How Many Playoff Teams Should There Be? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How Many Playoff Teams Should There Be?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby onnestabe » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:58 am

terpfan wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:I like to do 6 with a bye week. Keeps playoff dreams alive until the very last week for that 6th spot.

I agree, and it gives more of reward for doing really well in the regular season.

This is what all my leagues do as well.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: How Many Playoff Teams Should There Be?

Postby SAFFcommish » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:39 pm

In my 12 team league we do 7, 3 4 team divisons. Division winners are #1-3 seeds with next 4 spots the next available team. #1 seed 1st round BYE while #2 seed gets to pick his or HER first round opponent. Rest of the 1st round is seeded accordingly. Re-seed 2nd round, 3rd round of course is the Chip with a 3rd place game as well
SAFFcommish
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re:

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:56 pm

disgruntledjetsfan wrote:4 should be the amount. Unless it is a 14 teamer, in which case I say 6 should be right. I don't like it when half the teams make the playoffs, that's the problem with the nba and nhl.

Better than baseball where you get stacked divisions and people with great records not making the playoffs.

I have always liked 6 with the top two getting byes.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby petedog9 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:40 am

Ours is a little different then previously posted so I will throw out ours. This is a long time, live draft, with good freinds, 10- team league. We are going on our 12th year....

We actually have 3 trophies....Hear me out...

We have the League trophy which is the biggest. This is for the best record in the league based on record, then H2H , etc.

SuperBowl trophy..It actually looks like the Lombardi.. It's sweet.. Top 8 in the league all get into the dance and go in a normal seeded format.

Bottom 2 go into the "$hit Bowl".. This trophy is a pink toilet seat with names engraved on it over the years. The loser of this (best of 3) series gets it. They also get their team name chosen by the Superbowl Champ. Their last punishment is that they are the "board bitch" for the following year.

We have found that keeping all teams (regardless of record) involved is definately benefical for the league. We dont want guys giving up on their teams and this way everyone has something to fight for. I will also add that this is not a BIG money league. There is a little money involved as league fees pay for two rooms in Reno at the end of the year party. We all try and meet up there for a weekend with the wives to watch playoff football. The winner of the league and the SuperBowl winner each get their room paid for by the league. and bragging rights...
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby spodog » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:10 pm

6 is too many. That's half the league, so by definition, mediocre teams and at times, sub .500 teams make the playoffs. Too many.

The NFL qualifies 37.5% of their teams for the NFL Playoffs, and use 4 rounds of games to sort them out. Why would you want 50% of your teams in the playoffs?

4 is the right number for a 12 team league.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Team Gooch » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:41 am

spodog wrote:6 is too many. That's half the league, so by definition, mediocre teams and at times, sub .500 teams make the playoffs. Too many.

The NFL qualifies 37.5% of their teams for the NFL Playoffs, and use 4 rounds of games to sort them out. Why would you want 50% of your teams in the playoffs?

4 is the right number for a 12 team league.

I agree. 4 is the right number in 10 & 12 team leagues. We do 6 teams in one of my leagues and twice it has happened where our league champion has had a losing record (6-7) during the regular season. We have a trophy that is engraved with the team name and season record and it just doesnt look right with a losing record on it.
Team Gooch
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)

Re:

Postby latraffic » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:23 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I like to do 6 with a bye week. Keeps playoff dreams alive until the very last week for that 6th spot.

Yep, same in my league of 12.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:37 am

I like 6 best. It keeps teams interested, and I like rewarding the top 2 teams with a first round bye.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Football Talk