Return to General Talk

"Cool" Parents

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby moonhead » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:08 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
moonhead wrote:
mysticphysh wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
moonhead wrote:i don't even smoke pot anymore. 11 and 12 is a little young to be starting on dope. if they were 16-17...then maybe that would be cool. ;-7

that's about when i started...and i turned out fine...i guess

So that makes it ok?? :-?

to smoke pot? sure. not to be given it by your parents, though.

Why does it make a difference how you get it?

there are certain things that a parent shouldn't condone.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:16 pm

moonhead wrote:
mysticphysh wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
moonhead wrote:i don't even smoke pot anymore. 11 and 12 is a little young to be starting on dope. if they were 16-17...then maybe that would be cool. ;-7

;-D
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:16 pm

moonhead wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
moonhead wrote:
mysticphysh wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

Why does it make a difference how you get it?

there are certain things that a parent shouldn't condone.

Because it's wrong or because..... Why?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby moonhead » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:28 pm

there have to be limits to have a healthy relationship with a child or parent. there needs to be barriers. open dialogue is a good idea, but giving your child drugs is not healthy. i won't care if my kid is smoking a little bit of pot in highschool/college. i won't buy it or give it to them...but i know damn well that i'll talk with them about it. and make sure that they understand that it can control their life if they let it.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:42 pm

moonhead wrote:there have to be limits to have a healthy relationship with a child or parent. there needs to be barriers. open dialogue is a good idea, but giving your child drugs is not healthy. i won't care if my kid is smoking a little bit of pot in highschool/college. i won't buy it or give it to them...but i know damn well that i'll talk with them about it. and make sure that they understand that it can control their life if they let it.

Cool. Yeah, that's how I feel too. You should do an infommercial moon.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:45 pm

moonhead wrote:there have to be limits to have a healthy relationship with a child or parent. there needs to be barriers. open dialogue is a good idea, but giving your child drugs is not healthy. i won't care if my kid is smoking a little bit of pot in highschool/college. i won't buy it or give it to them...but i know damn well that i'll talk with them about it. and make sure that they understand that it can control their life if they let it.

That's a pretty healthy outlook on the whole child/pot situation, Moon. You sure you're not holding back on us? Are you sure you're not a 40-year-old dad in a tweed vest? :-?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:04 pm

knapplc wrote:

That's a pretty healthy outlook on the whole child/pot situation, Moon. You sure you're not holding back on us? Are you sure you're not a 40-year-old dad in a tweed vest? :-?

it's seersucker.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dirt Bag » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:24 pm

Or you could just tell your kids that drugs are bad and can easily be misused and can ruin your life forever.

I know I am young and misguided but, moon, how can you say that you would not care if your kid smoked pot during his teenage years...? It's your life/kids not mine im not trying to be a b**** about things but it just seems absurd.

You don't need drugs to make you cool or feel good... B-)
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:53 pm

Dirt Bag wrote:Or you could just tell your kids that drugs are bad and can easily be misused and can ruin your life forever.

I know I am young and misguided but, moon, how can you say that you would not care if your kid smoked pot during his teenage years...? It's your life/kids not mine im not trying to be a b**** about things but it just seems absurd.

take my name out of your sig. and when you grow up...maybe you'll understand that there are worse things for kids to be doing than puffing on a joint on the weekend.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:56 pm

Dirt Bag wrote:Or you could just tell your kids that drugs are bad and can easily be misused and can ruin your life forever.

Everything you said was very true DB. Thing is, eventually, a kid grows a mind of his own and finds more independence. At this point, my 6-year old knows that drugs are bad. As a matter of fact, he reassures me, often, that he does not use drugs or steroids. I am 1 year older than my brother. We were raised the same way, by the same parents. I got into a lot of trouble, which involved some drugs and a lot of alcohol. My brother never drank, smoked, had sex, etc. So, you can see, it doesn't always matter what you tell a kid, eventually he/she has to decide on their own. Hopefully you raise them and teach them properly, but that doesn't guarantee anything. One of my friends' dads I thought had a pretty good way of putting things. He told his son that if he ever was out drinking and got drunk to call him. He did want his son driving drunk, obviously, but knew there was the possibility that he would drink at some point. He went on to emphasize that, after driving him home, he would never mention it again, therefore reassuring that he would receive that call if the occasion arose. I don't know how I would/will exactly handle it, I'd love to not have to, but I like your mindset right now DB. It's honorable. Keep it up! ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk