Former Super Bowl Hero Sentenced - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Former Super Bowl Hero Sentenced

Moderator: Football Moderators

Former Super Bowl Hero Sentenced

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri May 26, 2006 4:53 pm

I can't think of a truer definition of a one-hit wonder than former Redskins RB, Timmy Smith. Sadly, he'll likely be remembered just as well for being another sad case of a good thing gone bad.

DENVER -- Former NFL running back and Super Bowl record-holder Timmy Smith was sentenced in federal court Friday to 2½ years in prison for conspiring to distribute cocaine.

Smith, 42, apologized to the state of Colorado during a hearing before U.S. District Judge Lewis Babcock. "I have made a mistake and I wasn't raised this way," he said.

Babcock said the former football player had been respected at his job as a security guard at a juvenile detention center. "You were leading a Jekyl and Hyde lifestyle," he said.

The former Washington Redskins running back was arrested last fall along with his younger brother, Christopher, after the pair sold about $20,000 worth of cocaine to undercover agents with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

Timmy Smith pleaded guilty in March to the conspiracy charge after federal prosecutors agreed to drop eight additional cocaine-trafficking counts in exchange for the guilty plea.

Christopher Smith pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of aiding and abetting and was sentenced this month to five years of probation.

In January 1988, Smith rushed for a Super Bowl-record 204 yards in the Redskins 42-10 rout of the Denver Broncos. He last played for the Dallas Cowboys in 1990.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Fri May 26, 2006 6:25 pm

sad that some of these guys cant handle themselves better
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Sat May 27, 2006 11:02 am

Babcock said the former football player had been respected at his job as a security guard at a juvenile detention center

I always wondered what happened to former SuperBowl heroes. Good to see that the Skins take such good care of their past heroes. Couldn't they at least let him sweep up around the Skins complex?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby mysticphysh » Sat May 27, 2006 11:34 am

moochman wrote:
Babcock said the former football player had been respected at his job as a security guard at a juvenile detention center

I always wondered what happened to former SuperBowl heroes. Good to see that the Skins take such good care of their past heroes. Couldn't they at least let him sweep up around the Skins complex?

I dont know about back then, but the NFL is taking better care of its former players even if the Skins don't. Anyways, it's his own fault if he ended up a security guard. He went to college didnt' he? Maybe he should have paid a little more attention and not just think football would carry him through. :-?
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moonhead » Sat May 27, 2006 1:35 pm

that's a fair amount of blow.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious