Shaun King Signs With Colts - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Indianapolis Colts

Shaun King Signs With Colts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Shaun King Signs With Colts

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:55 pm

Nice to see King re-united with Tony Dungy. Too bad he's still unlikely to make the team.

Colts sign free agent QB King

NFL.com wire reports

INDIANAPOLIS (June 2, 2006) -- Quarterback Shaun King, a starter at Tampa Bay when Tony Dungy was the coach there, signed a contract with the Indianapolis Colts.

King, who did not play in the NFL last season, joined the Detroit Lions in March and was released on Wednesday. He will try to make the Colts as Peyton Manning's backup.

"We just think Shaun will add to our quarterback situation," said Dungy, now the Colts' coach. "He's an experienced guy who has played in a lot of big games and won. I think he's going to be a good fit for our system and what we do."

King, a second-round draft choice by Tampa Bay in 1999, has started 24 of 34 career games and has passed for 4,566 yards and 27 touchdowns.

"Both years he started for us (in Tampa Bay), we went to the playoffs and he was a big reason why," Dungy said.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thatonepoorkid » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:18 am

not really going to make an impact at all i cant remember when manning was injured, and its manning he wont be loseing his starting job for a long time. so i think the only time he is going to get to play is the last two games of the season after the colts have gotten there play-off spot.
thatonepoorkid
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:32 pm

Actually, I doubt King even makes the squad. With Manning's durability and Sorgi's validity as a backup, King's not exactly a need. But, Dungy used to love him as a Buc, so it's at least an outside shot to make the team as a 3rd stringer.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:59 pm

I had no idea King was still on the roster!

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. -- It didn't take quarterback Shaun King long to decide to accept an offer by the Indianapolis Colts to back up two-time MVP Peyton Manning.

A career move that allows King to play for coach Tony Dungy again made the decision even easier.

As a rookie in 1999, the former Tulane signal caller helped guide Dungy's Tampa Bay Buccaneers to the NFC Championship game, which they lost to the St. Louis Rams. Now, seven years and three teams later, the two are together again.

"I feel good. I'm excited," King said during a recent break this week in the Colts' training camp routine. "I'm learning new things, learning from what I think is the best quarterback in the NFL, and I'm excited about it."

A year ago, playing in the NFL, much less for a team many consider a favorite to wind up in the Super Bowl, seemed like a dream to the St. Petersburg, Fla., native.

King was out of the NFL in 2005, but then signed a free agent contract with the Detroit Lions in the spring. His stay in the Motor City was brief, as the Lions released him May 31. Two days later, he found out that he was headed to Indianapolis for a reunion with Dungy.

"It's been quite a last few months," King said. "But I just feel blessed to have an opportunity to even compete for a spot. Last year was tough, sitting at home in Tampa and watching everybody else play."

He relishing his opportunity with a team considered one of the NFL's best.

"Have a chance to play for one of the best coaches in the league and play with some of the league's best offensive players. What could be better than that?"

His role with the Colts is to be that veteran backup who could step in to play should anything happen to either Manning or No. 2 quarterback Jim Sorgi. But with concerns over Sorgi's recent soreness in his throwing shoulder, King could find himself a more integral part of the team's plans.

Trying to learn the Colts' intricate and sometimes freewheeling offensive system in a short time hasn't been easy.

"I've only been here a couple of months and Peyton's been running this offense for nine years," King said. "I'm doing all that I can to learn this offense. Luckily, it's somewhat like what I was trying to learn in Detroit."

The biggest difference is that Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz doesn't allow for deviation in the play call as Manning is permitted.

Manning and his receivers Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Brandon Stokley have been working together so long, they just line up and see what the defenses are doing and then run the play, he said.

"That's tough to learn in the few weeks that I've been here," King said.

Dungy understands that it's going to take some time for King to get settled into a new offensive system. But he says King's experience in big games could end up helping the Colts at some point this season.

"Shaun's a good player and a winner," he said.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Indys_time » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:04 pm

Lets hope he never has to see the field unless the colts are up 42-0 and Jim Sorgi has already played a quarter. He used to be good and is still ok, but Peyton is a great QB and Sorgi is a decent backup.
Thanks to Joelamosobadiah for another great sig
Indys_time
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Indianapolis Colts