BOTB: The Rolling Stones vs. RATM--The Rolling Stones Win! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

BOTB: The Rolling Stones vs. RATM--The Rolling Stones Win!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Opening Round Match Up

The Rolling Stones
76%
Rage Against The Machine
24%

Total votes : 41

BOTB: The Rolling Stones vs. RATM--The Rolling Stones Win!

Postby VaderFin » Tue May 23, 2006 7:54 pm

Opening Round Match Up featuring #4 seed The Rolling Stones vs. #61 seed Rage Against The Machine. Old rock vs. young rock. Voting ends Wed. at 8pm EST.

The Rolling Stones

The Rolling Stones are a British rock band that rose to prominence during the British Invasion in the 1960s. Like most early British rock groups, they were influenced by a variety of American musical forms, especially electric blues and early rock 'n' roll. By the mid-1960s, The Stones had fused their influences into a signature, guitar-based sound that established a prototype for hard rock. Second in popularity only to The Beatles, The Stones affected a rebellious, bad-boy image that helped propel their rise from an energetic modern blues outfit to one of the world's biggest and most influential bands. By the end of the '60s, The Stones had amassed a great number of hit singles, each record displaying an alarming rate of musical growth. Their music never strayed far from the blues, however, and by 1968, they returned to blues-based rock, embarking the following year on the now infamous U.S. tour that saw them billed as "The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World". They continue to record albums and tour the world to this day.

Rage Against The Machine

Rage Against the Machine, also known as Rage or RATM, was an American rock/rapcore band noted both for their diligent political conscience and for their pioneering blend of hard rock and rap — as well as their vocal militant leftist beliefs. Widely regarded as the definitive originators of the rap-rock genre, Rage drew inspiration from early metallic instrumentation to create an almost totally new style of music. At the point of their break-up in 2000, Rage Against the Machine had become one of the most popular political hard rock bands of all time, and certainly of the 1990s. Their second album, Evil Empire, entered Billboard Top 200 chart at number one in 1996. The following release, The Battle of Los Angeles also debuted at number one in 1999, selling 450,000 copies the first week and then going double-platinum. Hit songs include "Freedom", "Killing in the Name Of", "Guerilla Radio" and "Renegades of Funk".
Last edited by VaderFin on Wed May 24, 2006 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VaderFin » Tue May 23, 2006 7:57 pm

Never did see what people liked about the Stones. I don't own any of their albums or even any of their songs. Rage is one of the few recent bands I really, really like. Is a huge upset possible?
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Tue May 23, 2006 7:59 pm

this is not a contest...in my mind anyway. i'm not a fan of the stones, but i have seen them in concert and do own a couple of their albums. can't say the same for rage. after the first album i thought they sucked.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby mutantseabass » Tue May 23, 2006 8:02 pm

I have sympathy for the devil ;-D

The Stones are one of the most influental bands ever.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jimboozie » Tue May 23, 2006 8:02 pm

IMO Rage is one of the most overrated bands of all-time. I would have voted for anyone against RATM. Stones are one of the best rock bands ever. I'm not a big fan of softer rock, but the Stones just kinda grow on me after hearing them so much.

This is one of the easiest matchups. Stones move on - lets just close this one up right now. :-)
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Popcynical » Tue May 23, 2006 8:20 pm

Ouch.. I love Rage and all, but they don't compare to the Stones. I think The Stones vs. The Beatles later on would make a good match.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The_Captain » Tue May 23, 2006 8:42 pm

mutantseabass wrote:I have sympathy for the devil ;-D

The Stones are one of the most influental bands ever.

I don't have any Stones albums but I'll take their longevity and influence over who? anytime.....

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Tue May 23, 2006 8:48 pm

ouch...another tough first round matchup....went w/ the stones tho
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dirt Bag » Tue May 23, 2006 8:59 pm

Rage is pretty good and are getting robbed with this matchup...

Stones get my vote easily ;-D
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby J2thez929 » Tue May 23, 2006 9:05 pm

Even though I'm not a big Rage fan, I definately cannot stand The Stones. I think they are just plain terrible. Especially after that pathetic performance at the Super Bowl
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk