Anyone play Softball? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Anyone play Softball?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anyone play Softball?

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu May 25, 2006 12:48 pm

FYI, I just joined my company's softball team (co-ed league). We're 0-4. Even though we stink, I've been hitting pretty well, fielding well (at 3rd base), but throwing poorly to 1st base.

Anyone else play softball? I'm dying to join a second league. I just bought a new glove and I'm thinking of picking up a sweet bat.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anyone play Softball?

Postby dream_017 » Thu May 25, 2006 1:00 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:FYI, I just joined my company's softball team (co-ed league). We're 0-4. Even though we stink, I've been hitting pretty well, fielding well (at 3rd base), but throwing poorly to 1st base.

Anyone else play softball? I'm dying to join a second league. I just bought a new glove and I'm thinking of picking up a sweet bat.

Maybe you should try second base...shorter throw :-b

I retired from softball 6 years ago(yeah, I'm only 32 ;-) ) I came out of retirement for 1 game 2 years ago...and did pretty good. Maybe when my kids get a little older I'll play again :-/
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Re: Anyone play Softball?

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu May 25, 2006 1:03 pm

dream_017 wrote:Maybe you should try second base...shorter throw :-b

I retired from softball 6 years ago(yeah, I'm only 32 ;-) ) I came out of retirement for 1 game 2 years ago...and did pretty good. Maybe when my kids get a little older I'll play again :-/

We usually put a girl at 2nd base because most players are right-handed and pull the ball. Our 2nd base(wo)man is pretty good, so I think they'll keep her there.

I have pretty good reflexes, so I stop a lot of hits, but my throwing accuracy is bad to quite bad. I think I'm just rushing my throws.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby VaderFin » Thu May 25, 2006 1:07 pm

Fixing your throw to 3rd base is easy.....it's all muscle memory. You probably haven't made that throw much recently so your muscles aren't sure how to do it properly. Practice making that throw as much as you can before games and any other time you can and eventually you will be good to go. ;-D
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Alkaholik » Thu May 25, 2006 1:46 pm

I've been playing softball for the last 4 years(men's only, it's a lil more competitive)

One problem i always had is once the ball was hit to me i would get an adreneline rush and i am so excited or juiced up, after i field it when i throw it to first i try to hard and it either went in the dirt or way over his head......this aint notin easy to overcome, its more about taking your time, dont worry about how hard you throw it first, worry about accuracy and the speed will come after that, good thing to do is find some time with 3 people and have a guy on first and a guy at home hitting ground balls to u at 3rd.

I joined a new team this year and well.... we are 0-6, we have blown a 5 run lead in almost every game, but just last night i creamed one 299 feet, 1 foot short of the fence for my first inside the park homerun.....
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 25, 2006 2:55 pm

I've been playing for probably 5 years or so now. I play short and bat leadoff. It's a ton of fun. Just keep practicing that throw from 3rd to 1st. Over and over and over again. Eventually, like VaderFin said, your arm will get used to it and it'll be textbook for you. Also, if you have a good 1B, it's best to err on the side of low as opposed to whipping it as hard as you can and watching it sail over the fence. If you have to bounce it once, that's ok, till you get the hang of it.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby J2thez929 » Thu May 25, 2006 2:58 pm

I definately play softball over the summer. We were supposed to have our first games last weekend but they were rained out so our next men's sunday doubleheader games are the Sunday following this labor day weekend. I usually play 2B but I switch up between that SS b/c that position gets a lot more action. And I love action ;-) ;-D
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby catch22 » Thu May 25, 2006 3:08 pm

Every year when my kids go to there moms for the summer, I organize a team. Its a bitch to organize but I love softball. I've played third the last two years and will probably pitch this year. Throwing is probably my greatest asset. I have a problem keeping my glove down. Our fence is 300 down the line! I've seen one hit out in three years. Its also BYOB! Cant beat that.
"If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and can't tell who the sucker is.......... it's you."

How 'bout them Cowboys!!!!
catch22
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu May 25, 2006 3:54 pm

My guess is by all the glove references is that you guys all play 12". I guess it's just a Chicago thing where the men all play 16" and the women play 12". I just always thought if you are playing 12" it isn't really softball anymore, it's more like baseball for guys who can't hit baseballs. I mean, the ball isn't soft, and you need a mitt to catch it. Not saying that it's easier than 16" by any means, it's just a different game to me.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu May 25, 2006 7:33 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:My guess is by all the glove references is that you guys all play 12". I guess it's just a Chicago thing where the men all play 16" and the women play 12". I just always thought if you are playing 12" it isn't really softball anymore, it's more like baseball for guys who can't hit baseballs. I mean, the ball isn't soft, and you need a mitt to catch it. Not saying that it's easier than 16" by any means, it's just a different game to me.

My guess is that you are referring to ball size when you say 12" or 16".

Well, "softball" is a sport and there are many associations like the ASA, USSSA, etc. and they all use gloves and don't use 16" balls. Just because you can't afford gloves and use a giant softer ball, it doesn't make yours the "real" softball.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk