Funny thing happened... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Funny thing happened...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Funny thing happened...

Postby TTTBone » Mon May 29, 2006 6:17 pm

Funny thing happened on my way to taking my dog for a walk this morning.

When it gets hot like this (90+ degrees) I take my Chesapeake/Lab mix "Sam" for a walk in one of the local parks located along the Mississippi, so he can swim and cool off.

When I got to the park, the parking lot was filled up, but not with your expected holiday revelers, rather with veterans there for a memorial service.
As I walked by the gathering towards the trail (the service hadn't yet started) a park worker came up to me and asked if I would be staying for the outdoor service, that my dog was more than welcome, and then gave me a program.
I told her thank you, but Sammy needed his walk and I didn't want to disrupt the service.

I did my walk with Sam (letting him swim in the river for a cool-off) and then proceeded to make my way out of the park.

Well, the service was going on right at the entrance to the hiking trail down to the river, and just as I exited, the National Anthem began to play.
I quietly took my place standing in the back, waiting for the Anthem to finish, looking towards the Stars & Stripes on one flagpole, and also the four other flagpoles adorned with various other service, regiment, and POW/MIA flags.

The music was piped in, but the the words were delivered incredibly beautifully be the audience of maybe 60 mostly WWII vets with some Vietnam vets mixed in (most of the men in full uniform).
I was pretty awestruck, and as the anthem ended, I noticed that at least three men within 20 feet of me were crying.

In an instant, I knew that I was not going to disrespect any of these men by quietly sneaking off with my dog at this point.
Needless to say, I stayed for the whole service.

I won't get into too much detail about what was included in this hour long service; except to say it included beautiful and heartwrenching personal accounts delivered by both WWII and Vietnam vets, some prayer, song, poetry, and a placing of wreaths. The service finished with a 21 gun salute, and then a solemn rendition of "Taps".

Really brought home what this day is all about, in a big way.

As I tried to quietely make my exit after the service (I kind of felt like an intruder in a holy place), a couple of the vets came up to me to admire my dog. I told them how touched I was by what I had seen and heard, and thanked them personally for their service and sacrifice.

Sadly, one of the vets then actually thanked me and pointed out that I was probably one of the few people there who wasn't a vet or a family member of a vet.
I sheepishly thanked him again, and told him I'd be back next year, and then made my exit.

Like I said, this accidental encounter really hit home with me, and I will be going back next year.

It sounds so inadequate on a message board, but...
"A truly heartfelt Thank You to all the Veterans out there."
;-D ;-D

Note: The funny thing is, that my dog Sam usually can't sit still outside for more than a few minutes, but he sat or lied down quietly for the whole service, as if sensing the weight of what was going on. I was very worried when I saw they were going to do the rifle salute, but I couldn't very well leave at that point; so I just kept a tight leash and tried to calm him, and he was fine.

Good dog. :-)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Popcynical » Mon May 29, 2006 6:48 pm

Wow, that's pretty cool. World War Two vets?!! Those guys must have been ancient.

But yes, a great big thanks to the Veterans out there.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Mon May 29, 2006 6:59 pm

I have all the respect in the world for anyone who is or has served in the military for our country.

I spent the weekend at my cabin having our annual Memorial Day bash. Among the people there were one of my best friends for the last 20 years. He is shipping back out to Iraq on thursday. The guy is just bigger then life to me. He re-upped when the Iraq war was starting so he could help his brothers(hes a doc). I had asked him over the weekend if he was scared at all going back over there, he looked at me and said if you dont have fear your dead.Its all about helping your brothers. Needless to say I made sure he had whatever he wanted to eat and drink. He was a part of Desert Storm, done some time in Afgahanistan and is going over for his second tour of Iraq. I fear for him everytime he goes.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Funny thing happened...

Postby Nfl Fan » Mon May 29, 2006 7:02 pm

TTTBone wrote:...and thanked them personally for their service and sacrifice.

Nice read, T. Thanks for sharing.

The blood of the Vet. We all owe them all a huge debt of gratitude. Thanks for the word... reminds me that I have a couple phone calls to make. I read something today that most Vets are happy with the occasional, "Thanks."

So...
When you meet the Viet Nam vet, or the WWII vet, or any other vet....

Remember to say, "Thank-You for your service to our country."
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dirt Bag » Mon May 29, 2006 7:39 pm

very good story, man...

i've attended something similar it wasn't full of a ton of vets though, maybe 8-12 of them but yeah they're real touching and makes you really understand what they're doing and how much it is for our country ;-D
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon May 29, 2006 8:08 pm

My undying appreciation goes out to all those men and women who sacrifice so much, some of them, even their lives, so that we can exercise our rights and live comfortably in the greatest country on the face of the earth. My son doesn't call these men and women soldiers, he calls them heros.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby mutantseabass » Tue May 30, 2006 8:33 am

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Tue May 30, 2006 9:57 am

Very nice story. Sad to say, but most would have probably went on their way after the walk. I can't say for sure, but these kind of things intrigue me, so I think I would have done the same as you and stayed ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue May 30, 2006 2:40 pm

mutantseabass wrote:Watch this........

http://www.forest.ws/WeSupportU.htm

Seabass...
You rock! ;-D
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue May 30, 2006 3:12 pm

mutantseabass wrote:Watch this........

http://www.forest.ws/WeSupportU.htm

;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero