BOTB: R.E.M. vs. The Beastie Boys--The Beastie Boys Win! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

BOTB: R.E.M. vs. The Beastie Boys--The Beastie Boys Win!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Opening Round Match Up

R.E.M.
35%
The Beastie Boys
65%

Total votes : 40

BOTB: R.E.M. vs. The Beastie Boys--The Beastie Boys Win!

Postby VaderFin » Tue May 23, 2006 7:21 pm

Opening Round Match Up featuring #25 seed R.E.M. vs. #40 seed The Beastie Boys. Two bands with totally different styles going at it. Voting will end Wed. at 8pm EST.

R.E.M.

R.E.M. was a rock band formed in Athens, Georgia in early 1980 by drummer Bill Berry, guitarist Peter Buck, bassist Mike Mills, and vocalist Michael Stipe. The band's politics, aesthetics, and hardworking ethos - largely inspired by punk rock and art rock of the 1970s - allowed the band to establish itself as a key element of the burgeoning alternative rock scene of the late-80s. With major label success at the turn of the 90s, the band found themselves able to put forth political and environmental concerns from within a popular music scene that often chose not to take a stand. Hit songs include "Stand", "Everybody Hurts", "Man on the Moon" and "What's The Frequency, Kenneth".

The Beastie Boys

The Beastie Boys are an American rapcore group from New York City: Brooklyn and Manhattan. The main members are Mike D (real name Michael Diamond), MCA (Adam Yauch), and Ad-rock (Adam Horovitz)—all are of Jewish ancestry. Beastie Boys were the first successful white rap group and one of the few acts from the early days of hip hop that still enjoy major success. Their rock- and punk-influenced rap has had a significant impact on artists both in and outside the hip hop scene. The band recorded Licensed to Ill in 1986 and released the album at the end of the year. It was a smash success, becoming the best selling rap album of the 1980s and the first rap album to go #1 on the Billboard album chart, where it stayed for five weeks. It also reached #2 on the Urban album charts. It was Columbia Records' fastest selling debut record to date and sold over five million copies. The first single from the album, "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party)," reached #7 on the Billboard Hot 100. The Beastie Boys won two Grammy Awards in 1999. Other hits include, "No Sleep Till Brooklyn," "She's On It," "So What'cha Want," "Sabotage," and "Intergalactic."
Last edited by VaderFin on Wed May 24, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mutantseabass » Tue May 23, 2006 7:34 pm

I dont like either of them, but i would rather listen to the beastie boys. I cannot stand Micheal Stipe.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue May 23, 2006 7:36 pm

I have to agree with MSB, I can't stand Michael Stipe. Beastie Boys' License to Ill was one of the first albums I bought as a child and I still listen to it quite often. Beastie's all the way. ;-D
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Tue May 23, 2006 7:38 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I have to agree with MSB, I can't stand Michael Stipe. Beastie Boys' License to Ill was one of the first albums I bought as a child and I still listen to it quite often. Beastie's all the way. ;-D

I will say the Beasties did impress me the first album they all played instruments. I dont know which one it was, like i said was never a big fan.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Tue May 23, 2006 7:56 pm

I remember when R.E.M. was an unknown college band. Never liked them then and still don't like them now. Beastie Boys are one of the very few rap groups that I do like.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Tue May 23, 2006 8:04 pm

beasties broke more barriers than REM. plus they sample led zeppelin. michael stipe was #1 on my deathlist in highschool. that was a list i created of people i wanted to kill or see killed. my favorite method was harpooning. although i think stipe got "preferential treatment". :-b
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Popcynical » Tue May 23, 2006 8:22 pm

Gotta love the Beastie Boys. Licensed to Ill is a sick album.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The_Captain » Tue May 23, 2006 8:41 pm

Can't stand the Beastie Boys - went with REM. One of the classic 80's New Wave bands to emerge from the booming (at the time) Athens, GA scene.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Tue May 23, 2006 8:48 pm

went w/ rem...dont a big fan of the bb
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dirt Bag » Tue May 23, 2006 8:58 pm

Beastie Boys easily get my vote here...

Liscense to Ill is really the only album i listened to of theirs, though. It was real good and kept me occupied for plenty a' time
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk