Bush as next commish? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bush as next commish?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bush as next commish?

Postby dream_017 » Wed May 24, 2006 2:23 pm

Looks like Jeb Bush has had a conversation. Looks like he would want to wait until January and it doesn't seem liek the NFL wants to wait that long.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Florida Gov. Jeb Bush said he was privately approached about his interest in becoming the NFL's next commissioner.

Bush said Tuesday the issue was discussed at a recent meeting with Patrick Rooney Sr., according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Rooney's brother is Dan Rooney, owner of Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers and co-chair of the search committee looking to replace the retiring Paul Tagliabue.

"I met with Mr. Rooney and I said, 'I'm doing my job until I'm finished and then I'm going to consider other things,"' Bush told the newspaper.

Bush has said he will not run for president in 2008. His final term as governor ends in January, although he doesn't believe NFL officials will hold the position open until then.

Tagliabue, who has been commissioner since 1989, announced in March his decision to retire. Although he originally set a July 31 deadline to be out of the job, he has indicated his willingness to stay on longer.

dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mysticphysh » Wed May 24, 2006 2:51 pm

OH GOD NO!!!! :~( :~( :~(
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jayday » Wed May 24, 2006 3:00 pm

This is the same guy who as a governor, his state couldn't run a successful punch-card ballot election....Do we really want him in charge of the NFL? :-? :-o
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed May 24, 2006 3:12 pm

dont know much about this guy, but doesnt look like a lot of people like him.

if he was involved in the stupid florida recount of 2000, i dont want him anywhere near the nfl.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Alkaholik » Wed May 24, 2006 3:31 pm

Wow, i'll let them take my money with taxes, use my 9/11 fear to go into war with Iraq, take more of my money on higher liquor taxes...but no way in hell is anyone going to take the one true thing from me or at least turn it into crap.....no one takes football away from me.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed May 24, 2006 3:34 pm

For the record... he was NOT involved in the Florida recount. He purposely remained out of it because of the clear conflict of interest. Katherine Harris was the recount goat.

He's eying a whitehouse run in about 8-12 years (to give him enough distance from his brother), so I'm not sure he wants to go into the private sector.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Wed May 24, 2006 3:44 pm

Ahhh, ignorance is bliss.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JStein » Wed May 24, 2006 5:57 pm

Condoleeza...and now Jeb Bush? Add Dick Cheney to that and you have a Republican Party running for comissioner.
JStein
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed May 24, 2006 6:33 pm

Yeah, this would not be the best thing in the world...I think that family has had plenty of chances to be in a power position...maybe he should leave football alone. :-/
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Wed May 24, 2006 7:20 pm

You have to be joking.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk