Read any good books lately? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Read any good books lately?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby VHawk15 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:01 pm

bagobonez wrote:
VHawk15 wrote:I picked up Maddox's book The Alphabet of Manliness today at lunch. I only recommend it because I believe you are manly enough to open it. ;-D

Is it funny? I've been thinking about getting it. His website is fantastic.

I'm only to letter F in the alphabet, but it's excellent.
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Atog » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:03 pm

If you want to read a book that is unbearably confusing, but will get you major, major props from literary types for reading, read The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon or White Noise by Don DeLillo ;-D
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby moonhead » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:27 pm

Atog wrote:If you want to read a book that is unbearably confusing, but will get you major, major props from literary types for reading, read The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon or White Noise by Don DeLillo ;-D

i couldn't make it through the crying of lot 49. :-/
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Crimedogg32 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:37 pm

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Was writen execently and has a good theme and compelling to the end. Tells a tale of modern Afganistian which may not seem that interesting but I found it really was
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Atog » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:12 pm

moonhead wrote:
Atog wrote:If you want to read a book that is unbearably confusing, but will get you major, major props from literary types for reading, read The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon or White Noise by Don DeLillo ;-D

i couldn't make it through the crying of lot 49. :-/

and that is why no-one will remember your name :P
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby confused_jake » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:25 am

By looking at your av, im assuming your a packers fan. You should check out When Pride Still Mattered by David Maraniss. It's a biography of Vince Lombardi and is a great read.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:58 am

I recently read W.E.B. Griffin's The Corps series (had already read the rest of his stuff) and I thoroughly enjoyed it... Follows a few key Marines from WWII through to the Korean War, and it's a nice flowing story, easy to read... His Brotherhood of War series was also excellent...

Currently I'm working my way through Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, and I'm a bit undecided (400 pages into it :-o ) as to whether or not I really like it. His writing style strikes me as exceedingly verbose at times, and I find the editing job was terrible with regards to grammar and sentence structure in a lot of places, but the story itself is pretty good. Also, I don't think I would be able to follow it so well (see above reference to verbosity) if I hadn't read the Griffin stuff because a large part of the book is WWII related and many of the things he writes about he only skims the surface of and without the deeper background of the Griffin books I would probably end up either lost or disinterested...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Santacruzer » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:34 am

Go out right now and get
The Ballad of the Whiskey Robber by Julian Rubinstein
An unbelievable TRUE story of a Hungarian Bank robber, who is also a Professional Hockey player, a pelt smuggler, and Alcoholic. You asked for a book you won't put down? This is it!!

Also recommends:
America's Game - A great read on the history of Pro Football, and how it became America's #1 sport

Freakonomics - You've probably heard about it, and it is worth all the hype.

Guns, Germs, and Steel - a great book (won the Pulitzer prize). Thick and chewy though, but packed full of a ton of information. You will walk away smarter after this one!

The Tipping Point
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby footballchick23 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:32 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Flags Of Our Fathers by James Bradley

I was just going to pick this one up at the library today! It sounds like it's an amazing book.

Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell is pretty interesting...definitely a good summer read. She's a liberal, so you have to put up with some political commentary, but she talks about each of the presidential assassinations as she visits different graveyards and landmarks associated with them. The funny thing is, she has all the quirky stories and coincidences that go along with each murder. The writing is witty and she mixes in a bunch of pop culture references, so it's a fast and interesting read.
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby VHawk15 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:47 pm

Crimedogg32 wrote:The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Was writen execently and has a good theme and compelling to the end. Tells a tale of modern Afganistian which may not seem that interesting but I found it really was

I've also read this, and I would recommend it, as well.
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk