I thought this was a VERY interesting stat - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I thought this was a VERY interesting stat

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:34 am

Here is what I'm picking up from this thread:

Original "facts":
- Newman didn't get beat for a TD and only gave up 400 yards all season.
- Newman covered the #1 WRs like Owens, S. Moss, Fitz, etc.

Real facts:
- WRs that Newman "covered" scored many TDs (like S. Moss) and posted WAY more than 400 yards

Excuse:
- If he got beat, it must've been a zone. Not his fault then.

BH Analysis: Worthless thread. If you are only going to count times he didn't play in a zone and only played 1on1 with the WR, you'll seriously cut down the sample size. I don't see the point.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby terpfan » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:52 pm

bagobonez wrote:It's even more impressive looking at the receivers he had to cover.

Santana Moss (twice)
Randy Moss
Terrell Owens
Plaxico Burress (twice)
Larry Fitzgerald
Roy Williams
Torry Holt

So he was covering Santana when he burned Dallas for those two TDs?

Either he wasnt covering Moss, or he gave up TDs. Cant have it both ways. Obviously he wasnt shutting Moss down. But he sure did a good job against David Patten! ;-7
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:11 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:Here is what I'm picking up from this thread:

Original "facts":

Real facts:
- WRs that Newman "covered" scored many TDs (like S. Moss) and posted WAY more than 400 yards

Excuse:

BH Analysis: Worthless thread. If you are only going to count times he didn't play in a zone and only played 1on1 with the WR, you'll seriously cut down the sample size. I don't see the point.

Newman switches from the slot to the outside ... given WR sets. On 2 WR sets, Newman covers the 1WR. On 3 WR+ sets, Aaron Glenn covers the outside WR, and Newman covers the slot.

I don't have game footage of every game, but I know for a fact that the two Santana Moss TDs were a result of poor zone coverage of AARON GLENN and ROY WILLIAMS. Not Terence Newman.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bagobonez » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:27 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:Here is what I'm picking up from this thread:

Original "facts":

Real facts:

Excuse:

I don't know how they came up with the stat. That's just what I read. It could be that they ARE including times when it was a zone, or at least times when he had safety help.

Bottom line is, no WR on any play that Newman was responsible for scored a TD.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigE141 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:09 pm

Sorry to bring up this old thread again, but I just thought that I would update it with his training camp play.

All reports have been praising TNew for a stellar camp so far.

Who's Hot:
Teams didn't throw in the direction of Terence Newman too often in games last year. And it's starting to take place out here in practice, too. Whether he's facing Terrell Owens or Terry Glenn, Newman has carried over his stellar play from last year into this training camp. Newman broke up three straight passes in a 7-on-7 drill, including one while covering Owens with no help.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=D593029E-E72D-E2C8-710321C3CCAC39AD
Thanks for the sig, madaslives911!
bigE141
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby SniperShot » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:16 pm

AH any thead that talks about S.Moss' two TD's last season is worthy to be brought back time and time again!
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby terpfan » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:25 pm

SniperShot wrote:AH any thead that talks about S.Moss' two TD's last season is worthy to be brought back time and time again!

I'm still waiting for bagobonez to respond to my last post in this thread. ;-7 O:-)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby FF Newbie » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:32 pm

terpfan wrote:
SniperShot wrote:AH any thead that talks about S.Moss' two TD's last season is worthy to be brought back time and time again!

I'm still waiting for bagobonez to respond to my last post in this thread. ;-7 O:-)

The question you asked isn't anything that hasn't been adequately covered in this thread.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby terpfan » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:02 am

FF Newbie wrote:
terpfan wrote:

The question you asked isn't anything that hasn't been adequately covered in this thread.

Did you read the post of his I quoted?
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby bagobonez » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:46 am

terpfan wrote:
bagobonez wrote:It's even more impressive looking at the receivers he had to cover.

Santana Moss (twice)
Randy Moss
Terrell Owens
Plaxico Burress (twice)
Larry Fitzgerald
Roy Williams
Torry Holt

So he was covering Santana when he burned Dallas for those two TDs?

Either he wasnt covering Moss, or he gave up TDs. Cant have it both ways. Obviously he wasnt shutting Moss down. But he sure did a good job against David Patten! ;-7

It depends on the package. Generally Newman lined up against teams' best WR's (especially when Henry was hurt) so for most of that game, Newman covered Moss. However, when offenses go to 3 or 4 WR sets, Newman will cover the slot and someone else will cover the #1 WR. THat's what happened on this play when Glenn got beat by Moss.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk