Blade Runner To Get Theater Re-Release - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Blade Runner To Get Theater Re-Release

Moderator: Football Moderators

Blade Runner To Get Theater Re-Release

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon May 29, 2006 11:59 pm

As a huge fan of the film, I'm stoked to hear that it's going to get a new DVD treatment and even more excited by the prospects of it being re-released into theaters. Blade Runner ranks as one of my all-time favorite movies and a classic science fiction story seldom given the respect it so rightfully deserves.

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Ridley Scott's sci-fi classic "Blade Runner," one of the first movies to appear on DVD in 1997, is being restored and remastered for a brief reissue in September.

The DVD, featuring the 1992 "director's cut," will be deleted after four months, and replaced by a 25th anniversary "final cut," which Warner Home Video is billing as Scott's "definitive new version" of the film.

After a limited theatrical release, the newly spruced-up "Runner" will be released in a multidisc special edition DVD that also will include the original theatrical cut, the expanded international theatrical cut and the 1992 director's cut.

Warner said specifics about the two DVD editions will be announced later.

The director's cut first came out on DVD before optimal formatting standards had been established, said Doug Pratt, editor of the DVD-LaserDisc Newsletter.

"Shortly afterwards, it went into moratorium. The early adopters who bought the title have long since wished to see it upgraded, while other fans, who came into DVDs later on, have been unable to find it at all. It is the only 'big' sci-fi spectacle currently unavailable on DVD," Pratt said.

"Runner" stars Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Edward James Olmos and Daryl Hannah and won plaudits -- as well as two Oscar nominations -- for its dark, bleak vision of the future. Ford heads the cast as Rick Deckard, a futuristic cop -- the film is set in 2019 Los Angeles -- who needs to kill four errant human clones who hijack a space ship back to Earth after escaping from exile in an off-world colony.

The film opened in theaters in summer 1982, and while it grossed only $26.2 million, it quickly became a cult classic. The film is based on the novel by late science fiction writer Philip K. Dick, whose prose also led to such films as "Total Recall," "Minority Report" and "Paycheck."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue May 30, 2006 12:02 am

Now that's a movie worth seeing on the big screen. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue May 30, 2006 12:05 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:Now that's a movie worth seeing on the big screen. ;-D

Exactly. I always thought it was a shame I was too young to have seen in on the big screen. I was just five years old in 1982, so seeing it in theaters will really be a dream come true. ;-D
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue May 30, 2006 1:28 am

Never seen it ... is that blasphemy?

Anyways, I also heard that a theatre re-release was in the works for Boondock Saints. Should be interesting to the that on the big screen. That movie is ridiculously overrated, but it's still a good movie.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mysticphysh » Tue May 30, 2006 1:37 am

YES! Now I can go to the theaters and be bored instead of sitting on my couch watching it on A&E and be bored.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Tue May 30, 2006 7:59 am

This would be a great movie to see again on the big screen. ;-D

I wonder if they'll show it in my area. :-?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue May 30, 2006 11:10 am

Sweet.

My perfect day would be skipping work for a Bladerunner/Highlander double feature.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mutantseabass » Tue May 30, 2006 11:18 am

Thats sweet. I remember my brother and I skipped school to see Bladerunner. I hope that it comes to the theatres again.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby xted30 » Tue May 30, 2006 11:21 am

As much as I enjoyed the movie, the book was much better. But then, I guess that's the case most of the time. I feel like whatever someone puts on the big screen isn't always necessarily the way I saw it in my mind's eye. But it was a good flick. I'm looking forward to seeing it on the big screen.
xted30
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue May 30, 2006 1:34 pm

i think if i had seen it when it first came out i'd have really liked it, but i only 1st saw it a few years ago and thought it was just OK
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk