Return to Football Talk

Bears depth chart is set

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bears depth chart is set

Postby Keyser_WV » Tue May 23, 2006 4:04 pm

This is from fanball.

05/23 12:18 Bears: Lovie sets backfield depth chart
THE NEWS
Bears head coach Lovie Smith addressed his crowded backfield this week and continued to give public support to incumbent Thomas Jones. "I still think there's a one and there's a two, and you have to establish that, which we've done," Smith told Yahoo! Sports. "Our No. 1 is Thomas Jones. Our No. 2 is Cedric Benson. Our No. 3 is Adrian Peterson…The No. 1 will get the majority of reps. But it's a long year. You have to play the two some. We're planning on [Benson getting more carries]."

Our View
The prevailing notion among fantasy rankings this spring is that Benson is the higher-paid, more-talented runner in the Bears backfield and will be a more valuable commodity this season. However, Jones has been the team's offensive MVP for two years running—accounting for 41 percent of their total touchdowns—and Lovie has never wavered in support of his starter. It may surprise most to hear that Jones is slated for the majority of the reps, but that remains the plan for now.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue May 23, 2006 4:33 pm

I'm not surprised a bit. Jones has done a good job, and new head coaches don't dock the boat if the boat still sails. The only problem I still have is with Jones so-called agent. He could still screw things up by advising him to hold out or something stupid like that and Benson would almost have to be named the starter by default. So things might seem cut and dry right now, but don't rest easy and draft Jones too high until you hear from the man himself that Rosen-ass won't be a distraction.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue May 23, 2006 4:48 pm

doesnt surprise me all that much. jones isnt a slouch. he has been a consistent 1000 yard rusher lately.
Last edited by steelerfan513 on Tue May 23, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue May 23, 2006 4:53 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:doesnt surprise me all that much. jones isnt a slouch. he is a very consistent 1000 yard rusher.

Well, let's not go overboard here. I'm a supporter of TJ, but he's not really done it long enough to be considered "very consistent". He had 1300 or so last year, and just under a thousand the year before. Not too good before that. He was coming on at the end in Tampa and had around 650 I think, and before that it only gets worse.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue May 23, 2006 4:55 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:doesnt surprise me all that much. jones isnt a slouch. he is a very consistent 1000 yard rusher.

Well, let's not go overboard here. I'm a supporter of TJ, but he's not really done it long enough to be considered "very consistent". He had 1300 or so last year, and just under a thousand the year before. Not too good before that. He was coming on at the end in Tampa and had around 650 I think, and before that it only gets worse.

i really need to check stats before posting this type of stuff. i changed the wording a little bit.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby moonhead » Tue May 23, 2006 5:18 pm

he'll get hurt by week 4 and benson will be the man.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby CC » Tue May 23, 2006 5:28 pm

Jones is good and deserves the starting job, but you just don't plant a 4th overall, highly paid workhorse on the bench and let him rot. I think Benson will get at least 35% of the carries and if Jones gets hurt I think Benson could supplant him permanently.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jayday » Tue May 23, 2006 5:39 pm

Benson is getting paid mucho dinero to be riding the pine....I think it'll be more of a RBBC than Lovie is letting on....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed May 24, 2006 8:34 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Jones is good and deserves the starting job, but you just don't plant a 4th overall, highly paid workhorse on the bench and let him rot. I think Benson will get at least 35% of the carries and if Jones gets hurt I think Benson could supplant him permanently.

Philip Rivers. Different position, same principal. If Jones is still running well and healthy, I don't see much changing this year. I'm pretty sure this is the last year of TJ's contract, and they will get what they can out of him, while keeping Benson healthy and ready to roll. Remember, Benson carried an insane amount of times in college, and I'm sure that's in the back of everyone's mind. Too many carries (combining college and the pros) will lead to an early retirement party.
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mutantseabass » Wed May 24, 2006 8:49 am

Just goes by the old addage, if it isnt broke dont fix it. Jones did a good job last season and deserves the #1 job.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk