Ropeless Jump Rope? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Ropeless Jump Rope?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ropeless Jump Rope?

Postby jayday » Mon May 29, 2006 11:14 pm

Yep...Believe it or not, it's true...Someone actually patented this and is trying to sell it :-b

Link Here

WASHINGTON -- If you think keeping fit is merely mind over matter, Lester Clancy has an invention for you: a cordless jump-rope.

That's right, a jump-rope minus the rope. All that's left is two handles, so you jump over the pretend rope. Or if you are truly lazy, you can pretend to jump over the pretend rope.

And for that idea kicking around Clancy's head since 1988, the U.S. Patent Office this month awarded the 52-year-old Mansfield, Ohio, man a patent. Its number: 7037243.

What makes this invention work is the moving weights inside the handles. They simulate the feel of a rope moving, Clancy said. Well, it's only one handle so far because Clancy is waiting for financial backers before building its partner.

But why jump rope without a rope?

It's perfect for the clumsy, Clancy said. "If you are still jumping, you're still using your legs as well as your arms, and getting the cardiovascular workout. You just don't have to worry about tripping on the rope."

It is also good for mental institutions and prisons where rope is a suicide risk, said Clancy, who works as a laundry coordinator in a state prison. And low ceiling fans aren't a hazard any more, he said.

Daniel Wright, who features the cordless jump-rope on his Web site http://www.patentlysilly.com, can barely talk about Clancy's invention without laughing.

"What really grabbed me," Wright said, "was the name the item has in its patent."

The idea isn't all that crazy, said Mike Ernst, a professor of kinesiology at California State University in Dominguez Hills.

"I think it's silly, but at the same time if somehow, some way it promotes physical activity, gets kids active, then I'm all for it," Ernst said.

The more he thought about it, the more Ernst said he could see the benefit, adding that the act of jumping, not the rope itself, is what provides exercise.

"Do you need to jump with a rope? You don't," Ernst said. "But I wouldn't buy the product, I can tell you that. I'm not an idiot."

High-tech handles aren't needed. You could even use toilet paper holders, Ernst said. On second thought, he wondered if he could patent that idea.

But the thing that scares me is that we are now going to have a whole generation of young people who aren't going to be able to use an old-fashioned jump rope...Our society is in shambles...Right Omaha? ;-7 :D
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mysticphysh » Tue May 30, 2006 1:35 am

Or if you are truly lazy, you can pretend to jump over the pretend rope.

That made me giggle

Crap like this is why the patent office is backlogged. I know they can't turn down a patent even if its crap but they should be given that power! Take one look at crap like this, have a good laugh then stamp a big red CRAP stamp on it and send it back to the "inventor" and move on.

CRAP!
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Ropeless Jump Rope?

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue May 30, 2006 7:46 am

"I think it's silly, but at the same time if somehow, some way it promotes physical activity, gets kids active, then I'm all for it," Ernst said.

That's my thoughts exactly. It's weird, but whatever gets people off their asses I guess.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby xted30 » Tue May 30, 2006 12:04 pm

mysticphysh wrote:
Or if you are truly lazy, you can pretend to jump over the pretend rope.

That made me giggle

Crap like this is why the patent office is backlogged. I know they can't turn down a patent even if its crap but they should be given that power! Take one look at crap like this, have a good laugh then stamp a big red CRAP stamp on it and send it back to the "inventor" and move on.

CRAP!

Amen. I second that. The probelem is, we're too afraid as a society that we'll hurt someone's feelings. We can't stamp CRAP! on their request for a patent since we might hurt their little psyche. God forbid we should tell someone their idea wouldn't sell. ;-7
xted30
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue May 30, 2006 12:22 pm

That's weird. :-?

My idea for a new sport is an addition to the X-Games. Skydiving races.

The racers all jump out of an airplane at the same time. First one to the ground wins.

For extra excitement do it at night!

The beauty of it is that everyone can win....once. Plus we get fewer nutty extreme dudes to annoy us.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mutantseabass » Tue May 30, 2006 12:25 pm

Why not. People bought "Pet Rocks". If you can sell someone a rock you can sell someone anything.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue May 30, 2006 1:52 pm

before you know it, people will be buying

The Amazing BOX OF AIR!!!*

*: Box not included
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue May 30, 2006 2:13 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:My idea for a new sport is an addition to the X-Games. Skydiving races.

The racers all jump out of an airplane at the same time. First one to the ground wins.

;-D

Someone's going to steal that idea Mookie, I'd take credit while the gettins good. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue May 30, 2006 9:17 pm

Dang...that is pretty dumb. I mean, if you wanted to do that, just jump up and down for the hell of it. Why buy two rope handles? :-?
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mysticphysh » Tue May 30, 2006 9:48 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Dang...that is pretty dumb. I mean, if you wanted to do that, just jump up and down for the hell of it. Why buy two rope handles? :-?

if you must, just use two empty toliet paper rolls for ropeless handles :-b
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to General Talk