Anyone play Softball? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Anyone play Softball?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby moonhead » Thu May 25, 2006 7:47 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:My guess is by all the glove references is that you guys all play 12". I guess it's just a Chicago thing where the men all play 16" and the women play 12". I just always thought if you are playing 12" it isn't really softball anymore, it's more like baseball for guys who can't hit baseballs. I mean, the ball isn't soft, and you need a mitt to catch it. Not saying that it's easier than 16" by any means, it's just a different game to me.

My guess is that you are referring to ball size when you say 12" or 16".

Well, "softball" is a sport and there are many associations like the ASA, USSSA, etc. and they all use gloves and don't use 16" balls. Just because you can't afford gloves and use a giant softer ball, it doesn't make yours the "real" softball.

haha. freaking BH. that's a milk shooter.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Tiki » Thu May 25, 2006 9:30 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:My guess is by all the glove references is that you guys all play 12". I guess it's just a Chicago thing where the men all play 16" and the women play 12". I just always thought if you are playing 12" it isn't really softball anymore, it's more like baseball for guys who can't hit baseballs. I mean, the ball isn't soft, and you need a mitt to catch it. Not saying that it's easier than 16" by any means, it's just a different game to me.

Hehe ball size... ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Thu May 25, 2006 9:55 pm

Played baseball in high school, then 4 years of intramural softball at UF. Still play at UF, even though I'm not technically "legal" ;-D
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby portisfan24 » Thu May 25, 2006 10:02 pm

Do you guys refer to slo-pitch as softball? Softball is the windmill-style women's olympic sport. Slo-pitch is the lob pitch that takes no real skill.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri May 26, 2006 7:36 am

portisfan24 wrote:Do you guys refer to slo-pitch as softball? Softball is the windmill-style women's olympic sport. Slo-pitch is the lob pitch that takes no real skill.

There's fast-pitch softball and there's slow-pitch softball. Believe it or not, both are softball (I know those tricky names can fool you!).

There's also modified, which I think is a pretty low-to-no arc on the pitch, but it's not pitched super fast (correct me if I'm wrong).

I am referring to slow pitch softball. If you want to believe it takes no skill (try catching a screaming liner playing the hot corner), then ignorance is bliss, my friend.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri May 26, 2006 10:04 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:

Well, "softball" is a sport and there are many associations like the ASA, USSSA, etc. and they all use gloves and don't use 16" balls. Just because you can't afford gloves and use a giant softer ball, it doesn't make yours the "real" softball.

Just let me know when you can afford a personality make-over. I wasn't trying to be insulting, just stating that's how it is here, and it seems much different than anywhere else.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mysticphysh » Fri May 26, 2006 12:14 pm

My friggin church didn't join the church league this year. I was PISSED! After church one week I walked up to the dude who usually runs it for our church and asked when ball started and he was like "Tuesday".

He said it was because he ddn't think we'd have enough people to play (we live in an Air Force town where people come and go all the time). The only problem we had last year having to forfeit games because not having enough people was on mondays when we had a make up game. On the normal game days Tue and Thur, we didnt have any problems. Also, two different groups meet in our church and I'm sure if he would have asked the other group he could have found a few able bodies! :-# :-# :~( :~(

Anyways, last year was my first year playing in quite awhile. My batting was alright. I usually made it on base at least once a game. Nobody really had set positions in the field, but I usually played 2nd or catcher.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby portisfan24 » Fri May 26, 2006 10:59 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:Do you guys refer to slo-pitch as softball? Softball is the windmill-style women's olympic sport. Slo-pitch is the lob pitch that takes no real skill.

There's fast-pitch softball and there's slow-pitch softball. Believe it or not, both are softball (I know those tricky names can fool you!).

There's also modified, which I think is a pretty low-to-no arc on the pitch, but it's not pitched super fast (correct me if I'm wrong).

I am referring to slow pitch softball. If you want to believe it takes no skill (try catching a screaming liner playing the hot corner), then ignorance is bliss, my friend.

Slow-Pitch is a joke. I have played real softball, baseball and slow-pitch and believe me slow-pitch is for washed-up old men.
I realize that there aren't many leagues for baseball and softball
past the age of 18, but slow-pitch is the definition of beer league.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Sat May 27, 2006 12:39 am

Slow-pitch softball is the type of thing you do for fun with a bunch of guys you know, though it can get kind of competitive.

Quite frankly though, if you're male and looking to play in a "real" league, what the heck are you doing playing softball in the first place? No offense to anyone, but fast-pitch softball as far as males go is for confused people that want to think they're skilled at something they're not, because if they were they would be playing baseball.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat May 27, 2006 11:53 am

portisfan24 wrote:Slow-Pitch is a joke.

I like jokes. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker