Why is it... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Why is it...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why is it...

Postby The_Dude » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:44 pm

...that sometimes you have to be a total a-hole to get someone to do their job? I absolutely hate doing it, but today, it had been two weeks since this woman at the University was supposed to do something for me - I've sent her three very pleasant reminders signed "sincerely" and whatnot. Today, she sends me an e-mail that "I'm still investigating the issue" which is code for, "I still haven't done anything about it." So, I sent her a rather forceful e-mail back (that was still professional) and CC'ed her boss... and Bingo, the thing is done.

Now I feel like an ass, but I'm not confident anything would have happened if I didn't take the initiative.

Thank you for allowing me to vent... that was very un-Dude of me...

Dude

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:46 pm

sometimes you have to yell. it makes you feel like an ass because then they get all defensive because you got angry at them, probably because they were happy with not doing anything, but the fact is that if you hadnt done something, it never wouldve gotten done. good job ;-D
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:56 pm

That's just the life we live in nowadays
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:56 pm

When i worked i was in charge of a team of 30. 6 different crews of 5 people. Let me say this. I had to constantly be an Ahole to get people to do their job. When i first started i had the idea of being nice and the guys would respect you for being good to them. All that did was allowed guys to slack off. I always complemented my guys when they got a job done early or on time. I was stern with what i wanted done and when i needed it done. Im a very easy going guy by nature so when i first started being stern it was a stretch for me, but it was nescessary so i didnt get my arse chewed every day. When i left there i was the leading crew leader on job effiecency and production. So its not Un dude like of you, it is a what you have to do to get people to actually do what they get paid for.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:06 pm

Just remember, making friends at work is nice, but it's certainly not your main reason for being there. Every now and then, you have to light a fire under someone's ass regardless as to whether or not it makes them dislike you. If my main concern was being liked at work, I wouldn't be anywhere near as productive as I am. When it comes to work, it's better to be respected than liked. If you can mangage to do both, great, but it's not always possible.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:47 pm

I've been cussed at, yelled at, threatened, sued, and been called the Antichrist on two separate occasions. !+)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:57 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I've been cussed at, yelled at, threatened, sued, and been called the Antichrist on two separate occasions. !+)

sounds like you lead quite a life 8-o
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:00 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I've been cussed at, yelled at, threatened, sued, and been called the Antichrist on two separate occasions. !+)

and that was all before he left the house ;-) :-b

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby catch22 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:54 pm

What a prick................lol just kidding. I have about 10 guys that work for me and I dont like getting on them for things. I know how you feel.
"If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and can't tell who the sucker is.......... it's you."

How 'bout them Cowboys!!!!
catch22
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:30 pm

Are you "Pig Vomit" from WNBC??? :-b (if you didn't know that was Howard Stern's boss when he was starting out).

Yeah, I like to sluff at work too...the boss doesn't care as long as I get what I need to do done each night. If my boss tells me they have to have something done, it gets done immediately. I have no problem with that since I'm supposed to be there for work. If the person you "yelled" at doesn't like that, too bad...it's work! :-/
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk