Yahoo "sticks it" to the free leagues - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Yahoo "sticks it" to the free leagues

Moderator: Football Moderators

Yahoo "sticks it" to the free leagues

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:04 pm

I haven't signed up for any drafts yet, but in scrolling through Yahoo and looking at the leagues and signups, I noticed that you can't do any live drafts on Saturdays or Sundays in either August or September in free leagues - this includes public, private and custom leagues. Upon reading through their site further, it states that the paid leagues, Football Plus, get the preferred draft times this year.
As for the other days of the week, the calendar shows that draft times are from 7 AM - 3 PM MST from Mon - Thurs, and 7 AM - 1 PM on Fri. Don't know if these times will be expanded or not.
Looks like they're really trying to screw the people who play the freebies in order to get them to join paid leagues - kinda going a little overboard I think. If they want to encourage people to join paid leagues maybe they should offer a better payoff than a crappy t-shirt!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BrutallyHuge » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:06 pm

I hope they stick it to the deadbeats. Yahoo hobos give fantasy football a bad name.

I'll stick to my $150 CBS Sportsline leagues. It's only $150...what are we, paupers?
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:08 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:I hope they stick it to the deadbeats. Yahoo hobos give fantasy football a bad name.

I'll stick to my $150 CBS Sportsline leagues. It's only $150...what are we, paupers?

I am - just went through a costly divorce! !+) :*) :-#
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:09 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:I hope they stick it to the deadbeats. Yahoo hobos give fantasy football a bad name.

Yeah, actually.

Color me Yahoo hobo. :-b

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mysticphysh » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:22 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:

Yeah, actually.

Color me Yahoo hobo. :-b

Tell me about it, we're so cash strapped this year, unless something changes by sept, I probably won't be in any money leagues this year.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jayday » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:27 pm

1. Yahoo public leagues are pointless....Why play with a bunch of morons you will just dominate every week?

2. People that pay should get the preferred time....

3. If you want to do a live draft with friends through instant messenger, record the results, then have the commissioner input the rosters by offline draft during the free league time frame....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:30 pm

call me crazy, I actually like doing it on a weeknight anyway. I look forward to the weekend without prompting. But a nice Tuesday or Wednesday draft breaks up the week nicely. Plus, I like spending the first part of the next morning at work scrolling through the teams and analayzing the situation.

I think it is a smart business move by Yahoo. I spend a lot of time on the darkside as well, and I gotta say, the complaints about yahoo strike me as unfair sometimes. not that valid criticisms don't exist, but considering the scope of their offerings, all for free, I think it is pretty good all things considered. I wish they would finally institute keeper leagues, and sometimes in baseball they could be more on the ball with callups, but other than that, I am fine with what they offer.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:21 pm

If i remember correctly yahoo does this every year.....as the season draws closer and closer more spaces open up.
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby The_Dude » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:33 pm

For my main league, I have a last Sunday at 5:30 pst/8:30 est draft set up on a Yahoo free league, but I signed up the first day. More likely, what this indicates is that a record number of leagues have already been created this year --- which makes me wonder if Yahoo's servers are actually ready for the season to start. :-o

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby AsianChexMix » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:15 pm

It's not that they don't draft on weekends, its that those spots have closed up. I have my three leagues drafting on the same Saturday after preseason with like 2 hours apart.
AsianChexMix
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk