Bears depth chart is set - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bears depth chart is set

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby knapplc » Wed May 24, 2006 8:53 am

Sixxgunn wrote:Philip Rivers. Different position, same principal. If Jones is still running well and healthy, I don't see much changing this year. I'm pretty sure this is the last year of TJ's contract, and they will get what they can out of him, while keeping Benson healthy and ready to roll. Remember, Benson carried an insane amount of times in college, and I'm sure that's in the back of everyone's mind. Too many carries (combining college and the pros) will lead to an early retirement party.

Good analogy, but remember that Brees only lasted two seasons after Rivers was drafted. We're on year two now for Benson, and it won't surprise me one bit to see Thomas go after this season. There's still time for a trade this season (perhaps for a DB?).
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Wed May 24, 2006 9:03 am

This is TJs last year on his contract right?

They HAVE to give Benson a look, to know if he is the real deal or if they need to resign TJ.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed May 24, 2006 12:39 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Jones is good and deserves the starting job, but you just don't plant a 4th overall, highly paid workhorse on the bench and let him rot. I think Benson will get at least 35% of the carries and if Jones gets hurt I think Benson could supplant him permanently.

Philip Rivers. Different position, same principal. If Jones is still running well and healthy, I don't see much changing this year. I'm pretty sure this is the last year of TJ's contract, and they will get what they can out of him, while keeping Benson healthy and ready to roll. Remember, Benson carried an insane amount of times in college, and I'm sure that's in the back of everyone's mind. Too many carries (combining college and the pros) will lead to an early retirement party.

True...but it's a lot easier to throw in a rookie/young RB and not miss a step than it is to throw in a young QB

i'll admit i'm biased though since i own Benson in a keeper league, so i'm really pulling for him to get a majority of the carries, unfortunately, i dont see that happening right now
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Goatwhacker » Wed May 24, 2006 1:13 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:I'm not surprised a bit. Jones has done a good job, and new head coaches don't dock the boat if the boat still sails. The only problem I still have is with Jones so-called agent. He could still screw things up by advising him to hold out or something stupid like that and Benson would almost have to be named the starter by default. So things might seem cut and dry right now, but don't rest easy and draft Jones too high until you hear from the man himself that Rosen-ass won't be a distraction.

This is exactly right. Hopefully nobody's having to draft this early and gamble on TJ, who knows what Rosenhaus will do as training camp approaches?

I happened to watch a replay of the 2005 Bears/Lions game (8th game I think). Benson only had a few carries but seemed to have a spark that TJ does not. From what I hear Benson has been working out hard with the Bears all off-season while who knows what TJ is doing. I think he could beat out TJ no matter what Lovie says now. Remember this is the same Lovie who said he was very comfortable going into the season with Chad Hutchinson as starter.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JStein » Wed May 24, 2006 2:13 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:I'm not surprised a bit. Jones has done a good job, and new head coaches don't dock the boat if the boat still sails. The only problem I still have is with Jones so-called agent. He could still screw things up by advising him to hold out or something stupid like that and Benson would almost have to be named the starter by default. So things might seem cut and dry right now, but don't rest easy and draft Jones too high until you hear from the man himself that Rosen-ass won't be a distraction.

This is exactly right. Hopefully nobody's having to draft this early and gamble on TJ, who knows what Rosenhaus will do as training camp approaches?

Next question! (sorry, I just had to say that)
JStein
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed May 24, 2006 4:29 pm

knapplc wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:Philip Rivers. Different position, same principal. If Jones is still running well and healthy, I don't see much changing this year. I'm pretty sure this is the last year of TJ's contract, and they will get what they can out of him, while keeping Benson healthy and ready to roll. Remember, Benson carried an insane amount of times in college, and I'm sure that's in the back of everyone's mind. Too many carries (combining college and the pros) will lead to an early retirement party.

Good analogy, but remember that Brees only lasted two seasons after Rivers was drafted. We're on year two now for Benson, and it won't surprise me one bit to see Thomas go after this season. There's still time for a trade this season (perhaps for a DB?).

One of these two needs to be traded, and the smart money is on trading Jones. He's the one with contract troubles, he's the one with an inconsistant career, he's not the one who ran 4-straight 1,000 yard seasons in Texas. I like Jones (and his brother more ;-) ), but why doesn't Chicago trade him while his value's high?

But of course, a far better question would be who would trade for him. In a draft where Deangelo Williams slips to the mid-20's, and SA/Edge were being shopped for a 2nd round pick (with no takers), I think it's pretty obvious that one position that is flooded with talent right now is RB.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby giants! » Wed May 24, 2006 9:42 pm

Statement doesnt really change anything, Jones is the better back right now but Benson is getting paid too much to be a benchwarmer. This is really the smartest way for them to go
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106][b]Visit the new and improved GREAT DEBATES forum.[/b][/url]
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Jones

Postby purestrength » Wed May 24, 2006 11:31 pm

I picked Jones in the fourth round (4.08) of a WCOFF Satellite League redraft Sunday night.

Now I'm starting to regret it.

Maybe the Bears can just trade him to Denver before training camp.
purestrength
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk