Don't mess with a Marine - learned the hard way - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Don't mess with a Marine - learned the hard way

Moderator: Football Moderators

Don't mess with a Marine - learned the hard way

Postby knapplc » Tue May 30, 2006 3:17 pm

ATLANTA - A former Marine used a pocket knife to fend off a group of would-be robbers, killing one and wounding another, police said.

Thomas Autry, who authorities said will not be charged, had been walking home from his job waiting tables Monday night when four people got out of a car and chased him, Atlanta police detective Danny Stephens said.

One of the attackers had a shotgun and another had a pistol, Stephens said.

The suspects caught up with Autry, who yelled for help and pulled a knife out of his backpack. He kicked the shotgun out of one of the attacker's hands and stabbed both a 17-year-old girl who jumped on him and a man who also attacked him.

The suspects fled in their car but police found them later at a hospital where the girl was pronounced dead. The man stabbed in the incident was in critical condition, Stephens said.

Autry's attackers will face robbery and aggravated assault charges and are suspected in other robberies over the past week, Stephen said.

Stephens credited Autry's military training with helping him fend off the group.

"I would say he had to do what he had to do to stop the threat," Stephens said. "You can tell his training kicked in and he knew what to do."

Autry, 36, suffered a cut to his hand and a bruise on his chest, Stephens said.

It's too bad this girl died, but that's what you can get if you A) decide to live a life of crime and B) choose an ex-Marine as your target.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jayday » Tue May 30, 2006 3:19 pm

Jenny: "Run Thomas! Run!"

But yea, it's good to hear heisn't gonna get charged....It could've played out like the ConAir conviction :-°
Last edited by jayday on Tue May 30, 2006 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Dolfin99 » Tue May 30, 2006 3:25 pm

The training we get is definately beneficial in and out of combat ;-D

This story makes me proud. :-D
Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig.
Dolfin99

EditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue May 30, 2006 3:35 pm

nice job. i wish that schools had the same rule on self-defense issues like that. the rule here is that if you fight back, you get suspended too.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Tue May 30, 2006 3:54 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:nice job. i wish that schools had the same rule on self-defense issues like that. the rule here is that if you fight back, you get suspended too.

well i can guarrantee that if 4 people, two of which have guns, try to rob you in your school, you won't get suspended if you fight back.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue May 30, 2006 4:13 pm

disgruntledjetsfan wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:nice job. i wish that schools had the same rule on self-defense issues like that. the rule here is that if you fight back, you get suspended too.

well i can guarrantee that if 4 people, two of which have guns, try to rob you in your school, you won't get suspended if you fight back.

That's very true, but I agree that each case should be handled independently instead of a blanket no-fighting rule. It was the same in my high school, and I had plenty of fights, none of which I initiated. I was suspended more than I was in school, and I never did anything but defend myself. While I can admit it was a bit brought upon myself by the crowd that I hung with, defending yourself from bodily harm should never be punished, and I still harbor a lot of resentment towards my school staff after all these years for being treated as a criminal, when in fact I was a victim. It had a major bearing on my decision to quit school and get my GED instead.

Anyway, about the story, I'm glad this guy did what he did, even if it involved the death of a 17 year old girl. If more people lethally defended themselves against these bottom feeding scumbags, maybe they would think twice before doing things like that.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Tue May 30, 2006 5:53 pm

8-o Reminds me of the quote in Wayne's World 2:

Del Preston: So there, I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night. So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopkeeper and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really, but sure enough I got the M&Ms, and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show.

:-b
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Alkaholik » Tue May 30, 2006 6:11 pm

jayday wrote:Jenny: "Run Thomas! Run!"

But yea, it's good to hear heisn't gonna get charged....It could've played out like the ConAir conviction :-°

The first thing that came to my mind when i first started reading this was that fight nicholas cage had outside that bar in conair
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby moonhead » Tue May 30, 2006 6:21 pm

Alkaholik wrote:
jayday wrote:Jenny: "Run Thomas! Run!"

The first thing that came to my mind when i first started reading this was that fight nicholas cage had outside that bar in conair

in that movie the perps pick up their weapon before the cops show up. so it looked like it was a fist fight. but i wouldn't put too much weight in what that movie has to say.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Tue May 30, 2006 7:05 pm

its good to see that some people will standup for themselves...

its good to see that the guy isnt getting into any trouble tho
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to General Talk