Prehistoric ecosystem found in Israeli cave - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Prehistoric ecosystem found in Israeli cave

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Balanced Man » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:27 am

Wed May 31, 8:10 AM ET

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israeli scientists said on Wednesday they had discovered a prehistoric ecosystem dating back millions of years.

The discovery was made in a cave near the central Israeli city of Ramle during rock drilling at a quarry. Scientists were called in and soon found eight previously unknown species of crustaceans and invertebrates similar to scorpions.

"Until now eight species of animals were found in the cave, all of them unknown to science," said Dr Hanan Dimantman, a biologist at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

He said the cave's ecosystem probably dates back around five million years when the Mediterranean Sea covered parts of Israel.

The cave was completely sealed off from the world, including from water and nutrients seeping through rock crevices above. Scientists who discovered the cave believe it has been intact for millions of years.

"Every species we examined had no eyes which means they lost their sight due to evolution," said Dimantman.

Samples of the animals discovered in the cave were sent for DNA tests which found they were unique, he said. The cave has been closed off as scientists conduct a more detailed survey.

"This is a cave of fantastic biodiversity," Dimantman said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060531/sc_ ... el_cave_dc
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:32 am

Wow that is an incredible find. There are so many things out there that have yet to be found. Very encouraging to see progress like this. Nice post TBM

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:52 am

This is a great find, and could go a LONG way toward furthering our understanding of the world's biology and evolution.

What I find equally amazing is that, with all the people going through there for the last 5,000 years, that this site is undisturbed. That's pretty incredible.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:32 am

Wow, that is amazing. I'm surprised I haven't seen this anywhere yet.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:37 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Wow, that is amazing. I'm surprised I haven't seen this anywhere yet.

It's science. Fewer people care or comprehend (or want to comprehend it) than the people who care about or comprehend a story about whatever Britney's doing with her baby today.

While this is a MUCH more worthwhile story, it's buried a page or two back because it's not sexy. It's a sad commentary on our culture, actually. :-/
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:43 am

knapplc wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Wow, that is amazing. I'm surprised I haven't seen this anywhere yet.

It's science. Fewer people care or comprehend (or want to comprehend it) than the people who care about or comprehend a story about whatever Britney's doing with her baby today.

While this is a MUCH more worthwhile story, it's buried a page or two back because it's not sexy. It's a sad commentary on our culture, actually. :-/

I think it's sexy as hell! Seriously, I'm fascinated by this stuff. I don't know as much as I would like, but paleontology absolutely keeps my attention.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:55 am

"Every species we examined had no eyes which means they lost their sight due to evolution," said Dimantman.

Sounds a little on the junkish side of Science... flawed logic.

Regardless... it's still interesting.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:57 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
knapplc wrote:

I think it's sexy as hell! Seriously, I'm fascinated by this stuff. I don't know as much as I would like, but paleontology absolutely keeps my attention.

Yeah, me too, but remember that the bulk of the country has an 8th grade education level.

There's a reason that people like Roseanne Barr have careers.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:13 am

Twisted Sister wrote:"Every species we examined had no eyes which means they lost their sight due to evolution," said Dimantman.

There is a spieces of fish from Central AMerica(Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus) which lives in caves. It also is said to evolved to have no eyes seeing it lives in pitch dark caves it has no need for eyesight. Its coloration is a pinkish hue almost albino, evloution is an amazing thing.

I have been fortunate enoughto have bred and cared for this species of fish, the eye sockets are almost scared over as if they at one time had eyes. A very interesting fish.

The University of Maryland had conducted an experiment with the Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus. To give you the jist of the story the implanted lenses into a Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus from a Astyanax faciatus(a close eyed realitive) and the Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus began to regenerate eyes. Alot of people then questioned what they did and how they came to conclusion that the fish had once had eyes. The debate was really up for discussion for a while until. A fish farm in Florida who has raised to Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus for the last 40 years found an amazing discovery. The Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus they kept in breeding ponds outdoors were starting to develop eyes. While the ones that they raised indoors in massive indoor ponds were not.

So its really not junkish or flawed science, it has been proven.

Here are some pics of the fish

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:19 am

mutantseabass wrote:
Twisted Sister wrote:"Every species we examined had no eyes which means they lost their sight due to evolution," said Dimantman.

There is a spieces of fish from Central AMerica(Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus) which lives in caves. It also is said to evolved to have no eyes seeing it lives in pitch dark caves it has no need for eyesight. Its coloration is a pinkish hue almost albino, evloution is an amazing thing.

I have been fortunate enoughto have bred and cared for this species of fish, the eye sockets are almost scared over as if they at one time had eyes. A very interesting fish.

The University of Maryland had conducted an experiment with the Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus. To give you the jist of the story the implanted lenses into a Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus from a Astyanax faciatus(a close eyed realitive) and the Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus began to regenerate eyes. Alot of people then questioned what they did and how they came to conclusion that the fish had once had eyes. The debate was really up for discussion for a while until. A fish farm in Florida who has raised to Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus for the last 40 years found an amazing discovery. The Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus they kept in breeding ponds outdoors were starting to develop eyes. While the ones that they raised indoors in massive indoor ponds were not.

So its really not junkish or flawed science, it has been proven.

Let's not start a debate over the Theory of Evolution... :*)

knapplc wrote:There's a reason that people like Roseanne Barr have careers.

:-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk