BOTB: Green Day vs. Pearl Jam--Pearl Jam Wins! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

BOTB: Green Day vs. Pearl Jam--Pearl Jam Wins!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Opening Round Match Up

Poll ended at Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:37 pm

Green Day
46%
Pearl Jam
54%

Total votes : 41

Postby mysticphysh » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:44 am

Man, I can't believe PJ is gonna take this one! BOOOO! :-t

:-b
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The_Dude » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:02 am

mysticphysh wrote:Man, I can't believe PJ is gonna take this one! BOOOO! :-t

:-b

Sounds like its time for some fantasy football members - Duder, His Dudeness and El Duderino need to get in here and vote for GD - I'll give them a call!

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:10 am

I gotta go with Green Day because I've never been a big fan of Pearl Jam, whereas I like a lot of Green day's music.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby slowride » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:37 pm

I never could be a fan on Pearl Jam. Sure they had a few good songs that I don't mind hearing on the radio from time to time, but in general they just sound dull and boring to me. I'm not to big on artists who record their politics in their songs either so Green Day it is.
slowride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moonhead » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:40 pm

slowride wrote:I never could be a fan on Pearl Jam. Sure they had a few good songs that I don't mind hearing on the radio from time to time, but in general they just sound dull and boring to me. I'm not to big on artists who record their politics in their songs either so Green Day it is.

lol. american idiot? punk not political? :-?
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby VHawk15 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:43 pm

slowride wrote:I never could be a fan on Pearl Jam. Sure they had a few good songs that I don't mind hearing on the radio from time to time, but in general they just sound dull and boring to me. I'm not to big on artists who record their politics in their songs either so Green Day it is.

Are you kidding? Green Day's entire last album was like one political soundtrack.
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:44 pm

VHawk15 wrote:

Are you kidding? Green Day's entire last album was like one political soundtrack.

i was sorta thinking the same thing :-b

still like their music though
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby The_Dude » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:48 pm

VHawk15 wrote:

What do you mean?

;-7

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:02 pm

The_Dude wrote:I went with Green Day here.

Again, two bands that I really like, but I went with trajectories. While Pearl Jam's early stuff has withstood the test of time, their trajectory has not been toward producing better albums in my humble opinion.

I know its cool to hate American Idiot because its been over-radio-played, but I love the album and I love the concept of a Punk Rock Opera. Love it or hate it, that album elevated Green Day from a 90s grunge/punk johnny-come-lately to a band that actually has staying power.

Dookie may even be my 3rd or 4th favorite Green Day album. I think Nimrod is their best effort, followed by AI, and I really dug the B-sides album (Shenanigans) they released in the 200-something. Warning was a nice change of pace and showed range, and their early stuff is a bit raw, but great. Insomniac is the only one that's really hit and miss for me, but it has my favorite Green Day of all time on it (Brain Stew).

And when you listen to a Green Day greatest hits album, its clear that are more than 20 great songs.

Plus, they're good live - their 2001 Warped Tour set was the highlight of the entire show for me.

Definitely agree here El Duderino (not into the whole brevity thing).

I personally didn't get off on AI because of its political agenda, but the quality of their music was definitely higher in AI. And I loved Warning ... it got a lot of flak because it was very unorthodox, but it did show a wide range, as you said.

Shenanigans was 2002, by the way. Probably my 3rd-favorite album by then. Not so much for its quality of music ... but listening to the whole album through is just a jolly good time. ;-D

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby terpfan » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:27 pm

Nice... its getting closer, this is going to go down to the wire.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk