Pest problem - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Pest problem

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pest problem

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:41 pm

Does anybody know of an effective way to keep bees (wasps/hornets) away from your house?

We have a bad problem and have spent hundreds of dollars :-[ :-# on a company coming out 1,2 even 3 times a year to spray our house. It seems to work for a while, but I was wondering if there were any traps/sprays/scents that are effective in keeping them away.

The only thing that we have found so far, but it doesn't last the entire summer is putting bird feeders around the house. The bees tend to stay away when the birds are around :-°
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby citybirds27 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:48 pm

Well when we found bees near our house a lot, we noticed where their bee hive was, (under our deck) and we just knocked it down with a stick and sprayed it with something from Lowe's. Also there was also a time where they had their own hole in the ground and we sprayed it in their.
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:49 pm

Fire. If you find the hive, seal it with spray glue, knock it down and burn it. Then put it on a stick to warn others that this is hostile territory.

When I saw the title, I thought this thread was about me.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:03 pm

Sixxgunn wrote: When I saw the title, I thought this thread was about me.

I wouldn't do that to you ;-D

BTW does anyone know how to get rid of Sixxgunn ;-7 :-b
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby Alkaholik » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:19 pm

put 3 of these around your house and they will be full in a week, thats like 1,000 bees

worked awesome for anyone here in the northwest, cant see why it wouldnt work anywhere else.

Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:03 pm

dream_017 wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote: When I saw the title, I thought this thread was about me.

I wouldn't do that to you ;-D

BTW does anyone know how to get rid of Sixxgunn ;-7 :-b

No one is that good at pest removal! ;-) :-b

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby catch22 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:01 pm

Move.............Call the guy from Dirty Jobs on Discovery. I saw an episode where they removed an enormous hive that was inside the wall of the house.
"If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and can't tell who the sucker is.......... it's you."

How 'bout them Cowboys!!!!
catch22
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mysticphysh » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:08 pm

I dont know about bees, but if your problem is wasps, most the stuff you buy at walmart works just fine.

I dont know if its just me, but last year by this time, I'd found 5-6 new nests in various spots around the house (usually behind boards in the fence). A couple blasts from your every day wasp killer leaves them writhing until death. One thing people usually do, is knock the nest down once they're dead. I left them up and I haven't had a problem with them yet!

I dont know, but maybe whoever it was a couple posts up was onto something when he jokingly said to put the burnt out nest on a stick. Maybe the reason I haven't had a problem this year is because most of those nests are still there and they serve as a warning... who knows... :-?
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:40 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:Fire. If you find the hive, seal it with spray glue, knock it down and burn it. Then put it on a stick to warn others that this is hostile territory.

When I saw the title, I thought this thread was about me.

Don't know if you're being serious about that, but it is a cool way to get rid of bees. ;-D My friend's brother once sprayed a humongous hive with two cans of wasp spray, then lit it on fire. It was fun to watch. :-b
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby houstonherdfan » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:26 am

don't know if it works on bees, but if you want to get rid of other flying animals fill some plastic bags with water and hang them around your house, yard, and/or property. They will fly up to them see a magnified version of themselves and go away scared of the big thing.

This works. I worked at a restaurant where we had an outdoor eating area and thats what we did to keep the flying insects like mosquetos and knats away.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to General Talk