Mentos + Diet Coke = Big Eruption - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Mentos + Diet Coke = Big Eruption

Moderator: Football Moderators

Mentos + Diet Coke = Big Eruption

Postby jayday » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:00 am

Link Here

I thought this was pretty cool how they coordinated all the stuff....They also explain how it was done, and other experiments on their site as well as some bloopers.....

But I will say...DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:36 am

I don't have Quicktime at work, but just from reading the description on the website I think I really need to check this out tonight.

Things that go SPLOOSH! or BOOM! are cool. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dirt Bag » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:14 am

Another thing that works is regular coke or pepsi (i think maybe it is diet) and then doing winterfresh lifesavers...its the exact same effect just different chemicals...if your going to do this drill a hole in the cap...set the mentos/lifesaver in the cap and quickly screw it on. ;-D
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:04 pm

Dirt Bag wrote:Another thing that works is regular coke or pepsi (i think maybe it is diet) and then doing winterfresh lifesavers...its the exact same effect just different chemicals...if your going to do this drill a hole in the cap...set the mentos/lifesaver in the cap and quickly screw it on. ;-D

Actually it's the same chemicals...
My chem teacher did this in class once. He got coke all over the floor and he set up buckets and towels too.

What's happening is all the Carbon Dioxide in the coke is released very very quickly due to the presence of the mentos (catalyst). Then the pressure forces the coke out.

I'm sure mercer (the cafe chemist) can confirm.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:13 pm

Yeah, that's right...you know, Kari Byron did this exact same experiment in the FHM she was in last month. ;-D :L

Here's one of me doing a similarly explosive reaction...except I was using 35% Hydrogen Peroxide (roughly 3.5 times stronger than the stuff you buy as an antiseptic 8-o), Potassium Iodide, and soap. :-b

(note that the graduated cylinder ends about 8 inches from the top of the reaction...and it was only halfway through at this point...it seriously looked like an atom bomb when it was done)

The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby confused_jake » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:54 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Yeah, that's right...you know, Kari Byron did this exact same experiment in the FHM she was in last month. ;-D :L

Here's one of me doing a similarly explosive reaction...except I was using 35% Hydrogen Peroxide (roughly 3.5 times stronger than the stuff you buy as an antiseptic 8-o), Potassium Iodide, and soap. :-b

(note that the graduated cylinder ends about 8 inches from the top of the reaction...and it was only halfway through at this point...it seriously looked like an atom bomb when it was done)

I like how theres the one little towel underneath the graduated cylinder.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mysticphysh » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:23 pm

some people have too much time on their hands. :-b
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jayday » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Image

First Aid kit within arm's distance...smart :-D
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:32 am

Ha, yeah, the paper towels...I didn't expect the reaction to be as violent as it was. That's the funny part. Shortly after that was taken, I jumped back about 5 feet because it went all over the front of the cabinet and past the paper towels onto the box of gloves. :-b :-B :-B
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby lmcjaho » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:44 am

The funny part is Mercer willingly posts pics like this of himself and then wonders why he can't get a girlfriend... :-o

Sorry for the cheapshot MB - couldn't help it... ;-7
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk