BOTB: R.E.M. vs. The Beastie Boys--The Beastie Boys Win! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

BOTB: R.E.M. vs. The Beastie Boys--The Beastie Boys Win!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Opening Round Match Up

R.E.M.
35%
The Beastie Boys
65%

Total votes : 40

Postby ironman » Wed May 24, 2006 2:19 pm

Beasties will be a dark horse, mark my word.

After Nirvana won the Battle of the Modern Rock Bands a couple years ago over on the Darkside, I ran a Wild Card match versus the Beastie Boys to see what could've been had I included them in the BMRB.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... highlight=
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jayday » Wed May 24, 2006 3:11 pm

Beastie Boys....But I don't like either...
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed May 24, 2006 4:14 pm

VaderFin wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Tiki wrote:
knapplc wrote:REM without question. They made the college music scene what it is today. The Beasties followed along in the footsteps of others - REM were pioneers of their genre.
No way Beastie Boys followed in tohers steps. They helped Pioneer rap, and they did their own thing with rap. That statement is just a lie.

So you're saying rap didn't exist before the Beasties created it? You know that's not true. All the Beasties did was make it more acceptable to Whites because they're White (well, that's not all they did, but that was their major contribution).

When I think of Rap pioneers I think of Grandmaster Flash, The Sugarhill Gang and Run-D.M.C., not the Beasties.

Knapplc = Rap History Expert

If I were drinking anything at the time of reading this, it would have undoubtingly have been spit out. :-b

Anyways, I love "rapid eye movement." I could listen to their greatest hits album on repeat for days and not get bored with it. Beastie Boys were/are good too, but no way do they touch R.E.M.

Looks like it doesn't matter though.

:~(

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Wed May 24, 2006 4:45 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:
VaderFin wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Tiki wrote:
knapplc wrote:REM without question. They made the college music scene what it is today. The Beasties followed along in the footsteps of others - REM were pioneers of their genre.
No way Beastie Boys followed in tohers steps. They helped Pioneer rap, and they did their own thing with rap. That statement is just a lie.

So you're saying rap didn't exist before the Beasties created it? You know that's not true. All the Beasties did was make it more acceptable to Whites because they're White (well, that's not all they did, but that was their major contribution).

When I think of Rap pioneers I think of Grandmaster Flash, The Sugarhill Gang and Run-D.M.C., not the Beasties.

Knapplc = Rap History Expert

If I were drinking anything at the time of reading this, it would have undoubtingly have been spit out. :-b

Anyways, I love "rapid eye movement." I could listen to their greatest hits album on repeat for days and not get bored with it. Beastie Boys were/are good too, but no way do they touch R.E.M.

Looks like it doesn't matter though.

:~(

Oh, I get it - knapplc is a White Guy from the Midwest so he can't know anything about Rap, is that it?

This is just another case of the Man trying to keep me down. It won't work.

Punks. :-P
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Wed May 24, 2006 6:30 pm

knapplc wrote:
Tiki wrote:

So R.E.M. invented rock music? Cause that's what you're saying, Using your logic...Beastie Boys pioneered their type of rap music, it's different. There isn't any really like them. Their own their own level. Sorry Knap you're wrong. The Beastie Boys are pioneers.
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed May 24, 2006 6:38 pm

I need to chime in here. The Beastie Boys ARE pioneers to the rap world just like Living Colour are pioneers to the rock world. Nobody, and I mean nobody, was white and rapping with success before the Beastie Boys came along with their 1986 debut. To say that they aren't pioneers clearly shows a lack of understanding about what pioneers are. Just because the Beasties weren't the first rappers ever doesn't mean they didn't trailblaze for their craft. That's like saying Jackie Robinson isn't a pioneer for baseball simply because he wasn't around for the introduction of baseball.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Wed May 24, 2006 7:08 pm

Big seeding upset with the Beastie Boys winning 25-14.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Thu May 25, 2006 2:13 am

tiki is just upset with the format. move along people. nothing to see here.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu May 25, 2006 3:26 am

knapplc wrote:
Oh, I get it - knapplc is a White Guy from the Midwest so he can't know anything about Rap, is that it?

This is just another case of the Man trying to keep me down. It won't work.

Punks. :-P

No ... I just thought it was funny. ;-)

And for the record, I think information concerning the origin of modern rap music is far too spotty to have anyone claim to be an expert.

As for Knap v. Tiki, I think both bands were pioneers in their own right. The Beastie Boys brought rap/hip hop to a much wider audience by helping to nullify the color barrier ... outside of that, they really didn't do much. Yes, they definitely were unique in their own right. But they didn't change the face of modern music as we know it.

... and by the same token, neither did R.E.M. But I will say that as a whole, R.E.M. is a group of better musical talent than the Beastie Boys (Hell, they might agree). As far as just music goes, R.E.M. definitely takes the cake. "Losing My Religion" is still one of my favorite songs to date, and frankly, I think people will remember R.E.M. better in years to come moreso than the Beastie Boys. What song of theirs is "epic," to say the least? Fight for your right? Girls? No sleep 'till Brooklyn? Let's face it ... I like the Beastie Boys as much as any other college student, but their music did consist generally of shouting in tune and keeping rhythm. Their songs sound the SAME. And their lyrics are ... umm... yeah.

R.E.M. probably should have won, but fell short. I'm not really mad though ... Beastie Boys still left an impression on a great many people, and still do.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby moonhead » Thu May 25, 2006 7:57 am

my girlfriend is a beastie boys fan, and she says that they play all the instruments that you hear on the albums. not the most credible source, but i'll take it. ;-) for what it's worth.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk