break!

When little Sean Preston entered the world last September, the blessed event only intensified Spears' fame, as celebrity births do nowadays. But unlike, say, Angelina Jolie or Gwyneth Paltrow, Spears had a way of appearing maternally challenged. First it was the sight of baby on Mom's lap in the driver's seat. (OK, that was bad.) Then, the accidental tumble as he was lifted off a high chair. Next, the car seat facing the wrong way in the convertible.

Not good, the celebrity mommy patrol said. We'd never do that.

Until ... the almost-baby-dropping incident.

Suddenly -- and there's nothing scientific about any of this, mind you -- but suddenly, it seems fellow moms are doing something a bit surprising: defending Britney.

"The woman just can't get a break!" says Lenna Janick, a mother of two in Ijamsville, Maryland. "I mean, I'm not gonna say that I love her. I don't know if she's a good mother or not. But she's human."

And as all moms know, "baby bobbles" happen all the time. Luckily, says Janick, news outlets weren't watching when she walked into a door years ago holding baby son Timmy, whose head hit the door jamb. Her other son, Alex, once fell off the bed as a baby. (Both are fine.)

The media also mysteriously missed the moment when Stacey Thaler, an actuary in New York, was sitting on the edge of the tub holding her 2-year-old son and fell in, with the toddler.

"If someone was watching me 24/7, I'm sure they would find any number of things I've done that would be questionable," Thaler says. "Almost dropped my kids? Definitely. Raising kids is hard -- no one can really stand in judgment unless they're much closer to the situation."

Thousands of mothers apparently agree. This weekend, the Web site parenting.com asked readers whether the media "has gone too far in its portrayal of Britney Spears as a bad mom." In a figure that surprised the editors, almost 10,000 people answered. The results: 75 percent said yes, 25 percent no.

"I think this last incident is the tipping point," says Janet Chan, editor in chief of Parenting magazine. "I'm not sure this means Britney Spears will be in every mom's Hall of Fame. But this one caused them to say, 'Hey, now we're picking on her.' "

The celebrity magazine US Weekly sensed a similar reaction. The photo of Spears nearly tripping (for the record, her very long jeans appeared to get caught in her espadrilles) elicited an unusually strong response on the magazine's blog, says editor Janice Min. Out of 700 responses, 60 percent were pro-Britney, she says.

"Anyone who has babies knows there are always near-misses," Min says. The problem with Spears, Min says, is that she got herself into multiple situations that didn't look good.

"Any one incident alone would not merit that much attention," she says. "But in the aggregate, they paint a picture that meets expectations the public already has." In other words, that Britney's a bad mom.

None of the mothers interviewed for this piece deny that Spears has shown questionable judgment, at best. But many noted that motherhood has long been subject to changing standards. Was it so long ago, for example, that kids roamed free in the car, unbelted? How long have kiddie bike helmets been around?

Some also noted that there's a silver lining to the various compromising photos of Spears: at least they show she's WITH the baby.

"Look, there are probably a number of celebrities who would have someone else caring for their baby while they went gallivanting around doing whatever," Thaler says. "So maybe we should give her credit for wanting to be with him so much."

So Britney, things may be looking up, just in time for your next baby. Your latest misstep -- the one that almost had you and Sean sprawled on the ground -- may have been a blessing in disguise.

"It may just be that it took tripping on the curb," Chan says, "for Britney to become part of the Mommy Club."

This story really has good points on both sides of this discussion. I thought it was a decent read.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 25, 2006 9:37 am

CNN wrote:Some also noted that there's a silver lining to the various compromising photos of Spears: at least they show she's WITH the baby.

Very good point here. Could have some nanny raising it.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu May 25, 2006 9:47 am

knapplc wrote:This story really has good points on both sides of this discussion. I thought it was a decent read.

Well, it was pretty biased toward your opinion Knapp. Probably why you thought it was a good read. Just goes to show that people are willing to take sides on just about anything. People are for or against her parenting ability. They are both entitled to their opinions, and hers are just magnified since she is entrenched in the public eye.

Like I said before no one knows for sure. For all we know she's toting that baby around the way Paris Hilton and some broads were showing off their dogs for awhile.

Then again, she might be a great parent, loves to be with kids, and just has some isolated coincidental unfortunate incidents.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Dude » Thu May 25, 2006 11:42 am

moonhead wrote:careful man! there's a beverage here!

This is only worthwhile thing posted in this thread.

Honestly, I know many worse parents than Britney.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 25, 2006 11:54 am

The_Dude wrote:
moonhead wrote:careful man! there's a beverage here!

This is only worthwhile thing posted in this thread.

Honestly, I know many worse parents than Britney.

Why would you knowingly hang out with people who have shown that they are bad parents? A bad parent is a bad person.

I'm not necessarily saying Britney Spears is a bad parent. I haven't personally seen enough evidence to make a statement one way or the other.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Previous

Return to General Talk