BOTB: The Grateful Dead vs. Deep Purple--Deep Purple Wins! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

BOTB: The Grateful Dead vs. Deep Purple--Deep Purple Wins!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Opening Round Match Up

The Grateful Dead
46%
Deep Purple
54%

Total votes : 35

Postby moonhead » Fri May 26, 2006 10:33 am

knapplc wrote:
moonhead wrote:touch of grey was a #1 hit. people love that song. not just deadheads...and most deadheads don't think it's great.

So they've had one mainstream hit, and you're wondering why they're getting bounced in the first round?

most people know more grateful dead songs than deep purple songs. and that's a fact, jack.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 26, 2006 10:43 am

i voted for Deep Purple. Not a huge fan of theirs, but i never got into the hippie jam-band stuff.

Moon, with the Dead getting ousted you'll know how i feel about Tool being left out completely...but dont worry, i'm sure you will get by
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Fri May 26, 2006 10:55 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:i voted for Deep Purple. Not a huge fan of theirs, but i never got into the hippie jam-band stuff.

Moon, with the Dead getting ousted you'll know how i feel about Tool being left out completely...but dont worry, i'm sure you will get by

i will survive. tool is one of my favorite bands of the modern era. they got shafted.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Fri May 26, 2006 11:01 am

knapplc wrote:
moonhead wrote:touch of grey was a #1 hit. people love that song. not just deadheads...and most deadheads don't think it's great.

So they've had one mainstream hit, and you're wondering why they're getting bounced in the first round?

They've had plenty of hits. More than Deep Purple, that's for sure. Casey Jones, Truckin, Sugar Magnolia, etc.

Basically this is BS that they are going to lose, because Deep Purple doesn't really compare to the Dead. And you don't have to be a Dead Head to appreciate what they've done.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby moonhead » Fri May 26, 2006 11:08 am

disgruntledjetsfan wrote:
knapplc wrote:

They've had plenty of hits. More than Deep Purple, that's for sure. Casey Jones, Truckin, Sugar Magnolia, etc.

Basically this is BS that they are going to lose, because Deep Purple doesn't really compare to the Dead. And you don't have to be a Dead Head to appreciate what they've done.

word. smoke on the water is a fine song. but come on people. the dead toured for 30 years, virtually non stop. they were a force. i can't believe i'm fighting this hard for the dead in the first round. i wasn't prepared for this yet. :-P
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Fri May 26, 2006 11:09 am

knapplc wrote:

How much of the Dead's popularity is derived from outstanding musicianship and how much is derived from their promotion of an "alternative" lifestyle? :-?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Fri May 26, 2006 11:17 am

knapplc wrote:
knapplc wrote:

How much of the Dead's popularity is derived from outstanding musicianship and how much is derived from their promotion of an "alternative" lifestyle? :-?

more than deep purple's. are you questioning the talent of the dead? jerry garcia was a pioneer in guitar technique. he played electric guitar like a banjo. phil lesh had never even played a bass guitar before he joined the band in 1965. lesh was a concert basoonist. i can go on.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby VaderFin » Fri May 26, 2006 11:36 am

Only hippie freaks like The Dead. ;-7
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri May 26, 2006 12:02 pm

moonhead wrote:
knapplc wrote:
knapplc wrote:

more than deep purple's. are you questioning the talent of the dead? jerry garcia was a pioneer in guitar technique. he played electric guitar like a banjo. phil lesh had never even played a bass guitar before he joined the band in 1965. lesh was a concert basoonist. i can go on.

Kinda sorta. I mean, I recognize the Dead as one of the giants in music, but I really don't know that much about them because their music turns me off so much. So I'm not doubting that they're talented, just wondering how much of their popularity comes from their affinity for the herb.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Fri May 26, 2006 12:17 pm

it was LSD more than pot..but, yeah. they were the voice of a revolution.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk