"i'm a MAC...and i'm a PC" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

"i'm a MAC...and i'm a PC"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:26 am

moonhead wrote:
The_Dude wrote:I'm a militaristic PC user who married a MAC-lover and has since converted her.

That said, I think the commercials are funny.


hmmm, in my experience it's usually the other way around... :-?


For people who have taste it is. ;-7
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Postby ironman » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:32 am

TheBigBakedBean wrote:I wouldn't say I hate them, but I disagree with the principle of the one that argues Macs are better because there aren't as many Mac viruses.

The reason there aren't many viruses that infect Macs is that it's inefficient to even write a virus for Macs since there just aren't that many Mac users out there.

If there was a 50/50 split between PCs and Macs in use in America, there'd be a 50/50 split in which platform viruses infect.

So they want more people to use Macs. But if the commercial works, they're going to have to go back and say, "well that was only true when noone had a Mac. Now that everybody does, yeah - there are plenty of viruses."


Exactly, they make it seem that Macs are impervious to any sort of bug. What annoys me are my friends who are Mac owners and chastise me for my dirty PC.

I'll probably buy a new computer in another year or so, and I will honestly consider the Mac, but it'll probably come down to price for me.

Why would I buy a Mac? Not because of those commercials and not because of it doesn't have as many viruses out there attacking them. Its because I'm sick of dealing with Dell's horrible HORRIBLE HORRIBLE tech support. I've only had to call twice but the last time I talked to 11 different people, 7 of which had thick Indian accents that I had trouble understanding. I was hung up on once. I called tech support who said it was a customer service problem who then transfered me back to tech support. And to top it all off, they never answered my #$*&! question! I actually had a buddy finally come over and fix my problem. After this whole incident I got a customer survey from Dell sent to me asking to assess my satisfaction. I pretty much tore them a new one, and for suggestions to how they can improve I wrote, "Move your tech support back to the US!" So I send that back and a day later I get a call from another yahoo in India for Dell asking me what didn't get fixed. I just told him to not call me again and hung up. Just a crappy experience all around.
Image
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar
Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 805
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Dubuque

Postby mysticphysh » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:08 am

Tech support? Wait...Dell has tech support??? :-b

I never deal with tech support for ANY company...besides Netgear. You HAVE to call netgear because they dont give you full instructions...long story, it's just their way of making sure you register your product because you can't call tech support unless it's registered.

Anyways, back to tech support. Tech support is nothing more than people pulled off the street reading a telemarketting script. If you have a problem they dont have a script for, they're lost because they're not allowed to think for themselves. If I have a problem with something, I work it out myself or I start hitting the tech message boards where I can get answers from people who actually know computers.

As for the commercials, luckily at the moment I have no tv so I haven't seen them. I know what they're talking about tho. Where you can run Windows on a Mac? First off, only geeks and nerds have a need for a dual OS system, unless you're in a professional environment. Secondly, that new feature by Mac isn't really trying to convert PC users. Sure, they'll try to drum up new business with it, but for the most part, that new feature is for hardcore Mac users who are tired of not getting to use all the neat new toys that are built for PCs only. :-b
Image
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 3465
Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby WickedSmaat » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:16 am

I'm a mac :-B actually I have 2 macs :-D

Though you guys make it seem like no one has a mac. I have nothing against PCs, in fact I have one in the other room still hooked up, but I just like my mac a lot better.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 8165
Joined: 1 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby The_Dude » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:21 am

mysticphysh wrote:Tech support is nothing more than people pulled off the street reading a telemarketting script. If you have a problem they dont have a script for, they're lost because they're not allowed to think for themselves. If I have a problem with something, I work it out myself or I start hitting the tech message boards where I can get answers from people who actually know computers.


Most tech support is currently be outsourced to India, and yes, tech support centers are big call centers where none of the people are actually trained technicians, but rather have to follow a trouble-shooting script that pops up on screen and they may be working for 10 companies at a time - computers, phone, etc.
Image

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 3481
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 14 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby mysticphysh » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:38 am

The_Dude wrote:
mysticphysh wrote:Tech support is nothing more than people pulled off the street reading a telemarketting script. If you have a problem they dont have a script for, they're lost because they're not allowed to think for themselves. If I have a problem with something, I work it out myself or I start hitting the tech message boards where I can get answers from people who actually know computers.


Most tech support is currently be outsourced to India, and yes, tech support centers are big call centers where none of the people are actually trained technicians, but rather have to follow a trouble-shooting script that pops up on screen and they may be working for 10 companies at a time - computers, phone, etc.


Actually, you get more intelligent people if you get somebody in India. My wife works for Convergys, which does the customer service for DirecTv, along with a bunch of other companies, but she is only with the DirecTv contract. Anyways, she was telling me that they hire people in India with PhDs because they are one of the best paying companies in India....now understanding them is a whole other story! :-P

Going off topic here, but this past December, we took a vacation on Delta. We have a 4 yr old, so I wanted to make absolute sure that our 3 seats were together, not seperated by an isle. I called before we left and got somebody in India who assured me the seats were all together. Guess what we found out when we got our tickets. Seperated by an isle, which means my wife and daughter had to sit with a stranger and I had to sit with 2 strangers. :-P :-P :-P

On the return flight I called the night before and got another indian who, once again, assured me all the seats were together, not seperated by an isle. I called once again in the morning before the flight and for a change got an american, who assured me that all the seats were together not seperated by an isle. When we were checking in, I asked the lady at the ticket counter if the seats were seperated by an isle and she said they were not. We get on the frickin plane and guess what!!! :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P

in the span of a week and a half, I was lied to by Delta 4 times! No wonder they're going under. :-P


whoa...WAY off topic there... :-b
Image
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 3465
Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:13 pm

I hate all of them except the one where the PC freezes and then reboots. That one made me laugh the first time :-b
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8041
Joined: 6 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: C-Town, OH - Dawg Bone Country

Postby Atog » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:01 pm

There was recently a challange on the internet where I guy wanted to see how easy it was to hack Mac's OSX. Some guy had it down within 30 minutes, because there are so many security holes.
http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/s ... 748,00.htm
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 4660
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ann Arbor

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:23 pm

Atog wrote:There was recently a challange on the internet where I guy wanted to see how easy it was to hack Mac's OSX. Some guy had it down within 30 minutes, because there are so many security holes.
http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/s ... 748,00.htm


The Mac developers have been aware of stuff like this for some time, but don't have to rush to make updates like the Windows team. Mac's "security" relies on their unpopularity.
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 537
Joined: 11 May 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Lexington, KY

Postby citybirds27 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:48 pm

The_Dude wrote:I'm a militaristic PC user who married a MAC-lover and has since converted her.

That said, I think the commercials are funny.


Yah, I think they're funny, I usually like to watch them.
Image
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Matchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 2060
Joined: 9 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 12:19 hours
(and 43 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact