I thought this was a VERY interesting stat - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I thought this was a VERY interesting stat

Moderator: Football Moderators

I thought this was a VERY interesting stat

Postby bagobonez » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:04 pm

Doesn't pertain to fantasy much but...

Cowboys CB Terence Newman didn't get beat for a single touchdown last season. And if I'm not mistaken, he allowed less than 400 yards to receivers he covered as well.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jimboozie » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:09 pm

That is interesting. Those numbers are misleading in some sort of way. I like him and think he's a good corner but he isn't quite Deion Sanders.

Too bad I can't remove the image of him patheticly trying to arm-tackle Chris Cooley back in December. :-o :,-(
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: I thought this was a VERY interesting stat

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:25 pm

bagobonez wrote:Doesn't pertain to fantasy much but...

Cowboys CB Terence Newman didn't get beat for a single touchdown last season. And if I'm not mistaken, he allowed less than 400 yards to receivers he covered as well.

Actually, I think it was one TD ... I've heard this stat from numerous sources (NFL Live, other forums, Dallascowboys.com, etc.).

Nevertheless, Newman was definitely the most underrated player of any position last year. He has an outstanding year, but unfortunately, few INTs = no Pro Bowl for DBs. But he definitely had a Pro Bowl caliber year.

I don't know if Newman will ever have the INT numbers to make him a household name, but believe me when I say he could start for any team in the league.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby WickedSmaat » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:07 am

You shouldn't give up much covering #3 recievers ;-7
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby bigE141 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:30 am

Doesn't look like a #3 receiver to me. ;-D

He really is one of the most underrated players in the league. The fact that he was barely seen during the games shows how good of a cover corner he is.

He did take his lumps during his second year, but this last year he should have made the Pro Bowl!
Thanks for the sig, madaslives911!
bigE141
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ShoelessJoe » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:34 am

I love Newman but the NFC CB position is pretty solid and I don't think he should have been on the Pro Bowl Roster. You're talking about Ronde Barber, Nathan Vasher, and DeAngelo Hall. I'd have a tough time saying Newman had a better year than any of those guys.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:37 am

thats good to know, have to keep that in mind when my recievers are playing the cowboys

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby My team is injured » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:02 am

ShoelessJoe wrote:I love Newman but the NFC CB position is pretty solid and I don't think he should have been on the Pro Bowl Roster. You're talking about Ronde Barber, Nathan Vasher, and DeAngelo Hall. I'd have a tough time saying Newman had a better year than any of those guys.

hall didn't deserve to make the pro bowl last year... ken lucas, newman, and sheldon brown all deserved it over him...
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:14 am

ShoelessJoe wrote:I love Newman but the NFC CB position is pretty solid and I don't think he should have been on the Pro Bowl Roster. You're talking about Ronde Barber, Nathan Vasher, and DeAngelo Hall. I'd have a tough time saying Newman had a better year than any of those guys.

Vasher is great (see my AV), and makes fantastic plays on the ball, but I'm not sure he is better than Newman. That says alot when you give up no, or maybe one TD all year. Nate can get beat, but he will also give you the big play. Big plays get more notice, but I would pefer solid play every down myself.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby moonhead » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:24 pm

isn't ronde barber a nickel back? :-?
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye