Prehistoric ecosystem found in Israeli cave - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Prehistoric ecosystem found in Israeli cave

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:21 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
mutantseabass wrote:
Twisted Sister wrote:"Every species we examined had no eyes which means they lost their sight due to evolution," said Dimantman.


Sounds a little on the junkish side of Science... flawed logic.

Regardless... it's still interesting.



There is a spieces of fish from Central AMerica(Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus) which lives in caves. It also is said to evolved to have no eyes seeing it lives in pitch dark caves it has no need for eyesight. Its coloration is a pinkish hue almost albino, evloution is an amazing thing.

I have been fortunate enoughto have bred and cared for this species of fish, the eye sockets are almost scared over as if they at one time had eyes. A very interesting fish.

The University of Maryland had conducted an experiment with the Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus. To give you the jist of the story the implanted lenses into a Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus from a Astyanax faciatus(a close eyed realitive) and the Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus began to regenerate eyes. Alot of people then questioned what they did and how they came to conclusion that the fish had once had eyes. The debate was really up for discussion for a while until. A fish farm in Florida who has raised to Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus for the last 40 years found an amazing discovery. The Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus they kept in breeding ponds outdoors were starting to develop eyes. While the ones that they raised indoors in massive indoor ponds were not.


So its really not junkish or flawed science, it has been proven.


Let's not start a debate over the Theory of Evolution... :*)

knapplc wrote:There's a reason that people like Roseanne Barr have careers.

:-b


How am i starting a debate when i have proof of what i am speaking about?
Image

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11757
Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Motor City

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:25 am

mutantseabass wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
mutantseabass wrote:
Twisted Sister wrote:"Every species we examined had no eyes which means they lost their sight due to evolution," said Dimantman.


Sounds a little on the junkish side of Science... flawed logic.

Regardless... it's still interesting.



There is a spieces of fish from Central AMerica(Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus) which lives in caves. It also is said to evolved to have no eyes seeing it lives in pitch dark caves it has no need for eyesight. Its coloration is a pinkish hue almost albino, evloution is an amazing thing.

I have been fortunate enoughto have bred and cared for this species of fish, the eye sockets are almost scared over as if they at one time had eyes. A very interesting fish.

The University of Maryland had conducted an experiment with the Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus. To give you the jist of the story the implanted lenses into a Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus from a Astyanax faciatus(a close eyed realitive) and the Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus began to regenerate eyes. Alot of people then questioned what they did and how they came to conclusion that the fish had once had eyes. The debate was really up for discussion for a while until. A fish farm in Florida who has raised to Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus for the last 40 years found an amazing discovery. The Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus they kept in breeding ponds outdoors were starting to develop eyes. While the ones that they raised indoors in massive indoor ponds were not.


So its really not junkish or flawed science, it has been proven.


Let's not start a debate over the Theory of Evolution... :*)

knapplc wrote:There's a reason that people like Roseanne Barr have careers.

:-b


How am i starting a debate when i have proof of what i am speaking about?


Adaptation and evolution are two different subjects of science. I believe this is adaptation, not evolution. The species stays the same in this case. Fascinating though, I agree. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:32 am

Twisted Sister wrote:"Every species we examined had no eyes which means they lost their sight due to evolution," said Dimantman.


Sounds a little on the junkish side of Science... flawed logic.

Regardless... it's still interesting.


I agree with OSR. I think he did say the wrong word by going with evolution. Them adapting to their surroundings is more like it.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 8165
Joined: 1 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:39 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
mutantseabass wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
mutantseabass wrote:
Twisted Sister wrote:"Every species we examined had no eyes which means they lost their sight due to evolution," said Dimantman.


Sounds a little on the junkish side of Science... flawed logic.

Regardless... it's still interesting.



There is a spieces of fish from Central AMerica(Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus) which lives in caves. It also is said to evolved to have no eyes seeing it lives in pitch dark caves it has no need for eyesight. Its coloration is a pinkish hue almost albino, evloution is an amazing thing.

I have been fortunate enoughto have bred and cared for this species of fish, the eye sockets are almost scared over as if they at one time had eyes. A very interesting fish.

The University of Maryland had conducted an experiment with the Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus. To give you the jist of the story the implanted lenses into a Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus from a Astyanax faciatus(a close eyed realitive) and the Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus began to regenerate eyes. Alot of people then questioned what they did and how they came to conclusion that the fish had once had eyes. The debate was really up for discussion for a while until. A fish farm in Florida who has raised to Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus for the last 40 years found an amazing discovery. The Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus they kept in breeding ponds outdoors were starting to develop eyes. While the ones that they raised indoors in massive indoor ponds were not.


So its really not junkish or flawed science, it has been proven.


Let's not start a debate over the Theory of Evolution... :*)

knapplc wrote:There's a reason that people like Roseanne Barr have careers.

:-b


How am i starting a debate when i have proof of what i am speaking about?


Adaptation and evolution are two different subjects of science. I believe this is adaptation, not evolution. The species stays the same in this case. Fascinating though, I agree. ;-D


We see things differently but thats what makes the world go round. I respect anyone for at least taking an interest in science foremost! ;-D
Image

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11757
Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Motor City

Postby The Balanced Man » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:44 am

A Pic for yall


Image
Last edited by The Balanced Man on Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6209
Joined: 20 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On my Ipod Touch

Postby knapplc » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:48 am

TBM - you have to get rid of the question mark in that addy for it to show. ;-)
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:48 am

The Balanced Man wrote:A Pic for yall


Image


Not showing up TBM

Here:
Image
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:49 am

Yep, I don't think anyone has a problem with Natural Selection or Adaptation... heck, we see it everywhere <bad pun>

Per your fish example, no NEW genetic information was created... only subtracted.

No need to make this an evolution thread... my point was that this scientist was not being very scientific with his comments. He automatically discredits himself in terms of his opinions (science that is).

The facts of the story are still very interesting.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2822
Joined: 19 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:50 am

Twisted Sister wrote:Yep, I don't think anyone has a problem with Natural Selection or Adaptation... heck, we see it everywhere <bad pun>

Per your fish example, no NEW genetic information was created... only subtracted.

No need to make this an evolution thread... my point was that this scientist was not being very scientific with his comments. He automatically discredits himself in terms of his opinions (science that is).

The facts of the story are still very interesting.


Absolutely. Whatever your belief regarding Natural Selection, Adaptation and/or Creation, this is a very interesting story. ;-D
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:54 am

The Balanced Man wrote:A Pic for yall


Image



That is an awesome looking creature!
Image

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11757
Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Motor City

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 15:18 hours
(and 35 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact