auction - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

auction

Moderator: Football Moderators

auction

Postby grover99 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:21 pm

I'm going into my 2nd year in an auction league. I would like to know if anybody has any % they go by. I'm thinking RB 45%,WR30%,QB,15%,TE 5%, K and DEF 5%. 1Qb,2RB,2WR,1TE,1 Flex (RB,WR,TE),1K,1DEF.
grover99
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterTrivia Time Trial ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Santacruzer » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:50 am

I'm not very experienced in Auctions, but I wouldn't use percentages as my main gauge.

I think that it varies by player, and demand.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dexter II » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:54 pm

I'm not aware of any broadly used guidelines for % of cap by position. However, I do think it is a good idea for each owner to enter an auction with a general salary cap allocation plan. This of course can change quite a bit as the auction progresses.

Usually I will review player values and tier players based on my expectations for the coming year and see who I can expect to get for certain prices. This helps me understand how much I'll need to spend by position for the type of team I'm building.

Cap allocation also will differ depending if you go with a studs and duds, balanced roster, RB heavy, etc strategies. As well as whether you want to have a top flight TE.

I think your distribution is pretty good as a starting point but would consider increasing RB to 50-55% given that you can start 3 RB's with the flex position. Maybe take 2% from K/D, and a bit from WR and QB. Again it depends a lot on what your strategy is but since you start 3 RB's I think the money would be well spent there.
Fatalism Helps with the Jump but not the Fall
Dexter II
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Web SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:14 pm

In my auctions, I earmark as much as is allowed for RBs. Theres so few elite backs anymore that if you really want to field the strongest team I would try to get 2 of them. If I can land an elite WR cheaply I'll do it, otherwise its all RB and the minimun everwhere else.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pmix » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:22 pm

1st - kickers and Def are always 1% or even $1 (minimum bid) on my auction projection. I never go more than $2.

I breakdown my percentages even further to each actual percentage all the way to the bench players (typical RB3 i spend 5-10% and RB4 I would only spend 1%). I typically spend close to 60% on RBs and back the qb and te percentages down. With your league having a flex I would spend even more probably on rb's.

30% on wide receivers in good, i would maybe go down to 25% just because you have a flex and can go after another rb.

Always spend early, don't get caught in the trap of overspending when there is not much left. In our draft i always look over the teams and can pick out a handful of players that went to high only because they came out late and nothing was left.
I'M A CERTIFIED 'SPECIAL MASTER'
pmix
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby biju » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:13 am

pmix wrote:Always spend early, don't get caught in the trap of overspending when there is not much left. In our draft i always look over the teams and can pick out a handful of players that went to high only because they came out late and nothing was left.

This is a little contrary to what I've read about auctions so I'm interested in an elaboration. Disclaimer: I haven't done an auction but am doing one this summer so I've been researching the idea only. Furthermore, my auction is a dynasty so my methods may differ due to this

What I've read is spending early leads to overpaying for players while smart owners wait for the overspending to happen so they can collect on the middle-tier players at a discount.

Furthermore, I've read that you should plan out *every single player* that will be drafted and assign a dollar value to them. Once finished you need to stack them up against like positions, grab your percentage of dollars allowed to this position and be happy with whoever you can land for that allocation.

In other words, if you're going to take 5 WR start by just taking Steve Smith and then fill it out so have 5 WR that take up your 30% of money. Then do it again but without the players taken already. Fill out 12 teams or however many is in your league. In the end you should be happy with whoever you get, otherwise the money is off.

Then stack them again but with all of the positions together. You don't necessarily need to do the "draft" again but just eyeball it to make sure nobody sticks out as too high.

Also all Ds and Ks should be $1 and each player should be a minimum of $1.

Oh yeah, and make sure you don't have an abundance of cash in the draft. If each team is allowed $100 (for simplicity's sake) and there are 10 teams there is $1,000 out there to spend. Don't make your full draft be $1,500 worth of players (otherwise you'll overspend), and certainly don't make them $800 (otherwise you'll think everyone is overspending and they aren't!)

With this plan you should shoot for underpaying slightly or matching your dollar value. Never overspend or your exercise you did with each position is thrown off immediately.

If anyone has more experience with auctions and doesn't agree with my research please let me know. This is the plan I've decided to use this upcoming draft and hope it isn't fatally flawed otherwise I'm going to have a tough 5 year lesson out of it.

:-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Auction Leagues

Postby scsi1 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:27 am

I am in 2 auction leagues.

I make an advance list of the players I want in the order I want them.

Then I assign a dollar value to each player.

I try to stay in the assigned price range and generally refuse to overpay.

I find that there is always tremendous value in the middle to end of the auction because some teams drastically overpay at the beginning of the auction.
scsi1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Dexter II » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:24 pm

pmix wrote:Always spend early, don't get caught in the trap of overspending when there is not much left. In our draft i always look over the teams and can pick out a handful of players that went to high only because they came out late and nothing was left.

There is a fine line between spending early and waiting too long, if you miss on either end you are likely to overpay.

Generally I find that you want to nominate players you don't have an interest in or you feel are over-valued early and let other owners spend on them.

I guess I'd say spend when it makes sense to based on your player rankings and auction strategy (studs and duds, balanced team, RB heavy, etc).
Fatalism Helps with the Jump but not the Fall
Dexter II
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Web SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pmix » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:36 pm

biju wrote:

This is a little contrary to what I've read about auctions so I'm interested in an elaboration. Disclaimer: I haven't done an auction but am doing one this summer so I've been researching the idea only. Furthermore, my auction is a dynasty so my methods may differ due to this

What I've read is spending early leads to overpaying for players while smart owners wait for the overspending to happen so they can collect on the middle-tier players at a discount.

Furthermore, I've read that you should plan out *every single player* that will be drafted and assign a dollar value to them. Once finished you need to stack them up against like positions, grab your percentage of dollars allowed to this position and be happy with whoever you can land for that allocation.

In other words, if you're going to take 5 WR start by just taking Steve Smith and then fill it out so have 5 WR that take up your 30% of money. Then do it again but without the players taken already. Fill out 12 teams or however many is in your league. In the end you should be happy with whoever you get, otherwise the money is off.

Then stack them again but with all of the positions together. You don't necessarily need to do the "draft" again but just eyeball it to make sure nobody sticks out as too high.

Also all Ds and Ks should be $1 and each player should be a minimum of $1.

Oh yeah, and make sure you don't have an abundance of cash in the draft. If each team is allowed $100 (for simplicity's sake) and there are 10 teams there is $1,000 out there to spend. Don't make your full draft be $1,500 worth of players (otherwise you'll overspend), and certainly don't make them $800 (otherwise you'll think everyone is overspending and they aren't!)

With this plan you should shoot for underpaying slightly or matching your dollar value. Never overspend or your exercise you did with each position is thrown off immediately.

If anyone has more experience with auctions and doesn't agree with my research please let me know. This is the plan I've decided to use this upcoming draft and hope it isn't fatally flawed otherwise I'm going to have a tough 5 year lesson out of it.

:-o

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/player_rankings.php

I have been waiting for an example to make my case.

This is exactly why you spend early. But I agree that it really depends on the people you are bidding against. I guarantee you in our league that is goin into its 4th year, 50% of three teams salary caps will be spent on LT2, Alexander and LJ.
I'M A CERTIFIED 'SPECIAL MASTER'
pmix
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby pangbones » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:44 pm

There is no set % you should be spending. I try to get 1 or 2 elite players, and then bargain shop for the rest. I never spend more than the minimum for Kickers and Defense. It pays to spend wisely early, cuz you will see a lot of bargains later in the auction, but you can get screwed by waiting too long and missing out on elite players. So who is worth how much, and when is it time to bid up a player? That depends on the league, and the owners in it, and that is what makes aucitoning so much fun.
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk