Alright then... please go away. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Alright then... please go away.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Alright then... please go away.

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat May 27, 2006 1:20 pm

Popcynical wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
TTTBone wrote:and from what I've garnered, you're also an insanely rich piece of crap at that.
Billionaire style.

Just to get an idea of what you're suggesting by this comment, are you saying that he's a piece of crap because he's rich? Or that it's wrong to be rich? Maybe it was just part of the rant as a throw in, but just because a man has money, does not make him a piece of crap.

I think TTT's saying that he's a piece of crap that happens to be rich.

I see.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TTTBone » Sat May 27, 2006 8:57 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
TTTBone wrote:and from what I've garnered, you're also an insanely rich piece of crap at that.
Billionaire style.

Just to get an idea of what you're suggesting by this comment, are you saying that he's a piece of crap because he's rich? Or that it's wrong to be rich? Maybe it was just part of the rant as a throw in, but just because a man has money, does not make him a piece of crap.

Here's an example of what I was getting at with that comment:

Support for Charles Taylor/Diamonds Controversy

Robertson repeatedly supported former President of Liberia Charles Taylor in various episodes of his 700 Club program during the United States' involvement in the Liberian Civil War in June and July of 2003. Robertson accuses the U.S. State Department of giving President Bush bad advice in supporting Taylor's ouster as president, and of trying "as hard as they can to destabilize Liberia."[13]

Robertson was criticized for failing to mention in his broadcasts his $8,000,000 (USD) investment in a Liberian gold mine.[14] Taylor had been at the time of Robertson's support indicted by the United Nations for war crimes, and prosecutors also said he had harbored members of Al Qaeda responsible for the 1998 U.S. embassy bombings. According to Robertson, the Liberian gold mine Freedom Gold was intended to help pay for humanitarian and evangelical efforts in Liberia, when in fact the company was allowed to fail leaving many debts both in Liberia and in the international mining service sector. Regarding this controversy, Richard Land, head of the Southern Baptist Convention's public policy said, "I would say that Pat Robertson is way out on his own, in a leaking life raft, on this one."[15]

Robertson has also been accused of using his tax-exempt, nonprofit organization, Operation Blessing, as a front for his own financial gain, and then using his influence in the Republican Party to cover his tracks. After making emotional pleas in 1994 on The 700 Club for cash donations to Operation Blessing to support airlifts of refugees from Rwanda to Zaire, it was later discovered, by a reporter from The Virginian Pilot, that Operation Blessing's planes were transporting diamond-mining equipment for the Robertson-owned African Development Corporation, a venture Robertson had established in cooperation with Zaire's dictator, Mobutu Sese Seko.

An investigation by the Commonwealth of Virginia's Office of Consumer Affairs determined that Robertson "willfully induced contributions from the public through the use of misleading statements and other implications" and called for a criminal prosecution against Robertson in 1999. However, the Virginia Attorney General Mark Earley, a Republican whose largest campaign contributor two years earlier was Robertson himself, intervened, accepting that Robertson had made deceptive appeals but overruling the recommendation for his prosecution.[16]

Using funds given for refugee aid to support your own diamond mining ventures with two brutal dictators. :-t :-t :-t
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby knapplc » Sat May 27, 2006 9:28 pm

TTT - why isn't this making mainstream news? I can't believe we haven't heard about this before.

What a jerk this guy is! 8-o
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby jayday » Sat May 27, 2006 9:59 pm

moonhead wrote:i think he predicted that there is going to be a catastrophic weather event hit the US in 2006. the 700 club is one of the funniest things on tv. almost as funny as foxnews.

One question.....700 Club - Great show? Or greatest show?
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby houstonherdfan » Sat May 27, 2006 10:54 pm

jayday wrote:
moonhead wrote:i think he predicted that there is going to be a catastrophic weather event hit the US in 2006. the 700 club is one of the funniest things on tv. almost as funny as foxnews.

wouldn't have a clue. I would rather watch the snow on a channel where there was no station broadcasting.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby mysticphysh » Sat May 27, 2006 11:09 pm

jayday wrote:

Dude, not very many people are going to get that reference to the Cobert Report! :-b ;-D
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat May 27, 2006 11:15 pm

TTTBone wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Billionaire style.

Here's an example of what I was getting at with that comment:

Support for Charles Taylor/Diamonds Controversy

Robertson repeatedly supported former President of Liberia Charles Taylor in various episodes of his 700 Club program during the United States' involvement in the Liberian Civil War in June and July of 2003. Robertson accuses the U.S. State Department of giving President Bush bad advice in supporting Taylor's ouster as president, and of trying "as hard as they can to destabilize Liberia."[13]

Robertson was criticized for failing to mention in his broadcasts his $8,000,000 (USD) investment in a Liberian gold mine.[14] Taylor had been at the time of Robertson's support indicted by the United Nations for war crimes, and prosecutors also said he had harbored members of Al Qaeda responsible for the 1998 U.S. embassy bombings. According to Robertson, the Liberian gold mine Freedom Gold was intended to help pay for humanitarian and evangelical efforts in Liberia, when in fact the company was allowed to fail leaving many debts both in Liberia and in the international mining service sector. Regarding this controversy, Richard Land, head of the Southern Baptist Convention's public policy said, "I would say that Pat Robertson is way out on his own, in a leaking life raft, on this one."[15]

Robertson has also been accused of using his tax-exempt, nonprofit organization, Operation Blessing, as a front for his own financial gain, and then using his influence in the Republican Party to cover his tracks. After making emotional pleas in 1994 on The 700 Club for cash donations to Operation Blessing to support airlifts of refugees from Rwanda to Zaire, it was later discovered, by a reporter from The Virginian Pilot, that Operation Blessing's planes were transporting diamond-mining equipment for the Robertson-owned African Development Corporation, a venture Robertson had established in cooperation with Zaire's dictator, Mobutu Sese Seko.

An investigation by the Commonwealth of Virginia's Office of Consumer Affairs determined that Robertson "willfully induced contributions from the public through the use of misleading statements and other implications" and called for a criminal prosecution against Robertson in 1999. However, the Virginia Attorney General Mark Earley, a Republican whose largest campaign contributor two years earlier was Robertson himself, intervened, accepting that Robertson had made deceptive appeals but overruling the recommendation for his prosecution.[16]

Using funds given for refugee aid to support your own diamond mining ventures with two brutal dictators. :-t :-t :-t

Wow. 8-o
Nice find. My dad's a big supporter of Robertson. I've always thought of him more as a preacher than a politician, meaning, I'll read some of his books on theology, but take his political opinions for what they're worth.
I studied the Liberian conflict a few years ago and am surprised by this. I'll have to print this out and show my dad. He's pretty stubborn though, so he'll probably attempt to find a silver lining, though I can't imagine there being one.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby PACKman1144 » Sun May 28, 2006 1:56 pm

I've never really liked him, even though I am a Christian,Consrevative Republican. I've always felt he tried to manipulate people and is full of bs.

And there is no way he lifted a ton
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sun May 28, 2006 2:56 pm

mysticphysh wrote:
jayday wrote:

Dude, not very many people are going to get that reference to the Cobert Report! :-b ;-D

You'd be suprised. That show has grown in popularity astronomically. Especially among college students.

I always try to sneak in Colbert references in converation (mostly concerning the dastardly exploits of the Bear Agenda), but get caught a lot.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Sun May 28, 2006 3:06 pm

If you haven't seen Colbert roasting Bush at the correspondents dinner you haven't experienced true comedy. It takes some serious balls to get up on stage and make fun of Bush to his face for 15 minutes straight and then show a hilarious clip that doesn't relate at all.

Go to Google video and search Colbert + Bush.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk