The UFC - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

The UFC

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby josebach » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:04 pm

bagobonez wrote:my favorite guy is Ken Shamrock. I think it's just because I can't stand Tito Ortiz, and he's Shamrock's biggest rival. I want SHamrock to beat Ortiz so bad I can't see straight.

My LEAST favorite guy is Ken Shamrock. I used to hate Tito Ortiz also until this season of TUF. He's really impressed me and Shamrock comes across like a complete and total moron. I really think that Tito is a pretty good guy and that the antics he pulls and smack he talks are part of his plan. Most guys don't fight as smart when they're angry and I think that's Tito's goal.

I hope Tito beats the crap out of Shamrock. :-)
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The_Dude » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:40 pm

josebach wrote:
bagobonez wrote:my favorite guy is Ken Shamrock. I think it's just because I can't stand Tito Ortiz, and he's Shamrock's biggest rival. I want SHamrock to beat Ortiz so bad I can't see straight.

My LEAST favorite guy is Ken Shamrock. I used to hate Tito Ortiz also until this season of TUF. He's really impressed me and Shamrock comes across like a complete and total moron. I really think that Tito is a pretty good guy and that the antics he pulls and smack he talks are part of his plan. Most guys don't fight as smart when they're angry and I think that's Tito's goal.

I feel the exact same way. I came into the show with strong priors that I preferred Ken to Tito. But after watching the show, I've done a complete turnaround. First off, Tito seems like a better coach and all around just a better guy. Shamrock sort of seems washed up and disinterested. In the first fight between the two of them, Tito beat Ken mercilessly - I don't see this second fight going any differently. The Gracie/Shamrock era is over (unless of course hell freezes over and Frank makes a return to the UFC because he looked in amazing fight shape against Cesar Gracie).

And lmcjaho, I do remember that fight (don't remember who was in it), but I'm trying to forget. I like the rules that the sport has incorporated in evolving from brutal cage-fighting to a true athletic sport.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby catch22 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:59 pm

josebach wrote:

I agree.....I have watched all 3 seasons of the TUF and Tito seems to connect with his guys better than Shamrock, and he knows exactly how to push his buttons. Its frickin hillarious.

UFC 60 was kinda disapointing. Looking foward to UFC 61.....Tito vs Shamrock 2 and Arlowski vs Sylvia 3......should be kick A$$.
"If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and can't tell who the sucker is.......... it's you."

How 'bout them Cowboys!!!!
catch22
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:56 am

The_Dude wrote:And lmcjaho, I do remember that fight (don't remember who was in it), but I'm trying to forget. I like the rules that the sport has incorporated in evolving from brutal cage-fighting to a true athletic sport.

Gotta agree NOW, but had you said this to me back when they first started the changes I would have disagreed strongly... I liked the original style (elimination tournament) of the UFC better that these one-fight deals but I do like the way the new rules have brought striking back into the game...

UFC Trivia time - name 2 mainstream movies that early UFC legend The Russian Bear had a medium-to-major role in...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby The_Dude » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:20 am

No clue about the movies...

Thoughts about last night's TUF? Unbelievable about what happened in the LHW division. This season of fighters is proving to be pretty weak. I think the eventual winners (probably Ed Herman and Michael Bisbing) will be solid, but a lot of the other guys have really ruined their careers on this show. I'd also like to see what Matt can do fighting healthy. His win over the other Mike was so freakin' sloppy, but this week we learn he was fighting with a messed up arm.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby onnestabe » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:32 am

The_Dude wrote:No clue about the movies...

Thoughts about last night's TUF? Unbelievable about what happened in the LHW division. This season of fighters is proving to be pretty weak. I think the eventual winners (probably Ed Herman and Michael Bisbing) will be solid, but a lot of the other guys have really ruined their careers on this show. I'd also like to see what Matt can do fighting healthy. His win over the other Mike was so freakin' sloppy, but this week we learn he was fighting with a messed up arm.

Yeah, last night's fight was kinda crappy. It just seemed like the short guy would get the other guy on the ground, then not really do anything. That may just be a result of me not konwing what it going on, but it was my take. It was obivous they both have a long way to go before they can really compete with the big names out there.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby The_Dude » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:45 pm

onnestabe wrote:
The_Dude wrote:No clue about the movies...

Yeah, last night's fight was kinda crappy. It just seemed like the short guy would get the other guy on the ground, then not really do anything. That may just be a result of me not konwing what it going on, but it was my take. It was obivous they both have a long way to go before they can really compete with the big names out there.

Short guy (Kalib) was obviously the better fighter, but he got hurt, gassed, and quit out there. He landed better shots on the feet, a couple of brutal elbows, had one bruising takedown and basically was owning the fight. He gassed though, which he is right to blame on Shamrock, although I think Shamrock is right that he "quit" out there (seeing Rich Franklin beat the Crow with a messed up ankle and broken wrist over 5 rounds gives you some perspective on fighting hurt). Tito is conditioning his guys much better than Ken, and there's no excuse for it.

It was actually a pretty good fight until the end of the 2nd round, but I don't think that Kendall stands a chance against a seasoned, well conditioned, and brutal GNPer like Ed Herman. But, Ed has to get by Rory first, who is well matched against Ed, because he can submit Ed from the guard - not likely to happen, but I won't be *shocked* if it does. Best semifinal fight should be next week's matchup.

The heavyweight final should be Josh against Mike B. (although who knows, we could be in for a shocker), which will be a fun finale to watch, as both guys will stand and bang hopefully - which means it will likely end with Josh KO'ed.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby bagobonez » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:41 pm

I missed the early part of last night's TUF because I was at work. What happened with Matt?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby lmcjaho » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:13 am

Oleg Taktarov (sp?) was one of the two dudes doing the killing spree on camera in 15 Minutes, and he was the partner that gets chopped up in the kitchen in Bad Boys II. He was also in a couple of others but his parts were really small but I (and I have to proudly say, my wife too) recognized him from his swollen face from all the headbutts he got/delivered in the guard in early UFC matches ;-)
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:03 pm

as a former high school and college wrestling I love UFC. Matt Hughes is easily my favorite fighter. I like chuck liddell too. Hughes is cool to watch because he is just so flat mean and tough. My kind of wrestling
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk