BOTB: Green Day vs. Pearl Jam--Pearl Jam Wins! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

BOTB: Green Day vs. Pearl Jam--Pearl Jam Wins!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Opening Round Match Up

Poll ended at Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:37 pm

Green Day
46%
Pearl Jam
54%

Total votes : 41

BOTB: Green Day vs. Pearl Jam--Pearl Jam Wins!

Postby VaderFin » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:37 pm

Opening Round Match Up featuring #27 seed Green Day vs. #38 seed Pearl Jam. Let the crying about the seeding here start now. Voting ends in 1 Day.

Green Day

Green Day is a band from California, consisting of Billie Joe Armstrong (lead vocals, guitar), Mike Dirnt (bass, backing vocals), and Tré Cool (drums, percussion, backing vocals). Since the recording of their sixth album, Warning:, the band has included close friend and associate Jason White for additional guitar work in recording and back-up guitar for live shows, he also appeared in the "When I Come Around" video.. Green Day is credited, along with The Offspring and Rancid, with popularizing and reviving mainstream interest in punk rock in the United States during the mid 1990s. Their success has influenced other prominent pop punk bands like Sum 41, Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, and blink-182. According to RIAA, Green Day has sold about 60 million records worldwide including more than 21 million in the U.S. alone.

Pearl Jam

Pearl Jam are a rock band considered one of the most popular and influential artists of the 1990s. Their name is intimately tied to the grunge movement of the early 1990s, and they are considered one of the Big Four of grunge music, alongside Alice in Chains, Nirvana, and Soundgarden. Each of the band's eight studio albums has reached the top five (US), with "Vs.," "Vitalogy," and "No Code" reaching number one, while "Ten," "Yeild," "Binaural," and their self-titled "Pearl Jam" albums all reached number two. The band won a Grammy in 1996 for the single "Spin the Black Circle."
Last edited by VaderFin on Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:41 pm

wow, a toughie. both of them are good, but im gonna give it to green day.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Popcynical » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:42 pm

I like and listen to Pearl Jam a lot more. They got my vote.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:46 pm

This isn't even close IMHO.

I liked Green Day.....when I was 12. Their songs are catchy but get dull real fast and lack substance.

On the other hand, Pearl Jam has withstood the test of time. I can throw in any of their older cds and they are just as good now as they always were. And oh yeah, Eddie Veder can actually sing.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:49 pm

I don't really like either, but I think Pearl Jam is more credible so I voted for them.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:51 pm

Jimboozie wrote:This isn't even close IMHO.

I liked Green Day.....when I was 12. Their songs are catchy but get dull real fast and lack substance.

On the other hand, Pearl Jam has withstood the test of time. I can throw in any of their older cds and they are just as good now as they always were. And oh yeah, Eddie Veder can actually sing.

I like both bands too, but how can you say Green Day "hasn't withstood the test of time?"

Every CD of theirs, while maybe not as catchy as their older ones (and in my opinion, not as good), but it's easy to see that they've gotten better instrumentally with each CD.

Not to mention, if Green Day had petered out, my guess is "American Idiot" probably wouldn't have sold 20,000,000+ copies. And in the age of downloading, that's insane.

Again ... I like Pearl Jam, but how to you vote against Green Day? Answer: you don't.

That being said, PJ is going to win. Not a big punk following on this site.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby VaderFin » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:51 pm

I can't stand either. But I definitely dislike Green Day more. This will be my one and only vote for Pearl Jam.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:56 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:

I like both bands too, but how can you say Green Day "hasn't withstood the test of time?"

Every CD of theirs, while maybe not as catchy as their older ones (and in my opinion, not as good), but it's easy to see that they've gotten better instrumentally with each CD.

Not to mention, if Green Day had petered out, my guess is "American Idiot" probably wouldn't have sold 20,000,000+ copies. And in the age of downloading, that's insane.

Again ... I like Pearl Jam, but how to you vote against Green Day? Answer: you don't.

I knew my comments would catch some heat.

Just because the general public digs it doesn't mean its good.

How many Green Day cds would you honestly say are quality from beginning to end?? I'd say Dookie and thats it.

PUNK = CRAP to me if you couldn't tell.
:-b
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:00 pm

Jimboozie wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:

I knew my comments would catch some heat.

Just because the general public digs it doesn't mean its good.

How many Green Day cds would you honestly say are quality from beginning to end?? I'd say Dookie and thats it.

PUNK = CRAP to me if you couldn't tell.
:-b

no worries ... Green Day is a band where you hate them or love them.

Which CDs were quality the whole way through?

Dookie
Nimrod
Waiting
Shenanigans (most underrated CD by far).

CDs with plenty of good tracks, but not quality the whole way through

Kerplunk
American Idiot
Insomniac

... and I haven't listened to 1039 enough to say how the quality is all through. Still a few good songs though.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby terpfan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:01 pm

Old Green Day = B-)
New Green Day = :-P

So this is tough... I like pearl jame also. I'll vote for Green Day because they are higher seeded and will probably still need the help.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk